BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy's Dad bought this bike. His Dad passed away a few years ago and so he brought home a few weeks ago, put fresh gas in, kicked 5 times and it was running. Very cool. The bike hadn't run for over 20 years. His dad bought new headers and pipes for it. It needs grips, a few cables, and some general TLC, but seems like it'll run just fine!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The uploader doesn't seem to work. I'll try to attach the photos again tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I wonder if that bike had a side car installed at one time? Looks like "leading link front forks" or is that standard on the good ole Beemers?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Seems like that was a standard sort of feature, My wife's father had a 58 with the leading link front.........For some reason, I'm thinking early 60's...........I have a picture of her dad leaning against his but that's pretty much all I have to go on........... :bmw:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I love the pic of "old vs new" - awesome looking bikes (both!).

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
my 65 looked like that, Earles forks discontinued late 60's, the frame had sidecar mounts standard from the factory, the Earles on those bikes had a solo or sidecar pivot point on the swingarm - I put mine in sidecar once to see how it drove and of course did not corner well.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
I wonder if that bike had a side car installed at one time? Looks like "leading link front forks" or is that standard on the good ole Beemers?
The 1955 to I think 1967 had the Earles forks on them. Some of witch are the R26, R27, R50, R60, R69 & so on. There is a solo & sidecar setting on the leading link. Move the swing arm to the front hole for sidecar work, & in the back hole for solo.

I put a '74 R60/6 motor in a 1965 R50 frame in '87 & road it to Alaska & back. There a fun bike to ride..:bmw:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as I know, it never had a hack attached, but it does have factory fittings. I wonder if that was standard?

Notice the ball on the frame at the rear swingarm location and receiver fittings welded on the frame just under the tank.

What's amazing to me is that this bike, totally unrestored or unridden for 20+ years, started on the 5th kick the first time it fired and starts on the first kick thereafter. My friend has some work to do before it's roadworthy, but it's complete and sure is neat.

When he gets it done, he and I are going to take a cruise on his '72 R60/5 and this '57. I can't wait.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Even the tire pump is still there!

I think the speedo shows somewhere around 3,300 miles

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
For those who know about old BMWs - what are the knobs on the mufflers for? Looks like they operate a gate that would close the end of the exhaust pipe.

Tom

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Close to keep varmints out, Open to ride.. Nice feature..

What a cool old bike....

A full restore is in order and she'll purr like a kitten..

Only 3,000 miles ? Wow...

Have fun and ride the fire out of that when it's fixed up...

John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts