BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to take a trip, fortunately, I get to spend 6 hours on the LT...unfortunately means 6 hours on the interstate (rather than avoiding the interstate at all costs - several reasons for taking the interstate for which I won't get into right now)

What I'm looking for is advice for interstate travel:

Tire pressure change?
What pre-load to use?
Any other stuff?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I would not expect that you would have to do antyhing different unless you are going two up or have a ton of luggage.

6 hours is an easy ride on an LT even with a stock seat. (like DanDiver said. Stock Seat and Stock Butt works for me)

If you are worried about aches and pains for a long ride, take an advil, tylenol, etc 30 min before you leave on the ride as a prophylactic measure to ease the aches.

Otherwise, stop when you want and take it easy.

How many miles you plan on doing?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I agree with what has been said, all good advice. The only thing I would add is to not wait until your rear end is sore to take a break.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys...

I also think the stock seat, stock butt thing is working for me so far. I did do a one day Tail of the Dragon trip (https://www.bmwlt.com/threads/62492/), though it was a lot more hours it was about 436 miles. That seat worked okay for me, but I was on and off and on and off and on and off...only did about 3 or 4 hours straight at one time coming home.

This trip will be all in one leg. 363 miles...323 miles of that on the interstate or 65mph 4 lane. With my wife and young daughters following me in the car, I'm sure we'll be stopping several times. So I should be okay with plenty of breaks!

Only problem with the tunes is that I stole my bike form a dealer because the ABS and Radio didn't work (got her for $4000, 99 model with 64K). She runs and rides great, but no tunes...my Scala Q2 only picks up radio marginally, and the mp3 inputs max volume is almost too low to hear at highway speed. So, I might just have to sing the whole way for my tunes!

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Basic stuff: stay hydrated. Take frequent breaks.
As for tires -- I always run at max anyway.
I keep the shocks pretty stiff. Just like the way the bike feels that way.
I've done long days on the interstate, twice what you're thinking about, not a problem.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
1worshipguy said:
Thanks guys... Snip....

.....end snip my Scala Q2 only picks up radio marginally, and the mp3 inputs max volume is almost too low to hear at highway speed. So, I might just have to sing the whole way for my tunes!

Thanks for your input!
I have the Scala Q2's and love them. Because I modified them so that I can listen to the tunes at the same level I listen to them in my living room. Read this thread and it will steer you in the right direction. You can use regular earbuds if you don't want to go to the trouble/expense to do the molded earphone thing.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52455&highlight=earphones

Loren

·
Registered
256 Posts
Use the Speed Control, pick good radio stations and/or have a good selection of CDs.

Drink enough fluids and stop now and then to smell the roses...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My scala did not have enough volume either...

I did an upgrade to the firmware and also moved the ear pieces around inside the helmet and now I get plenty of volume...

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
1worshipguy said:
About to take a trip, fortunately, I get to spend 6 hours on the LT...unfortunately means 6 hours on the interstate (rather than avoiding the interstate at all costs - several reasons for taking the interstate for which I won't get into right now)

What I'm looking for is advice for interstate travel:

Tire pressure change?
What pre-load to use?
Any other stuff?

Thanks!
Normal tire pressures are fine. No need to change preload. Hardest part is staying awake...

·
Premium Member
7,828 Posts
A way to talk with your family in the car would be nice. CB radio, FRS radio, cell phone. Failing all of that, work out a small set of basic hand signals for breaks, faster!, slower!, etc.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
A lot of good advice so far but I'm a little confused,
first you said six hours on the interstate,
then you said only 323 miles?

You must have figured in time for lunch and a short nap after. :rolleyes:

Come on dude, you're riding an LT, not a Harley. :bike:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Hans, you forgot he is traveling with the fam! Probably going to be lots of "I have to go potty" breaks.

Loren

SilverBuffalo said:

·
Registered
929 Posts
1worshipguy said:
...my Scala Q2 only picks up radio marginally, and the mp3 inputs max volume is almost too low to hear at highway speed. So, I might just have to sing the whole way for my tunes!
I think you need to listen to Loren on this one--and once you get that done a little Hillsong, Vineyard and Brandon Heath would be my recommendations... :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wear a high vis vest, you will notice a big difference how drivers notice you during lane changes etc.

·
Registered
635 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:

:histerica :rotf: I had a similar thought, stopping to smell the roses I guess.

·
Registered
313 Posts
All good suggestions. Tunes, hydration, self medication.

I find that drinking one of those 5 hour energy things (they don't really do much, but it takes 5 hours to get that AWFUL taste out of my mouth) seems to help me from getting stiff and sore. Also, the biggest thing to make the time pass is to twist the engine volume knob, the one on the right handlebar, closer to 10. Doing so makes a 6 hour ride a 4 hour ride. :D :D :p

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Watch those other drivers !!!!!!
Interstate travelers are a dangerous crowd.....
Always, always, turn your head and look before changing lanes.....
Passing semi's will be "rough air"...........................
Pass semi's as fast as possible (blown tires are like gernades)
Watch those other drivers.......................................
Do not tailgate or get into a duel with anyone that does................

·
Registered
90 Posts
"Pass semi's as fast as possible (blown tires are like gernades)"
Very, very true. Watched a buddy years ago get taken right off his bike by tire shrapnel. The tire blew just as we was about to go past.

Make sure truck drivers see you before you pass, then pull out as far as you can get from them in your lane.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
I'm interested to see how he's gonna' do 340 miles without refueling

1 - 20 of 35 Posts