BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took my 99 K1200LT 70,000 miles to beat 70 mpg. I got 72 going from Boise, Oklahoma to Greensburg, Kansas. I know the wind helped but I got 209 miles out of 2.9 gallons. After getting 68.6 on the previous two tanks my trip to New Mexico didn't cost much even at today's prices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
That's AMAZING! I once had a moped that didn't do much better than!

Loren
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
929 Posts
Could you imagine having to head into that headwind...? My 99 did mid 60's with a famous Kansas Tailwind...however, going across I-70 wasn't so great. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,181 Posts
lenny said:
what was your avg. speed??
prob 32.5 mph in 5th gear w/ wind at the back downhill :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Good grief! Mine wouldn't do tha well coming DOWN Pike's Peak... in neutral.... with the engine off!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
lurch102 said:
Good grief! Mine wouldn't do tha well coming DOWN Pike's Peak... in neutral.... with the engine off!!!
Me to. When I had my 99 LT the best I could get was 55MPG and that was climbing in altitude from Phoenix at approximately 1200 feet to a high of approximately 5000 feet at 55 mph. I kept it at 55 for a tankful just to see what the best MPG I could get, otherwise I was getting around 42MPG. With my newly purchased 09, still braking in the best I have gotten is 46 MPG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Got to be driving way tooo slow. Think of all the fun you missed while being passed by everyone on the road. See earlier post re .high speed chase in Seattle. :wave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
Holy MPG Gas Man! :eek: Best I have ever gotten on my 99 is 44 mpg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
ATFLT said:
It took my 99 K1200LT 70,000 miles to beat 70 mpg. I got 72 going from Boise, Oklahoma to Greensburg, Kansas. I know the wind helped but I got 209 miles out of 2.9 gallons. After getting 68.6 on the previous two tanks my trip to New Mexico didn't cost much even at today's prices.
How long did that 209 miles take?
I know that if you can keep to around 50mph in top gear your fuel economy skyrockets however I find that a severe health hazard.
I would have fallen asleep!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,341 Posts
The very best I have done is 62 on one tank during CCR in Colorado in '04. I spent the entire tank at or above 6k feet ... doing total mountain riding..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had the cruise set at 70. You need to run that to keep up with traffic. One thing I don't do is hold up traffic as I would like to get a little older.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,206 Posts
Tell me you are having trouble with your Math. :rotf:
Is that really possible on any LT. Mine is only a year old and I think I came close to 50mph but ordinarily between 45 - 50. If that is a glimpse of things to come well hallelujah! I hope someone is not pulling my leg. I'm going to test it both ways bike computer and the old fashion way slide rule. Results to follow . . .
ride safe :bmw:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
Up until this year I had been running regular with 10% ethanol and averaging 52mpg. This year I decided what the heck run a couple of tanks of premium through it. Haven't stopped. Been getting 58 to 60 pretty regularly. So it pays for itself and I have a little peppier engine.
02 LT/64500 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
ATFLT said:
I had the cruise set at 70. You need to run that to keep up with traffic. One thing I don't do is hold up traffic as I would like to get a little older.
That is truly amazing.
The best I have had so far from my RT is 60mpg (imperial) or metric at 4.5 litres per 100 kilometers.
Your post doesnt say where in the globe you are however given that you are quoting Miles per Gallon Ill assume that you are from the US.
Im fairly sure that a US gallon is slightly smaller than an Imperial gallon. The imperial gallon is 4.5 litres but Ive got a feeling that you guys only measure 3.8 litres to the gallon which makes this economy even more amazing.
Based on your math and converted back into metric you have achieved pretty close to 3 litres per 100 kilometers.
I think in track and feild thats what they call "wind assisted"
You should get some sort of green award :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
This all shows how much of the mileage is determined from aerodynamic drag. Higher speeds really hurt mileage - especially with high drag vehicles like SUVs and pickups.

I wonder what the ultimate still air mileage possibilities of a K1200LT really are?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
I think that same wind blew through NY on Monday. In the morning, I posted a solid 55 mpg heading south on the Taconic. In the afternoon, I struggled through some tough headwinds to post 41.5 mpg on my way north on the Taconic and I-87 northway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
billsmith said:
Tell me you are having trouble with your Math. :rotf:
Is that really possible on any LT. Mine is only a year old and I think I came close to 50mph but ordinarily between 45 - 50. If that is a glimpse of things to come well hallelujah! I hope someone is not pulling my leg. I'm going to test it both ways bike computer and the old fashion way slide rule. Results to follow . . .
ride safe :bmw:
I have kept records on fuel usage since I bought the bike in 2005 and I have been right around 50 mpg the entire time. I do a lot of commuting so I think the wind cancels out for me and that average economy has stayed constant whether I am at home (5400 ft) or on vacation (all the way down to sea level). What others have said is very true, speed has a huge effect on fuel usage. Aerodynamic drag forces are dependent on the square of the velocity so not treating every road like your own racetrack will save you money
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top