BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
Total conjecture, with no supporting evidence at all. Think maybe they're just bored and looking for interesting stories?

Besides, I can't even imagine how long an LT with a straight-6 motor would be, or how poorly it would handle.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
meese said:
Total conjecture, with no supporting evidence at all. Think maybe they're just bored and looking for interesting stories?

Besides, I can't even imagine how long an LT with a straight-6 motor would be, or how poorly it would handle.
Don't think straight, think V. 60 or 72 degrees, cant the front bank forward a bit so the back is not quite vertical, use it as a stressed member with minimal frame (maybe a spar down each side vs the huge monocoque/backbone arrangement they now have) and the tranny built into the engine cases instead of a separate unit as today. You could easily make that fit in the space of the current motor and tranny along with the monstrous frame backbone, keep the same wheelbase length (maybe a little shorter but not likely), probably lower the center of gravity a bit (depending on how you drape the fuel cell around it), and probably save 60-70 pounds of the 200 pound weight loss the bike needs right there. Move to CanBus drops another 13-15 pounds, and then let the engineers figure out the rest of the Jenny Craig plan for the beast. 145HP, 110 lb. ft. of torque, that's my prediction. ;)

And on the engine config - just think about the current GT motor. Lop off one cylinder and add a matching row of three behind it. 1800cc, no waiting!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hmmmmm......here is more interesting info......This also strongly suggests the new LT , probably a six , is on the way.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=6137&Page=1

to quote the motorcycle USA article :

"The long time boss of BMW's motorcycle division, Dr. Herbert Diess, has stepped down in favor of Hendrick Von Kuenheim. (He is the son of Eberhard Von Kuenheim, who was in charge of the entire BMW brand from 1970 until 1993.) Unlike his predecessor who has an engineering background, the new man comes from marketing and has been appointed to further change the brand image in line with all the new recent releases of new sportier models.

We have mentioned before that there is the distinct possibility of BMW

producing a new tourer in the near future, possibly with a brand-new six-cylinder motor powering it.

Well, sources now suggest that it has actually reached the design stage and aerodynamic tests are taking place on the fixed luggage system. It appears to have aero-foils on it for stability, a horizontal one on the top box and vertical ones on the panniers. No doubt these are for stability, but should give the new LT a very futuristic look! "

No reason to make an inline six mounted longitudinally, too long....horizontal or better yet V would be best.......

How amazing would a six cylinder version (one easy suggestion - just add two more cylinders to make it an 1800 ) of the current K motor be in a new LT ? Totally saweet if you ask me. What is BMW known for ? Awesome straight sixes.....super smooth, torquey, powerful, unique , sound incredible . Packaging would be a challenge but they have been successfully done before........who knows.

I am starting to save my change....

:bmw:

·
Old Dawg
3,282 Posts
Ken... Remember Andy and I wanted to make bets on this ;) ?

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I've owned 7 V4s (Hondas) and I absolutely loved them. A V6 powerplant in the new LT would make me giddy as a school girl.
Here's to hopin'!!! :bmw:

·
Registered
531 Posts
I would like to see the current brick or even the new transverse I-4 have a rooots type supercharger on it. I think with a little work you cold fit a nice Eaton under the tupperware, and no one would have to know. Then you can have your cake and eat it too. Great power and torque everywhere and when you are not on it good fuel milage.

I put one on my 98 Mustang GT and loved every second of it and I still got 26 mpg on the highway.

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
scottydawg said:
The only thing that sounds realistic so far is to not expect anything until 2010. The rest is simply conjecture. :)

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
meese said:
The only thing that sounds realistic so far is to not expect anything until 2010. The rest is simply conjecture. :)
Roger that!

·
Registered
273 Posts
With the smoothness and torque available from a well designed V6 engine, that would be one awesome machine. A worthy successor to the current LT. Which means BMW will NOT do that :) .

radar

·
Cat Herder
5,852 Posts
scottydawg said:
My money is still on a 6 in line, based on the current slant 4. If you put that into a bike and put one addl. cylinder onto it left and right you would still be within the limits of the width of the current LT.

I offer another friendly wager for $1.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
messenger13 said:
I've owned 7 V4s (Hondas) and I absolutely loved them. A V6 powerplant in the new LT would make me giddy as a school girl.
Here's to hopin'!!! :bmw:
Agree about the V-Fours. Had a V65 Magna and later the VFR800i. So Joe what do you think of the ST1300...or not?

Just askin'...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Andy, I was thinking the same (as I said in my previous post , how relatively simple that would be-maybe this was their intention from the get go with this).

As with our LT's , the new design could then be heavily based on the current new K bike platform (frame engine transmission suspension etc.)

So lets imagine a Hossak front end Telelever rear end enlarged current GT with an ~1736 cc inline forward canted 6 cyl. engine with hopefully at least 150hp and a nice flat torque curve all weighing in hopefully under the current 865 lb wet weight. :bmw:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Then they should make it longer, as of now it look like a compressed bike or in other terms if we could stretch it like in comparishment:

Now 737-700
After 737-800

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Beemerider said:
Agree about the V-Fours. Had a V65 Magna and later the VFR800i. So Joe what do you think of the ST1300...or not?

Just askin'...
back some years ago, I always thought I'd own an ST1100 someday, but it just never happened. And when Honda released the ST1300, well ... it just doesn't 'speak to me'. I'm sure it's a great bike, I just don't like it for a number of personal reasons. I've sat on a few, and got off and never looked back. I've probably just drank too much of the BMW Kool-Aid lately. :bmw: :p

·
Registered
293 Posts
andy said:
My money is still on a 6 in line, based on the current slant 4. If you put that into a bike and put one addl. cylinder onto it left and right you would still be within the limits of the width of the current LT.

I offer another friendly wager for $1.
You might be right because BMW is famous for straight sixes and have never produced a V6 that I know of.

I will add an option for a 5 cylinder engine ... half of their V10.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Whatever they come up with I'll probably take one look at it and say.....Yuck, no thank you.

then a year or two later....hmmmn

I didn't like the first K-bike I saw, (butt ugly) wouldn't even take a test ride
Rode the "oilheads" didn't like them either, ......surging etc.
Sneered at the LT... That's a GW I don't want one

A couple years later I was riding a K75RT then a K1100LT put almost a hundred thou on each one,
then I test drove the LT....wow....what a great handling motorcycle,

looked at the GT, still don't like it,
that GS Adventure looks pretty nice but I'm sure my wife prefers the comfort of the LT.
So whatever they come up with, "you guys" will have a couple of years to "work the bugs out of them" before I'll "come aboard"

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Hey Hans, Anyone ever call you and old phart? :D

BTW, when you guys down south going to do another RTE?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts