BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2008 Rt is coming up for its 6000 maintenance. I hope to do this myself as the nearest dealer is better then two hours away. What should I expect? What fluids should I use in the tranny and rear, I not want to start an oil thread! Is there a good DVD to talk me through the process?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Oh Boy... here we go.

There is a good DVD on the subject... Here is a link to the most popular one:
http://www.jimvonbaden.com/
(Note: the photos show a GS... the actual work DVD is for the R1200... the engine is all the same.)

This site also has free pictorial guides for most if not everything you will do.

Basically this is what I personally do every 6k miles.

Oil and oil filter change along with crush washer.
Final Drive drain and refill.
Valve Adjustment
Throttle body synchronization (TBS)

At the 12k service I also do the Air filter, the transmission drain and re-fill

Note: The valves and the TBS I do not do every time after my 24k service since once they are broken in they do not need much change. But, I will do it every time before a significant trip if it feels like it needs it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Jim VonBaden offers a set of DVDs that cover maintenance of the R series BMW's. I recently purchased a set for my camhead 2011RT and just viewed them this weekend. I found they provided a lot of good information, the production quality is good, and are reasonable priced. You can purchase all of his DVD's as set or on an individual basis.

The link to his website is www.jimvonbaden.com/

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just did all this for the first time myself, and it isn't too bad. My tip almost learned the hard way - make sure you are looking at the correct year when following through the service manual. Almost resulted in me removing a speed sensor instead of the fill plug in my '09 for the final drive.

I took my time to make sure I got it right and it took all afternoon on a rainy weekend day.

The tips found on this forum were very helpful, in my opinion.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts