BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Hello again:grin:

After a brief flirtation with an Electra Glide and a Rocket 3 X, I'm off to view what will likely be my 4th 1200LT this afternoon. A 2005 LUX with 26,000 miles on it.

I looked at 1600GTL's and have ridden one owned by a friend, and much as it's a very impressive bike I have ended up back with the big girl again. Perhaps I should keep this one instead of swapping it out this time :wink:

It's good to be back

·
Registered
1,238 Posts

After a brief flirtation with an Electra Glide and a Rocket 3 X, I'm off to view what will likely be my 4th 1200LT this afternoon. A 2005 LUX with 26,000 miles on it.

I looked at 1600GTL's and have ridden one owned by a friend, and much as it's a very impressive bike I have ended up back with the big girl again. Perhaps I should keep this one instead of swapping it out this time :wink:

It's good to be back
Welcome back !

Could you give your impressions (good / bad points) about the Electra-Glide compare to the K1200LT.

Of course, the Rocket-3 is hard to compare to a K1200LT as it is more like a muscle car (or a torque monster) in my opinion...

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts

It's good to be back
You are a slow learner. :grin:

Just kidding, best of luck with your LT search.

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Electra Glide (mine was an 03 twin cam) is slower, has less room to move around on, shakes more, has less ground clearance and poor brakes. It does have that Harley sound and a certain old school charm and I bought it to slow myself down. The Rocket is just bonkers, and I currently still have it. So much torque, handles really well (just did a week in the Pyrenees) and is all day long comfortable. The big deal for me with the KLT is the weather protection, comfort, fuel consumption and cruise control.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well you certainly know what you like, apparently you occasionally forget though! Best of luck with your purchase! I’m on round 2 myself.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Welcome back . . .

I'm on my second LT and have 2 more to go to catch up to you - okay you win - I give up . . . :thumb:

Been on an LT continuously since 2003!!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I'm still on my 1st LT. And I will repeat my mantra. The LT is the biggest God Damn PITA Maintenance nightmare along with it's known problems. It's top heavy..Yea. Junk servo ABS. Yep. ETC..ETC.. I will have a scowl on my puss once in a while doing the tedious removal of parts just getting to the inner bowels of the beast for routine maintenance such as fuel/air filter change. BUT!!!!When the Job is done. And the tools are put away. And I get on it to ride afterwards. I get it out on the road. Roll on the throttle. THERE HASN'T EVER BEEN A BIKE I'VE EVER RIDDEN THAT PUTS A SMILING GRIN ON MY FACE THE WAY A LT DOES. And I've owned a few bikes. Ridden too many to remember trying to find a replacement. Nothing else fits the bill. Boy I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
I'm still on my 1st LT. And I will repeat my mantra. The LT is the biggest God Damn PITA Maintenance nightmare along with it's known problems. It's top heavy..Yea. Junk servo ABS. Yep. ETC..ETC.. I will have a scowl on my puss once in a while doing the tedious removal of parts just getting to the inner bowels of the beast for routine maintenance such as fuel/air filter change. BUT!!!!When the Job is done. And the tools are put away. And I get on it to ride afterwards. I get it out on the road. Roll on the throttle. THERE HASN'T EVER BEEN A BIKE I'VE EVER RIDDEN THAT PUTS A SMILING GRIN ON MY FACE THE WAY A LT DOES. And I've owned a few bikes. Ridden too many to remember trying to find a replacement. Nothing else fits the bill. Boy I had no idea what I was getting myself into.
Pretty much sums it up. :grin:

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
276 Posts
Welcome back!! Agree with all said above!! We tried the GTL! Do a valve check on a GTL - then tell me how difficult the LT is to do?? Easy by comparison!!

Radar

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Welcome back!! Agree with all said above!! We tried the GTL! Do a valve check on a GTL - then tell me how difficult the LT is to do?? Easy by comparison!!

Radar
For a Valve check. Yea. The GTL is a PITA. But model specific mechanical issues and known problems plaguing a particular model. The GTL once they got the bugs sorted out was way less headaches than an LT. But still. Comfort,wind,weather protection. The LT wins. I just don't care for a GTL's aesthetics. It's not for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts