BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have your attention..I have been shopping around before I renew my bike insurance and just found this out. If you don't carry a passenger you don't have to pay for bodily injury. The insurance is based on 2 riders. It's only $34.00 but with 3 bikes it's 3 times that....

·
Registered
17 Posts
More $$$$

If you happen to have medical insurance through a job, you can drop Uninsured motorist' to save even more. Your medical insurance pays until it runs out of limit, then the uninsured motorist kicks in. I figure if I'm in an accident that bad, no amount of insurance will help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Howdy Airborne,

You may already use USAA for your various insurance. I do and though I've always used Progressive for my bikes I found that by going through USAA to their connection with Progressive I was able to save money.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Insurance estimate for young sailor?

My son is thinking of getting a bike and I just called Progressive to get a ball park figure. He's a Hospital Corpsman, 20 years old and lives on base in the Fresno California area.

They can't answer anything without speaking to my son and he doesn't even have a bike yet. I understand their position but I am a policy holder and it's Friday afternoon when everyone should be in a good mood...

Does anyone have a guesstimate for a 20 year old sailor's insurance rate on a 650 size bike? I'm just looking for a range of cost to get an idea.

I just want to know what he might be facing to help him with the planning.

(In researching some possible bikes I found several that I need to have. This is dangerous business! :) )

Thanks.

Joe

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Re: More $$$$

kamuter said:
If you happen to have medical insurance through a job, you can drop Uninsured motorist' to save even more. Your medical insurance pays until it runs out of limit, then the uninsured motorist kicks in. I figure if I'm in an accident that bad, no amount of insurance will help.
Be very careful about this. There are companies out there that will deny your claim when they find out you were injured in a motorcycle accident.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Re: Insurance estimate for young sailor?

EncoreJoe said:
My son is thinking of getting a bike and I just called Progressive to get a ball park figure. He's a Hospital Corpsman, 20 years old and lives on base in the Fresno California area.

They can't answer anything without speaking to my son and he doesn't even have a bike yet. I understand their position but I am a policy holder and it's Friday afternoon when everyone should be in a good mood...

Does anyone have a guesstimate for a 20 year old sailor's insurance rate on a 650 size bike? I'm just looking for a range of cost to get an idea.

I just want to know what he might be facing to help him with the planning.

(In researching some possible bikes I found several that I need to have. This is dangerous business! :) )

Thanks.

Joe

Good luck! I just had to cancel an insurance policy for my 86 year-old dad who isn't driving anymore. Fortunately I have a Power of Attorney that I faxed to them (State Farm) otherwise they would only deal with him. It was hard enough taking his keys and turning in his license for a State ID card w/o having an insurance clerk call him! :mad:
They referred to privacy issues. :brick:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I used to have oppressive but following some of the recommendations on this site I checked Foremost through AARP. Saved over $500/year and got a reduction the following year for the renewal.

It's free to get a quote so it can't hurt.

As to the question re: the cost of insurance for the corpsman. He needs to buy a bike that he doesn't have to buy collision and comprehensive insurance for and stick to just liability. Liability should be about $100 per year. A new rider, new bike, under 25 y.o. will be BIG money. Easily $1500+ per year depending on the value and type of the bike and his driving record.

A standard bike, cash purchase (no financing), no theft coverage etc. will make it quite reasonable for him.

Loren

1 - 8 of 8 Posts