BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I occassionaly see guys mention getting high 40's or even over 50 MPG's out of their LT. I probably average low 40's with a range of 39 to 47. I am ~ 260 lbs. and most of my riding is solo. I am a "lazy rider" and only hammer it rarely. I probably am due for a new air filter and plugs...27k on them (they are the original ones). The bike runs fine. Just wondering what most guys are getting MPG wise. Could my plugs and a dirty air filter be causing my lower average????? I do notice a slight seasonal difference....winter lower MPG....

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
16 Posts
My '99 regularly gets high 40's and low 50's. When it is really cold the milage drops to the mid 40's (like, 11F or so). The older lt's get better mileage than the new ones most likely because of less horsepower. I do notice that using fuel that is "up to 10% ethanol" can drop my mileage several mpg. My best mileage was about 54mpg on a day trip in the summer...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ride down hill, wind at back! :rotf:

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Since 99: Mainly 2 up average right around 40 with an occasional trip at 46-47 and two weekends ago fully loaded and strong wind 32 mpg on 300 mile trip.

This has never changed, different parts of the country, new plugs and filters, unplugging temp sensor, and switching from regular to premium. First radials, now bias. First conventional oil, now Mobil one...it never really changed by a measurable amount.

Such is the nature of closed loop oxygen sensor systems it keep the mixture in a very close range.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
When riding my LT, my mileage ranged from LOW 20s to 57 at one point. How you ride, and more importantly WHERE you ride has a lot to do with it. I got 57mpg up in the Rockies of Colorado. The low 20s was obtained averaging 94.7mph (for a whole tank) riding across Montana. :D Hard on the wallet, great for the soul. ;)

·
Registered
453 Posts
jlewis5151 said:
My '99 regularly gets high 40's and low 50's. When it is really cold the milage drops to the mid 40's (like, 11F or so). The older lt's get better mileage than the new ones most likely because of less horsepower. I do notice that using fuel that is "up to 10% ethanol" can drop my mileage several mpg. My best mileage was about 54mpg on a day trip in the summer...

My experience is similar on my '99. I average about 50 and always ride one up and conservatively. I also notice that as my bike ages, it runs better on regular gas than it used to with little or no pinging. I live on the MD/DE border and avoid the 10% ethanol sold in Delaware during the winter.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Raise your tire pressures, lower your windshield.

I was rolling along a flat, level road while holding a steady throttle, I ran the windshield all the way up and the bike lost at least 5mph.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I average 48 MPG. I regularly cruise about 120 kph (75mph).

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think a big contributor is the model year of the bike. The older ones have less powerful engines and get better mileage. I have an 07 with the around 116hp engine and get 42-46mpg. Someone will jump in here if I am wrong but I believe the 04 and earlier was around 98hp. They also changed the gearing in the transmission about the same time. From the posts I have seen in the last year the 50mpg and above were all older model years.

Bruce Buchner

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have almost always averaged 50 mpg. I keep the tire pressure up and the windshield down as low as possible. I think the side wings make a big difference also, but I don't have any way to prove it. Obviously my mps's go south when running the mountains in second or third near redline.

Seems to me that the LT's that perform the worse are those that are babied the most.

A friend and I went to north Georgia to look at some Real Estate 7:00 AM yesterday morning - up and back by 7:00 PM - 508 miles with a fair amount in the mountains - still got over 50 mpg - measured at the pump.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ridden hard or easy my 05 stays in the 42 to 45 mpg Premium only/ have not used regular gas to afraid of it*** :eek:

·
Registered
794 Posts
'02 and I usually am flogging it... I stay at 47.
I never leave the mountains and never see an interstate.
I think going up and downs the hills helps feul economy for me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dukey33 said:
Raise your tire pressures, lower your windshield.

I was rolling along a flat, level road while holding a steady throttle, I ran the windshield all the way up and the bike lost at least 5mph.
I didn't even think about this...DUH!!! This is probably my main contributing factor....especially in winter. Most of the time I have the windscreen up and the winglets flaired out... I'm sure that knocks off a couple or three MPG's.....

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I have a 2000 LT, and I ride fairly conservatively most of the time. In the summer time I average 45-48 mpg provided I keep it under 70. Over 70, and I probably get closer to 43. I should note that I generally ride one up, and weight 250 lbs. HOWEVER, I have a friend that I ride with, who probably outweighs me by at least 60 lbs, and he consistently gets better mileage than I do, and we are often riding the same speed and course etc. His LT probably averages 3-5 mpg better than mine, and it is a 2005. Sort of shoots the "older models get better mileage" theory.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Yes, it can be done. On mine it took a nasty night time rainstorm, fresh light absorbing asphalt, and periodic snow flurries to encourage me to cruise at or below the speed limit. Much to my surprize I got 52 mpg. My normal riding style usually nets me somewhere between 36 and 44 mpg. Needless to say I don't expect to be riding that painfully slow again any time soon.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Getting 50-54 mpg average on my '99. I'm about 6', 285 lbs. Computer always shows average in this area and always matches actual fuel consumption/mileage computations.

·
Registered
293 Posts
jlewis5151 said:
I do notice that using fuel that is "up to 10% ethanol" can drop my mileage several mpg. ...
Car and Driver did some testing a couple of years back showing how much worse cars did mpg wise on the 10% booze mix. Some showed a decrease in mileage on the order of 10%...in other words, the ethanol part was adding zero fuel value. At least some farmer somewhere was making a few bucks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I get 47 to 52 MPG. I usually ride solo and weigh about 230lbs. That said I only ride short distances but it is usually not in town driving. To work and back is only 24 miles and I only drive about 60 MPH. I have noticed lower MPG on my last big trip to Texas. I was driving about 75 to 80 mph and was getting low 40's MPG. The wind drag on this thing is your worst enemy. So as someone else put it

Ride Downhill, wind to your back!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Duane_in_Florida said:
Car and Driver did some testing a couple of years back showing how much worse cars did mpg wise on the 10% booze mix. Some showed a decrease in mileage on the order of 10%...in other words, the ethanol part was adding zero fuel value. At least some farmer somewhere was making a few bucks.

That just supports all the other tests that have been done proving that ethanol doesn't have as much energy than gasoline.

E85 vehicles have to shove in more fuel (compared to gasoline) to richen up the mixture to provide enough energy to run the engine efficiently and safely, but at a loss of fuel mileage.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts