BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of adding a single row led light bar, under the headlight of a '00

Think I'll have clearance issues under braking, making contact with the front fender?
It's 2" deep

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Thinking of adding a single row led light bar, under the headlight of a '00

Think I'll have clearance issues under braking, making contact with the front fender?
It's 2" deep
I struggled with trying to place it under the headlight and making brackets that would hold it high enough to not interfere with the front fender or the forks was just more than I wanted to do. That is why i placed it above. If you do mount it below and it works well, make sure to make a template of the mounts so others can follow your example. The stock LT headlight is far less than desired so workable upgrades are always welcome.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up going with a slightly different led bar than yours... This one has a fairly tight U bracket si it sits very close to the plastic under the headlight.

How did you gauge that there wasn't enough clearance?
Do you know the amount of travel?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
I ended up going with a slightly different led bar than yours... This one has a fairly tight U bracket si it sits very close to the plastic under the headlight.

How did you gauge that there wasn't enough clearance?
Do you know the amount of travel?

Thanks
Quick measurements showed about 5 inches between the fender and the bottom of the plastic cowling. The light bar i have is 2 inches high with clearance, it would be more. I have no idea how much travel the front end actually has but I figured 2 1/2 inches was not enough so I went above.

Eazymount who made the mounting brackets for the PIAA lights on the LT made sure that they had adequate clearance. Probably the smallest form factor light of its type but expensive. I looked at other small lights to try and add some like the PIAA lights but they would have been an inch lower and probably would have interfered so I went this route with it mounted above and am happy with the way it turned out.

Just curious, what LED bar did you get?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
Total suspension travel at the wheel is just over 4 inches, even more when your front ball joint lets go. Fender will touch the fairing. But then that is a different story.

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Registered
165 Posts
.......... even more when your front ball joint lets go. Fender will touch the fairing. But then that is a different story.
Too many wheelies or stoppies?:grin:

Ken

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
Too many wheelies or stoppies?:grin:

Ken
Not mine but I know of three that did fail with a fracture on the ball joint shaft that goes into the telelever and one where the ball joint was loose in the fork bridge and pulled out. All four cases were repaired with the replacement of the ball joint.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm... Sounds like I'm playing with fire!
I may cut into the small bit between the gap under the light and put it in there... I'll be taking a look at it Saturday - I'll update then!
Of course, it may just get sent back too! 😁

I git the Auxbeam light... 6" with cats eyes lenses.
Its a 30w single led with a fairly wide spot pattern... Don't need a spread as I have the piaas on the sides.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Hmmm... Sounds like I'm playing with fire!
I may cut into the small bit between the gap under the light and put it in there... I'll be taking a look at it Saturday - I'll update then!
Of course, it may just get sent back too! 😁

I git the Auxbeam light... 6" with cats eyes lenses.
Its a 30w single led with a fairly wide spot pattern... Don't need a spread as I have the piaas on the sides.
I bought an Auxbeam 2 row before the one i have now and after I got it, I was wondering what I was thinking. No where to actually put something that large. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T9GC18K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not mine but I know of three that did fail with a fracture on the ball joint shaft that goes into the telelever and one where the ball joint was loose in the fork bridge and pulled out. All four cases were repaired with the replacement of the ball joint.
It's off the light bar subject discussed in this thread but I'm glad you brought it up.
Consequences of this failure at the wrong time could be deadly.
You know of four failures, wonder how many more there were.

Could have been be some bad ball joints but I assume a significant hit (pot hole, etc.) started a fracture then let loose at a later date..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's off the light bar subject discussed in this thread but I'm glad you brought it up.
Consequences of this failure at the wrong time could be deadly.
You know of four failures, wonder how many more there were.

Could have been be some bad ball joints but I assume a significant hit (pot hole, etc.) started a fracture then let loose at a later date..
Soooo.... Stay away from potholes and light bars then?!! :wave

·
Registered
165 Posts
Soooo.... Stay away from potholes and light bars then?!! :wave

Again, glad John brought it up.
If you think this could be a serious subject worth knowing about, I'm glad to see it's taken life in a new thread.

Let's all help keep our LT riders community vertical.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts