BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

5 month old Nolan bit the dust ? Is Schuberth worth the $$?

8K views 32 replies 29 participants last post by  MarinPhil 
#1 ·
5 month old Nolan bit the dust • Is Schuberth worth the $$?

My 5 month old Nolan N100E with flip chin guard has bit the dust on me. The face shield will not stay in the up position. On disassembly, I see that it is probably not a good helmet for long term reliability. Not very well made at all.

Is the schuberth helmet worth the money or should I look for something else??

I know I want a flip up chin guard.. other than that, I am open to suggestions. The only other thing is that I am considering installing a intercom and I want to go bluetooth for the helmet when I do the intercom system. I usually ride solo, so the intercom is mostly for communications and listening to my tunes.

While money is important, it is not the determining factor. Obviously the Nolan has turned out to be a poor investment.

#3 ·
Dean_BMW said:
Is the schuberth helmet worth the money or should I look for something else??

While money is important, it is not the determining factor. Obviously the Nolan has turned out to be a poor investment.
I pondered that for quite some time myself,

the reason I thik the Schuberth is thee helmUt for me is....

because of the way the faceshield can be pushed away from the helmet, it's not much just a tad doesn;t let rain in and does not fog up, I have not had one problem with fogging with my Schuberth, I've been in some pretty darn heavy rain storms during the day and night since I bought it too.

it is a noisey helmet though, but I still have the Concept not the new one out (C2?)

Tom

#5 ·
Hi;

If your helmet has failed mechanically I believe there is a two year warrantee on the product. I've had good support from the distributer for spare parts, or they are willing to overhaul any helmets sent to them. Try them the effort to repair may be worth it. Here is the contact info.......

Cima International
399 Wall Street, Unit L
IL 60139 Glendale Heights
helmets@aol.com

630-690-2021

Steve Collier
'01 KLT

#6 ·
My 5 month old Nolan N100E with flip chin guard has bit the dust on me. The face shield will not stay in the up position. On disassembly, I see that it is probably not a good helmet for long term reliability. Not very well made at all.
I'm nearing the end of my 2nd riding year with my Nolan N100E. Are we talking about the same helmet here? Mine still functions flawlessly...and the anti-fog shield is nothing short of amazing. IMO, the Schuberth helmets are 'cool', but WAY over-priced. Again, just my opinion. If I were in your shoes, I'd be thinking about a warranty issue, instead of replacement.

You might want to read RIDER magazine's October 2005 issue. Bill Stermer evaluates 8 flip-ups. Although it's not a clear-cut comparo, he seems to like the Schuberth C2 the best. He does comment that the "C2 excels in ventilation, tinted shield depolyment and noise control". Then he calls it "the most expensive helmet here and quite heavy".

HTH

#8 ·
Dean_BMW said:
Yes, same helmet. The little "tits" that protrude off of the face shield lock are broke off.

I do flip my face shield a lot (got to have that H20), and I have ridden about 12,000 miles since May using the Nolan.

Dean

I have the exact same one, and love it. I use the visor up feature lots as well. If you like the basic helmet overall, get it warrantied, not replaced. You paid for the 2 year warranty, you might as well use it. if they replace it, you can sell the new one in classifieds, and apply that toward the Schuberth.

FWIW

#10 ·
Schuberth C2 seems to be worth it.

I'm a newbie (3k on my 05 LT). I have a Schuberth C2 (which was back ordered for several weeks.) It seems to be really well constructed, and functions flawlessly. No fogging problems as yet. (Really cold weather just about to hit here in the Denver area.) The ONLY complaint I have about it is that the spots for the speakers was way too shallow. I had to cut some of the material out to make room for my speakers. I returned last night from a 966 mile trip and my helmet was comfortable and quiet. What more could I ask?

#13 ·
I use an HJC Symax with the same type of mechanism. I have had it for about 4 years. Put about 40,000 miles on two bikes with it. With the exception of changing a rail (provided for free from HJC) and replacing the face shield and putting a little graphite in, it has been great !!! The price is right as well.

#14 ·
pomppe said:
I moved this summer from Nolan N100 E flip up to Schubert C2. My Nolan was fine but the new C2 is worth every cent.

Jari
I find that interesting that you could be comfortable in the Schubert C2. I could not get comfortable with the original Schubert. My head shape prefers the what I preceive as a rounder design in the Nolan. I had a N100 and now have a N100 E and they both fit the same.

Did you try on the original Schubert? Maybe the C2 has a different design point.

#15 ·
Chalk up another HJC Symax wearer. I've had it for 'bout two years. Wife has one as well.

Love it - mostly - 'flip up' is great. Have a bit of issue with occasional fogging and saying it's 'noisy' is a radical understatement. MUST wear ear plugs with it at any speed over 45mph if windscreen is down all the way. I've tried scarves, turtle necks and even a leather throat wrap. No effect. Thank god the windscreen can be extended 'up' to cut air flow. Quiets things down nicely.

#17 ·
Dean_BMW said:
The only other thing is that I am considering installing a intercom and I want to go bluetooth for the helmet when I do the intercom system. I usually ride solo, so the intercom is mostly for communications and listening to my tunes.While money is important, it is not the determining factor.
Hi Dean,

I suggest you look over the border. The BMW system V helmet has it all. Except for a dot approval. Flip-up, no fogging, Bluetooth pre installed, battery compartment and all. Only, it doesn't fit my noggin, I have the system IV carbon, rated at about $1,000,-. One of the finest pieces of manufactured engeneering.

See http://blogs.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/09152004161722MWEJRX.htm

Following the latest rage, BMW announced at the Intermot their System V integral helmet with integrated BlueTooth technology. This permits you to telephone while riding your motorcycle, conditional on your mobile phone being equipped with BlueTooth.

The new system helmet V is a step into the future not just in the sense of sporty looks and product qualities: fitted with Bluetooth technology, this folding helmet enables wireless communication between motorcyclists.

The system is not vehicle-based and bears the name WCS-1 (Wireless Communication System); it is completely integrated in the helmet and homologised for this purpose. It consists of two virtually invisible Array microphones in the forehead area, a digital signal processor (DSP) to filter interference and wind noise, a Bluetooth module, two speakers and an integrated set of batteries. On the left there is a control panel with three buttons for the functions “On/Off/Select” (this includes the “pairing” which connects the two devices and “multifunction” for connecting further devices) as well as “+” and “-“ for loud and soft).

Voices can be heard easily even at speeds of over 150 km/h, depending on the motorcycle model: the installation kit hardly weighs more than a chocolate bar (approx. 120 g) and can be used for several hours once the battery is fully charged. At the moment, mobile phones with Bluetooth capability can be connected. Later, connections for other Bluetooth devices are planned, e.g. MP3 players.

This technology is installed in the new system helmet V with an outer shell manufactured in hot press and made fibre glass, carbon and Kevlar laminate. This helmet offers excellent aeroacoustic levels. The noise level at 100 km/h is only 86 dB(A). It is thus among the quietest folding helmets on the market. In terms of aerodynamics, too, the helmet is pioneering. It is neutral in the air stream and only has mild aerodynamic resistant when the head is turned. A high level of impact damping was achieved by means of segmentation of the EPS helmet shell (expanded polystyrol) with impact resistance in eight individual segments.

The chin section can be folded up or closed with one hand due to a new mechanical system with bowden control. Air intake is simple to regulate. The visor ventilation can be closed and is operated by means of a sliding button at the chin and for head ventilation at the forehead, with two settings. At the rear head, the air stream is regulated at continuously variable levels with a slider. Ventilation openings are at negative pressure levels and thus maximise the air stream inside the helmet.

The chin strap integrated in the neck band helps prevent the helmet from turning. In the event of an accident, it remains in the best possible position and protects the head. At the chin strap covers there are so-called noise flaps which close off the helmet and keep turbulence away from the ears.

Like its predecessor, the helmet weighs only 1690 grams. It has a breathable DuPont Coolmax interior lining which can be taken out for cleaning. In addition to the three-dimensionally curved, scratch-resistant and anti-fog-layered visor the accessories also include a toned, double-panel and air visor (shortened visor) with the same properties. Jet helmet side sections as well as cheek and neck pads are available in various sizes for adaptation.

Not only are the lines of the BMW Motorrad product range reflected in the design of the helmet, the five colours are also harmonised with those of the motorcycles. The customer can choose between night black non-metallic, titanium silver metallic, manganese blue metallic, magnesium metallic matt and rock red metallising.

No prices or availability as of yet. The photo is that of the System V helmet, but by the life of me, I can't see any BlueTooth controls.

#18 ·
You might check out a Justissimo by Caberg. A German flip-up. I haven't tried other flip-ups, but I like mine. I wish it had more ventilation for here in Texas. Intercom was a snap to install.

#19 ·
IMO, asking about this is like asking "dino versus synth?". I had the same Nolan helmet and while it wasn't the best - it was pretty darned good! Got about 40,000 miles out of it - finally it had rolled off the LT's seat one to many times so I replaced it w/ a Schuberth.

I HATED the Schuberth: to heavy, to noisy, visor broke after two weeks, comm-system speakers were a bear to put in (lots of exacto knife action here). Maybe the new Schubert is better but IMO you can do MUCH better for your $$$. Currently HJC Symax - comfortable helmet at a reasonable price. If you do decide to go with a Schuberth - order large - my experience has been that they are a VERY tight fit.

Good luck.

#20 ·
The Schuberth Concept helmets do fit tight - I needed an XXL instead of the XL I normally wear. But the new Schuberth C2 helmets run more true - an XL is snug, but not tight on me.

I hear they are a lot more quiet, and they are definitely vented much better. The helmet speakers will always be a pain to install, and they're still pretty heavy. But the internal sun shield is well worth the other minor annoyances.

Of course, if the overall shape doesn't fit your head, then you're out of luck anyway.

#21 ·
Tight fit

As I said in my prior post, I consider my Schuberth C2 well worth the $$. And, the internal visor is so convenient it's spooky. The trip I just returned from included (on the last leg of the last day) driving through patches of deep shade and extreme bright sunshine. Being able to just flick the visor up or down to suit the conditions was really super. And, it eliminates more pressure from tight sunglasses which can tend to make your head sore too.

Yes, it is snug (my wife and I wear the same size and her HJC is more comfortable than mine), but essentially, they must have the same shape, becase mine feels exactly like hers, just a tad tighter. And yes an X-acto knife and extra blades were necessary to install the speakers, but the low noise in this helmet and it's aerodynamics and air flow mentioned by others is superb. Audibly noticeable between the HJC and the C2. C2 is shhhhh quiet.;)

It's heavy, but then so is my leather jacket. I'd hate to have to carry my jacket around without wearing it. When my helmet is on and I'm sitting on my LT, all is right with the world.

I really wanted one of the System Vs, but since they aren't DOT approved, BMW will not import them here. I suspect with the cell phone market and Bluetooth stuff burgeoning as it is, the DOT approval will be forthcoming and they will soon be available here.

#23 ·
Just to put my two cents in, I have a Shuberth and I love it. When I bought the Shuberth I was looking for a Nolan because I know several people who love them. I cannot put a Nolan on my head without severe pain to my ears, no matter what size. It just brought home the realization that everybodies head shape is different, so make sure you get a helmet that fits your head. One of the features about the Shuberth that I cannot live without now is the built-in sun visor, which is becoming more popular, even on the new Nolans. I did see a Caberg helmet at Sierra BMW one time that I liked a lot. It was also flip face with a built-in sun visor. When its time to replace the Shuberth, I intend to check out the Caberg, if I can find a dealer close enough. Bottom line is, I think the Shuberth is a very fine helmet, but it is expensive and it's not for everyone.

#24 ·
I'm looking at the Justissimo also. There are no local vendors and will have to order on-line. My problem is sizing. I currently have an old Nolan N100 flip-up size large that fits well. I tried on the Schuberth C2 but have to go with an XL in that model. Any idea how the Justissimo sizes compare?

#25 ·
We don't have a local dealer for the Justissimo here, either. I tried one on in Reno at Sierra BMW. I wear a XXL Shuberth and the XL Justissimo seemed like a good fit. I can't say that I'd be very comfortable buying one online without trying it on first. I believe that one of the seb sites that I found that carried it also had a sizing chart from Caberg, but that doesn't help to tell what shape it is. Good luck, and let me know if you end up with the Justissimo. I haven't heard any feedback from someone who wears one now.

#26 ·
Schuberth vs other helmets

Just my two cents worth; Have owned helmets for 20 yrs (all started with a Bell ) remember them? in recent yrs An Arai and Nolans. Prefer the Nolan to Arai . Upgraded 3yr old Nolan classic n100 with VPS system. Vision Protection System includes a new visor w/ all new visor detent system . Upgrade has made this old helmet into on of my favorites with the pull down shade system.Next helmet purchase will probably be the Nolan X1002 because of it's new high tech composite materials which make it lighter than the older molded lexan n100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.