BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My saddlebags have way too much room, and look empty on long rides. I want to add the massively large OEM CD disc player to the right saddlebag to take up space. I have the CD player, CD frame, and the wiring cable to tie into the LT.

However, I cannot find any help on the install from the service manual. I believe I have found the hole to route the cable thru the saddlebag. But
I cannot see anything to plug the cable into the bike.

Question: where does the connector plug into the LT?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
connector should be there @ the right saddlebag

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I hope I'm wrong ... but if I recall correctly, you need to replace part (if not all) of the wiring harness that includes the connector to the CD Changer. It's not just as simple as popping the cable through the saddlebag and plugging in. If the bike didn't come originally equipped with a CD Changer, you may be biting off more than you'll be willing to chew. :eek:

Like I said ... I hope I'm wrong. For your sake.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. It looks like Joe may be correct. No obvious connector near the right saddlebag. There is a wiring diagram in the service manual that appears to run the wire up to the front gas tank area.

If I start pulling tupperware off, should there be a open unused connector up near the gas tank/cassette box? Or will I have to "splice one in" if the bike has never had a CD player.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
mongo said:
If I start pulling tupperware off, should there be a open unused connector up near the gas tank/cassette box? Or will I have to "splice one in" if the bike has never had a CD player.
I believe that connector is going to be on the LEFT side of the stingray, opposite side of the gas filler door. There will be three connectors facing the rear of the bike. One of those is for the CD Changer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you have a original wire for the CD changer you have 2 conections in one end, it is for the CD changer. You have one connection in the other end I gues, connect this in the the back of the radioconsol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe you have another option. Sometimes is the wire connectet to the radio and the other end is lokatet under your seat. Maybe you can be lucky that the factory have instaled the wire

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I will pull off the covers to access the radio up front. Always feel better knowing the plug exists where I am heading.

·
Registered
989 Posts
mongo said:
My saddlebags have way too much room, and look empty on long rides. I want to add the massively large OEM CD disc player to the right saddlebag to take up space.
I am impressed!

By the way, if you give up trying to patch the harness, remember that you can get music (and more of it) by making a connection into the AUX input (assuming your radio has the AUX function).

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is the correct answer.

I did a complete revamp of all the accessories a couple of months ago. Check out the gallery for several pics of the wiring I did.

If you didn't have the CD as an option, you need to get the CD wiring harness. I believe your best bet is www.ltparts.com. Here's the link to the part:

http://www.ltparts.com/products.php?cat=12

That's a very reasonable price, in my estimation.

You'll need to replace your radio harness, which looks like a big deal, but isn't.

Just clip the 373 zip ties BMW uses to hold their motorcycles together :histerica , and a few finger cuts and swears later, you'll have the harness installed :wow:

You'll need to drill the case for an entry point. Stock is high up on the leading edge. I'd do it high up on the back side to discourage rain from entering while driving.

The rest is VERY straight ahead, HOWEVER;

I took my CD out and replaced it with an iPod. What a huge difference. I got back a tremendous amount of luggage space, I have 4,500 tunes on it (imported in CD quality, so you can get almost 50% more if you use standard quality), the NeoProLink (here's the link to the group buy, which just started - http://www.ltparts.com/products.php?cat=12) shows the song info in the display for 2005 and later LT's and allows you to use the handlebar controls to control the iPod.

I'd buy a used iPod - probably for less than the price of a CD unit and keep it on the bike permanently. That's what I did. I have it velcroed in place so I just pop it out when I want to load more music.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mrbiker said:
If you didn't have the CD as an option, you need to get the CD wiring harness. I believe your best bet is www.ltparts.com. Here's the link to the part:

http://www.ltparts.com/products.php?cat=12

That's a very reasonable price, in my estimation.

You'll need to replace your radio harness, which looks like a big deal, but isn't.

Just clip the 373 zip ties BMW uses to hold their motorcycles together :histerica , and a few finger cuts and swears later, you'll have the harness installed :wow:

I actually purchased the CD player and cable(harness) from ltparts. I was just trying to identify where to plug it in. I will start removing tupperware-presumably from the left forward part of the bike to find the elusive open radio connector. I am hopeful I will not have to take both sides of the bike apart to reach it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
mongo said:
I actually purchased the CD player and cable(harness) from ltparts. I was just trying to identify where to plug it in. I will start removing tupperware-presumably from the left forward part of the bike to find the elusive open radio connector. I am hopeful I will not have to take both sides of the bike apart to reach it.
You don't as far as I remember. It is all on the left side.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks, it is done. There are three connectors to the left of the cassette housing after the large left body plastic is removed. It is the middle connector.

Spent the afternoon riding thru the Sierra Foothills blasting out Lawrence Welk
and his Champagne Music Makers tunes. Dude, it was sweet.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts