BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've run a couple of tanks through my new to me 2013 R1200RT. The mpg indicator in the display gradually increases until it gets to 48.0 mpg and then stops. It's as if there is a limit that is preventing it from going higher.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
While your looking at the 48 mpg, hold the button down for 3 or 4 seconds and it will reset.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Okay being difficult eh? Find a level road you can putts along at 50 or so. Now, reset the unit (until you see the dashed bars) and keep a steady state. You should be over 48. On my 2014 GS it has instant window and average windowand a second trip average window etc.. Gets complicated.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
tpfeffer - Perfectly normal behavior.

MPG is calculated as total fuel used divided by the miles driven. As you come off reset you are accelerating (using more fuel at varying rates) plus you haven't driven very many miles (low number on the bottom of the calculation). So yes, it will change, and pretty dramatically. But as you drive and acquire more miles, the number will approach the overall average you drive, and the small variations from that average will get overridden. So it seems that for the driving you do then 48 is your overall average. Which is a pretty good average, actually. I average 43.7.

JayJay

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yours may top out at 48. I think mine tops out at 50.
Downhill, on a reset, I have seen 78, I think.
Uphill, with a wind, 37.
But then it levels out into an average, and the little changes don't change it anymore.
Reset it and then see where it goes.
dc

·
Registered
51 Posts
My brand-new 2013 is currently showing 5.1 L per hundred KM which is 48 miles per gallon US. But I only have 400 miles on the odometer so it is still very tight. I expect mileage will improve as the bike loosens up.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
While your looking at the 48 mpg, hold the button down for 3 or 4 seconds and it will reset.
What button (left or right on dash)? On my LT it was pretty simple. I cannot figure this out on the RT. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Info button. On the left hand side control. Press and hold it to reset while I the MPG average screen.

I also regularly get 47-48 in my travels. Have seen higher but ornaments settles back to that range after 200-300 miles. I consider that pretty good considering my Little Triumph is lucky to get 43 and has half the engine and weight!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts