BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 LT I tried to remove my 6-disk changer from the trunk area to gain a little more luggage space since I don't use it anymore. After unplugging and removal I found that my radio no longer works. The display will light up when turned on like it is getting power but there is no display or sound of any sort. I tried plugging it back in thinking that maybe it was some sort of a loop but still have the same problem. Does anyone know if there is a fuse that may have blown under the stingray maybe? Any other suggestions.
Thanks Bob

·
Registered
701 Posts
rsharp said:
I have a 2003 LT I tried to remove my 6-disk changer from the trunk area to gain a little more luggage space since I don't use it anymore. After unplugging and removal I found that my radio no longer works. The display will light up when turned on like it is getting power but there is no display or sound of any sort. I tried plugging it back in thinking that maybe it was some sort of a loop but still have the same problem. Does anyone know if there is a fuse that may have blown under the stingray maybe? Any other suggestions.
Thanks Bob
Bob,
Try disconnecting the battery (neg cable) for 20 mins or so then reconnect to see if that helps (resets the radio). Taking out the 6 Disc player doesn't affect the radio other than you don't get access to the player :).

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
The controller may have gotten "confused" when you pulled the changer. The battery disonnect reset will help. Removing the change does not disable the radio. Also press the CD button to step it back to radio.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Instead of waiting for some good advice I decided to remove my side covers and the control unit of the radio and look for a problem which I did not find. I had my mind made up that it had just fried the unit and I was going to get another one. Then I decided to look and see if someone came to my rescue and to my surprise you are correct. I plugged everything back in and powered it back up and it works great. I only wish that I would have checked before doing all of the extra work. Thanks again for the advice, it saved me quite a lot of money.
Bob

·
Registered
989 Posts
It is well after the fact, but you should remember never to work on disconnecting / reconnecting major parts of an electronic system (including your computers at home!) while the thing is powered up.

Fist things first:: battery off! Then do your stuff and reconnect the battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts