BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not an expert here. We recently bought a HD video camera & took it to our son's wedding with a tripod. They already had a guy picked out to record the wedding, but something happened & he ended up using ours. But he didn't use our tripod. He had a pole/stick (not sure what its really called) that he used. Was very easy for him to move around & just stick the pole down, or just hold it. Collapsed into a small neat package. YMMV

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

·
Registered
704 Posts
Monopod....I have one that works great for using my bigger lens(Sigma 70-200/f2.8 for Sony a77. Trying to carry and hold a setup like that is quite stressful after awhile. I also helps alot on the video side of photog too. Not as stable as a tripod, but much more mobile.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I agree. I suggest getting a carbon fiber (read strong and light...but expensive!) monopod that will serve as a walking/hiking stick when not shooting! Also, be sure to get one that is tall enough to put the viewfinder at your regular "eye level" but that collapses into a short enough package to fit where you want it on your bike!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Completely different approach, but I bought this for my daughter's soccer games and I really like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Zykkor-Should...id=1346971549&sr=8-1&keywords=shoulder+tripod

Not as packable as a monopod but not as bulky as a full tripod. Nice combination of handheld mobility and stability.

Is has the added bonus of making you more conspicuous. I have found this to be of great advantage if I need to be considered the "main" photographer at an event. Folks tend to get out of the way and let you have the shot the more official you appear. ;) Posers don't just ride bikes :rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts