BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thru the CD instruction manual for the 550 Zumo, but I can't find any reference to whether there's a limit to the capacity of an SD memory card that one can install. Anyone know ??? Tanks.

Oh ... my 550 Zumo came with software version 2.30. Just upgraded to 3.30 - couple of nice changes.

- Bob

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
2gb.

There's a "hack" that allows you to go higher, but others have had issues with it, better to stick with just 2.

fun site: http://www.zumoforums.com/

·
Registered
710 Posts
The latest firmware allows you to go larger than 2 GB but from my experience it does not buy you very much. The MP3 song limit appears to be around 1000 songs and the unit will not boot up if there are more songs than that on the storage card. The boot time also increases with the number of songs on the card. With 1000 songs in can take several minutes before the navigation screen will come up. It takes quite a while for the Zumo to catalog all the songs.

If you can live with the long boot time then the maximum card size you need will be determined by the total space needed to store 1000 songs. If the average MP3 file size is 3 MB then you would need 3 GB of storage. That means a 4 GB card is likely needed and you will have 1 GB left over for other types of files like jpegs and routes. If you can live with 600-700 songs per SD card then 2 GB cards will probably be all you need.

There certainly doesn't seem to be any reason to go larger than a 4 GB card.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. The technical knowledge of LT list members continues to impress. 2 GB it will be. Time for a ride to Sam's. Probably cost me more in gas to get there than to purchase a 2 GB card!
- Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts