BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and have been reading along for the last few weeks. I just took delivery of a 2005 LT about three weeks ago and I have gotten alot of insight into my new bike on this site. Thanks to all of you for that.

I do have a few questions.... First is the tire pressures. I was just reading on a different thread about inflated tire pressures over what the manual recommends. Is this standard procedure? Any downside to 42F and 48R? I ask because I have always been inclined to follow the manual with regard to tire pressures on all my cars and bikes. I just came from the garage and inflated them to the new "specs" and can't help but wonder if that will eliminate the 30-40mph wobble that my bike appears to have. I will check it when the weather is permitting.

Can anyone give me their opinions about the driver footpeg lowering kit that is available from a few sites. It would help me a little because my legs tend to cramp after about 70 to 100 miles and the lowering kit appears to be a possible solution. I have already ordered the J-Pegs and they are due to be installed this week when my bike goes in for the 600 mile service. Should I consider the peg lowering kit?

Do any of you who own the '05 with the hydraulic center stand use it regularly? I would like to use it every time I park the bike in the garage but don't know if it is up to that much use. Any thoughts?

I am getting some unbelievable gas mileage with this bike. Returning from a 170 mile trip on Friday I got 54 hydraulic. I have owned a number of bikes recently: '96 Triumph Thunderbird, '98 Moto Guzzi California, '00 Harley Super Glide, '02 Guzzi California (again), '03 R1200CL.... NONE of these bikes ever got that kind of mileage! The Harley was the only one ever to go over the 50mpg mark and it only did that a couple of times. What kind of mileage (highway) are most of you guys getting?

I appreciate all I have been able to learn on this website and if any of you folks live in Michigan, near Ann Arbor, I hope to meet you soon.

Thanks,
Steve Gray
Canton, MI

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hey Steve:

Welcome to the LT world. I am in Coldwater, Mich. so maybe we can get together some time for some riding.

I have the peg lowering kit on my '05 and it helped be tremendously. I would not be with out it. Concerning the electric/hyd. center stand. I don't think you can over use it. I always use mine unless I am on poor footing (grass or dirt) or fueling up when I use the kick stand. On poor footing I use an electrical box cover plate under the kick stand to keep the bike from sinking into the abyss.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
As far as tires I always follow tire manufactures max press, not the bike manual. All touring bikes are at the max weight limit on tires, so go with max pressure. I run 44F & 48R, same thing I ran on my Venture. I use the centerstand all the time, I support my weight & let it lift the bike. The 1.5" difference the Suburban Machine peg lowering kit makes feels like a foot, GET THEM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Steve
I went to 42F and 48R this weekend for two up riding. My impression was that the bike handled better than using the factory recommendations. The ride was noticeable firmer, but I will stick with the hight tyre pressures.

I use the centre stand wherever possible, always when parked in the garage. If I have to use the side stand I have an aluminium disc that put under it. I asked a friend with a machine shop to cut me an aluminium disc the same size as a CD out of some scrap metal he had. It works well and I store it in an old CD case.

·
Registered
467 Posts
And SMGray sez:
I am getting some unbelievable gas mileage with this bike. Returning from a 170 mile trip on Friday I got 54 hydraulic. I have owned a number of bikes recently: '96 Triumph Thunderbird, '98 Moto Guzzi California, '00 Harley Super Glide, '02 Guzzi California (again), '03 R1200CL.... NONE of these bikes ever got that kind of mileage! The Harley was the only one ever to go over the 50mpg mark and it only did that a couple of times. What kind of mileage (highway) are most of you guys getting?

Well Steve,
The answers you will get will be similar to how much tire mileage different riders will get with the same tires. It will be quite a spread. 54 is pretty decent, but not unheard of by any means. The LT seems to do much better at high altitudes, and if you're taking it easy it will do pretty good also. My average seems to fall between 48 / 52 on any given day, and it I'm pulling the trailer that drops to 40 / 44. (2001 model)

The best I ever got was at CCR while touring Yellowstone. (see pic and no, I didn't reset and coast down a hill!) Never got it before or since.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
SMGray said:
Any downside to 42F and 48R?
You won't spend as much on tires... So you won't be your favorite dealers best bud... :D

SMGray said:
I'm getting unbelieveable gas mileage with this bike.
It's probably good but may not be that good.. but that depends on how you are calculating it... unfortunately if you are using the odo of the bike it is a few % high.. same with the message center. Also you should know that the speedo is normally about 10% high.... Unless yours has had the speedo fix applied..

·
Registered
34 Posts
I considered the lowering peg but ultimately went with the Illium floorboards which in effect were lower. It has helped immensely, however you will have to adjust your brake lever to lower it so you don't have to raise your foot to apply the rear brake. There is a kit for this as well as a extender for the shift lever.

·
Cat Herder
1,492 Posts
37F & 42R Met. 880's

I just bought a new set of 880's and they work very well out here in the desert. The dealer told me not to go above 37 psi in the front and 42 psi in the rear. I got 10,000 miles out of the last set.... As far as mileage goes... I ride way to fast (triple digits) and i get around 38-42 mpg... if i ride in the 70's I can get 50 mpg on a 2002..

tvguy

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
42f and 48r with the marathon 880s 13k on them so far.
They have feathering and growl in the cures, like air wolf, but I'll keep them till spring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tire Pressure

Hey There, my name is Brownie
I recently found this site and have enjoyed the things I have read and the articles that are put to your disposal, as well as information.
I have read the past listing remarks, and I have to say that each of us are different in our thoughts on tire pressure and brand.
I now own a 2003 Copper color K1200LTC my 2nd one, the first was a 2000 same model and I Love it. after 2 Wings and a Harley it is well the Best.
Anyway back to Tire pressure, I had ME 880's on the first one and I liked the way they handled, When I got my 03 model I had BT020's on it and I liked them but the frt wore funny. Where I got it ( Mortons ) they said that I should run 50 to 52 in the Frt tire and 57 in the rear. Now at first I thought WHAT! But then was reminded of Car and Truck tires and then I thought thats right, I run what is marked on the tires of my truck and I get tremendous mileage out of a set of tires.
The manufacture wants nothing more than for you to spend money on tires and if they can get you to run low pressure in tires and cause them to wear out faster than go ahead and by more tires.
I have raised the pressure in Frt. 52 and Back 57 and they wear really well. I have better control and I do not feel like I am floating.
The wear pattern is correct and handling is what I like.
Thanks for the EAR

·
Cat Herder
1,492 Posts
Airwolf

Yes indeed my tires sounded like airwolf as well.. I though the bearings were going bad they made so much noise. Now everything is quite and handling is great. Do you ride 2 up and loaded or a single rider? Keep me posted!!! tvguy :D

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I run 42f 48r with the 880s and get around 15K on the front tire and 18K on the rear. I used to run with a little less pressure and the tire would cup so bad on the front that it had to be replaced around 9K.

·
Cat Herder
1,492 Posts
Wow!!!

WOW... Frt. 52 and Back 57on a set of 880's... I will check that out

brownie said:
Hey There, my name is Brownie
I recently found this site and have enjoyed the things I have read and the articles that are put to your disposal, as well as information.
I have read the past listing remarks, and I have to say that each of us are different in our thoughts on tire pressure and brand.
I now own a 2003 Copper color K1200LTC my 2nd one, the first was a 2000 same model and I Love it. after 2 Wings and a Harley it is well the Best.
Anyway back to Tire pressure, I had ME 880's on the first one and I liked the way they handled, When I got my 03 model I had BT020's on it and I liked them but the frt wore funny. Where I got it ( Mortons ) they said that I should run 50 to 52 in the Frt tire and 57 in the rear. Now at first I thought WHAT! But then was reminded of Car and Truck tires and then I thought thats right, I run what is marked on the tires of my truck and I get tremendous mileage out of a set of tires.
The manufacture wants nothing more than for you to spend money on tires and if they can get you to run low pressure in tires and cause them to wear out faster than go ahead and by more tires.
I have raised the pressure in Frt. 52 and Back 57 and they wear really well. I have better control and I do not feel like I am floating.
The wear pattern is correct and handling is what I like.
Thanks for the EAR
:D

·
Cat Herder
1,492 Posts
I'm calling Metzeler

OK.. OK.. I want to know what the correct pressure should be for single rider with no load.. and ride at speeds up to 100mph...

:confused:

·
Cat Herder
1,492 Posts
METZELER says!

• INFLATION PRESSURE
Many tire damage result from incorrect inflation pressure. Furthermore, the inflation pressure has a big influence on the riding qualities of a motorcycle. The inflation pressure recommended by the motorcycle manufacturer can be found in the bike's manual and is usually written on a sticker on the rear swingarm or chainguard. Set the suggested inflation pressure on cold tires before riding. During service the tire's warming-up causes a pressure rise that must NOT be reduced. Check inflation pressure once a week. Increase rear tire pressure by 0,2 bar / 3 psi when riding with a passenger or with very heavy load. Insufficient inflation pressure causes tire flexing and overheating that may lead to internal damage. Overinflation impairs riding comfort and stability and can result in uneven wear. When checking the inflation pressure, don't forget to lock the valve cap. Use a valve cap with rubber sealing.

• LOAD CAPACITY AND SPEED RATING
Load Capacity and Speed Rating are included in the size description. The load rating of a tire is identified by a code-number and must not be exceeded (observe max. permitted vehicle weight). The max. permitted vehicle weight might be exceeded when loading the bike with passenger, saddle bags, a trunk bag, etc. for longer trips. METZELER does not recommend the use of trailers nor does METZELER give warranty for tires used with trailers except the reinforced version of the Marathon-Touring lines. The max. permitted speed of a tire is indicated by a code-letter. Please refer to the conversion table for load and speed index explanation .

tvguy said:
OK.. OK.. I want to know what the correct pressure should be for single rider with no load.. and ride at speeds up to 100mph...

:confused:
:eek:

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Welcome Aboard!

SMGray said:
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and have been reading along for the last few weeks. I just took delivery of a 2005 LT about three weeks ago and I have gotten alot of insight into my new bike on this site. Thanks to all of you for that.

Welcome to the world of the LT. I love my 05 and I know you will love yours as well. They are an awesome machine. You should be very proud to own one. Now, on to answering your questions....

I do have a few questions.... First is the tire pressures. I was just reading on a different thread about inflated tire pressures over what the manual recommends. Is this standard procedure? Any downside to 42F and 48R? I ask because I have always been inclined to follow the manual with regard to tire pressures on all my cars and bikes. I just came from the garage and inflated them to the new "specs" and can't help but wonder if that will eliminate the 30-40mph wobble that my bike appears to have. I will check it when the weather is permitting.

The pressures 42/48 rear seem to be good for me on my LT. I was told that because we do so much hwy driving here in the US as compared to how the bike is ridden in europe that those pressures will better serv us. My bike came with Metzler ME 880's on it so I am assuming yours have the same. You will expericnce the typical howling from the Metzlers when you lean at speeds greater than 35 mph. That is normal and tire pressure has never changed this from my experience.

As far as the low speed wobble, you should take the bike in to the dealer for investigation of that problem. Mine has never had any such wobble at any speed.

Can anyone give me their opinions about the driver footpeg lowering kit that is available from a few sites. It would help me a little because my legs tend to cramp after about 70 to 100 miles and the lowering kit appears to be a possible solution. I have already ordered the J-Pegs and they are due to be installed this week when my bike goes in for the 600 mile service. Should I consider the peg lowering kit?

The foot peg lowering kit was a nice addition for me. It is a matter of personal prefference. I have a 31-32 inch inseam and still I like the lowering kit. You'll have to make your own choice there. Look for a pair of these used that come up from time to time on e bay and/or here on the forum to save some money, if you are not in any hurry to add them on. I am going to have mine chromed eventually so they lok like they belong on the bike.

Do any of you who own the '05 with the hydraulic center stand use it regularly? I would like to use it every time I park the bike in the garage but don't know if it is up to that much use. Any thoughts?

I use my Hydraulic center stand almost every time I park the bike and I have 11,000 miles on mine. I also push up a little with my feet to unburden the lift a little when it begins to rise. It can't hurt and in the long run it may help make it last a little longer, who knows.

The most mpg I have ever gotten from the bike is 45 MPG according to the trip computer. I would reccomend that you verify the calculation as you would with a car. You may find that the computer calculation is off. You may also be experiencing the higher milage since the bike is new to you. 1st time riders take a while to really find out just how well the 05' LT handles and accelerates. It didn't take me long, but I am comfortable on heavy large bikes. The LT will pull you out of a turn apex pretty well for carring so much weight. It really is a kick inthe pants.

I appreciate all I have been able to learn on this website and if any of you folks live in Michigan, near Ann Arbor, I hope to meet you soon.

Attend the CCR in Atlanta,GA next year. This will be a great opportunity to meet new riders and view or purchase new accessories (aka Farkels) for the LT. Believe me, there is more to add! LOL! :D

Thanks,
Steve Gray
Canton, MI
Hope this helps you....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Steve,

I bought the peg lowering kit for both my 2000 LT and my 2002 RT. I'm glad I did, it made a big difference with my knees. The only thing I have to watch is that I don't have my toes under the shift lever when I'm cornering. I have touched the toe of my boot down a couple times in corners with the dropped pegs. I wouldn't go back though!

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
DPPeter said:
I have touched the toe of my boot down a couple times in corners with the dropped pegs. I wouldn't go back though!
Hmmmmmmm, I've done that and I don't have dropped pegs on Rover. ;)

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Tires? Sure, I use 'em.

I tried the lower pegs and didn't care for them despite a 34 inch inseam. Didn't like the change in the shift and brake angle either, even after adjusting. When I had a custom seat built, I added an inch in height. Much better combo for me. No matter what you do to the LT, you can't really change the center of gravity much. You will just lower yourself closer to the ground. Get a custom seat first, then check out the peg height. You're going to get one eventually anyway. :D

I ride two-up most of the time. I switched from Metz to Bridgestone radials in mid-summer running 44 front 50 rear. After 6000 miles the tires show no signs of cupping, handle well, and look great. They are no where near as slippery as the Metz. ;)

The 2003 came in "copper?" Never heard it described that way. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts