BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First a big thank you to those who have replied to my past newbie posts looking for help!
This weekend I finished stripping the bike. All of the plastic,both shocks,and the front fork lower tubes are off.
I've changed the air filter, fuel filter , fuel quick disconnects, and put in a set of new spark plugs.
Taking it apart has been relatively easy, the hard part will be putting it back together correctly.
I do need some advice on a couple of issues.
I've read the articles on how to change the fork seal by just dropping the lowers and that is what I am going to attempt. Are there any aftermarket seal kits available for the LT, or is the dealer the best place to go?
What are the best "speed bleeders " to buy for doing the brakes and clutch? I have never used them before and have absolutely no idea what to buy or where. (I am also very leery about doing the brakes, but if I mess them up totally, I'll trailer it to the dealership and sign over my firstborn to them to repair it.lol)
Although I've grown to love this bike in the short time I have owned it, I am amazed at the amount of disassembly required to do a simple air filter change!
Thanks in advance for your help guys. So far any questions I have asked have been answered with a lot of great advice. Without this site as a resource , I wouldn't even attempt a teardown of this magnitude.
Wish me luck!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I ordered speed bleeder (believe that to be the brand name), but ended up getting the brakes bled without them, and it was very easily done.
Reason I answered your post was to ask if you have, or have considered, doing the stainless steele brake line upgrade while you're in there.
I did mine, and as most will tell you, noticeably fine improvement.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Speed Bleeders are the way to go in my opinion! For both brake and clutch! You can order them over the Web right here:
http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Click on "Motorcycle Sizes" and it will take you right to the page to find the correct P/N's.

Good Luck!

John

·
Registered
519 Posts
Newbuellertoo said:
First a big thank you to those who have replied to my past newbie posts looking for help!
This weekend I finished stripping the bike. All of the plastic,both shocks,and the front fork lower tubes are off.
I've changed the air filter, fuel filter , fuel quick disconnects, and put in a set of new spark plugs.
Taking it apart has been relatively easy, the hard part will be putting it back together correctly.
I do need some advice on a couple of issues.
I've read the articles on how to change the fork seal by just dropping the lowers and that is what I am going to attempt. Are there any aftermarket seal kits available for the LT, or is the dealer the best place to go?
What are the best "speed bleeders " to buy for doing the brakes and clutch? I have never used them before and have absolutely no idea what to buy or where. (I am also very leery about doing the brakes, but if I mess them up totally, I'll trailer it to the dealership and sign over my firstborn to them to repair it.lol)
Although I've grown to love this bike in the short time I have owned it, I am amazed at the amount of disassembly required to do a simple air filter change!
Thanks in advance for your help guys. So far any questions I have asked have been answered with a lot of great advice. Without this site as a resource , I wouldn't even attempt a teardown of this magnitude.
Wish me luck!
Just finished the brake and clutch flush and is was not that bad ( 2005 LT) I would recommend the funnel from Bemmer boneyards which works great!! I followed the flush DVD from John Z and it was easy. Get the speed bleeder bag also. I did not use any speedbleeders, the ones on the bike worked ( except for the clutch, you might need one there).

Took a few hours for the plastic removal, for a 1 hour brake flush but I know it done properly.

The DVD from John Z is worth the price!!

Good luck!!

Regards,
Bowdon

·
Registered
273 Posts
The funnel is only needed on 05 and up. Speed Bleeders make bleeding easy. Hook up an I V bag and open the bleeder. The check valve keeps the air out. After doing it the first time it gets easier. Good luck, have fun.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,907 Posts
If you use an IV bag or the Speedbleeder Bag and keep it elevated you can use a regular bleeder and just keep it open. The speedbleeders are not necessary. Funny they sell a bag that eliminates the need for their core product.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys.
I haven't considered the S.S. lines for this year, but maybe next winters project.
I bought the DVD and funnel from Beemer Boneyard. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the funnel is of no use on a 2003 LT as the brake unit is mounted on it's side not like the R bike in the video.It's no big deal I have a friend who can use the tool on his GS.
I looked at the speedbleeder site and got some good info. Do people usually leave them on, or just use them when bleeding?
Any info on the fork seals?
Your replies are much appreciated.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had a look at the fork seals today.
Is there a trick to getting the old ones out, or is it just brute force.
I'm afraid I might be missing some trick of how they are held in.
It looks like there is a lip on the underside that fits over a flange, so is it just friction I need to overcome?
Thanks all.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Here you go a great link on how too.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8911&highlight=fork+seal

Newbuellertoo said:
Had a look at the fork seals today.
Is there a trick to getting the old ones out, or is it just brute force.
I'm afraid I might be missing some trick of how they are held in.
It looks like there is a lip on the underside that fits over a flange, so is it just friction I need to overcome?
Thanks all.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Phil,
I'll try heating them up first, (as per the article) ,as they are as hard as rock right now.
Temp in the garage today was about 40 f.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I installed the speed bleeders in the front and rear brakes and the clutch (5) and leave them in, just close them when finished bleeding.

Wish I was 53 again :histerica

·
Registered
339 Posts
You riding yet ?

Never really heard about fork seals blowing, but the original steering damper has been known to puke oil (as mine did). I upped the tire pressure and all that tank slapping crap went away.

Ride it like you stole it !

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, not riding yet as I'm still waiting to get my shocks back.
I've found a guy here in Ontario who said he could re-build the OEM shocks. It's taken a little longer than planned , but they are finished now and I need to get them shipped back.
The only hurdle so far, has been where to locate the schrader valve he puts on to recharge the shock.
I won't know for sure whether I'm good to go until I try to install and check the full range of motion.
If they work out well and are a good bang for the buck I'll post some info. It's a LOT cheaper than going for after market shocks, but I need to put some miles on to see if it has made a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yeah, keep us posted on the shock rebuild, I did the HyperPro springs 2 yrs ago & found that made a great difference on how the bike handled...so if the shocks need a replacement in the next year this might be a way to go.

Newbuellertoo said:
No, not riding yet as I'm still waiting to get my shocks back.
I've found a guy here in Ontario who said he could re-build the OEM shocks. It's taken a little longer than planned , but they are finished now and I need to get them shipped back.
The only hurdle so far, has been where to locate the schrader valve he puts on to recharge the shock.
I won't know for sure whether I'm good to go until I try to install and check the full range of motion.
If they work out well and are a good bang for the buck I'll post some info. It's a LOT cheaper than going for after market shocks, but I need to put some miles on to see if it has made a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Where did you get a 53 year old LT??????

bowdon said:
The DVD from John Z is worth the price!!
I know I've seen it somewhere, but my Search Fu is not working today. Can someone point me to this?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
If you have an 03 then you will need the funnel to service the brakes..
You have servo brakes correct...
Do you hear the servo / motor running / squeal when you apply the brakes ?
If so then you'll need the funnel...

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts