BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can help (I couldn’t find a clear answer anywhere in the forum).... turned the ignition on my 2004 LT today and hazard lights came on. Figured I must have hit the switch when I parked up, but cannot get them to turn off except by disconnecting the battery. Here's my efforts so far with a minimum of tools and knowledge other than being able to do an oil change!....

The hazard switch lights up with the ignition on and goes off with the ignition off which is normal.

With ignition on and hazards on they flash normally, when switched to off the indicators flash slightly irregularly sometimes with the lights remain on slightly longer than normal - so I'm figuring that's when the switch is toggled to the off position as you can’t tell from the position or feel of the switch.

The hazard switch not longer illuminated when ignition off bit lights continue to flash.

I removed every fuse in sequence from the three fuse boxes under the pillion seat but this did not stop the flashing.

I removed the switch cluster partially from the handlebar hoping to dismantle the switch and perhaps remove the hazard switch or interrupt the circuit to the switch but the rear part seems fixed at the indicator paddle part and I can only slightly open it up at the top and can’t see inside the unit properly... so stopped before I forced anything and broke something. A couple of threads say to spray some electrical lubricant into the switch but I need to buy some and do that if people think that’s right and thought that if I'm driving into town (in the car!) for that I should perhaps seek confirmation first and also pick up anything else you might recommend or perhaps try some other kind of fix if someone out there knows of one.

The only other relevant things might be:

I've had the bike for 5 years and never had this fault before.... 47,000 miles on the clock 37,000 of them are mine over the time I've had the bike.

The ABS was successfully removed and bypassed by a local motorcycle mechanic (non BMW) after it malfunctioned just after I brought the bike (grrrrrrrr!!) following the advice from very helpful folk on this forum.

The alarm (15 years old) gave up as the internal battery 'died' 2 months ago and I brought a plug and play replacement which has operated fine for 1 month till I went on holiday (not thinking that might be the problem but worth a mention?)

The bike gets used most days BUT was parked up for a month until yesterday as I've been away on holiday. I rode out on the bike for 2 hours yesterday with a few stops ignition off/on and no problems. As the bike was parked up for so long I checked all the lights and switches (including the hazard switch!) tyre pressures etc before I went out so I know they worked OK at that point.

Thanks in advance for helping me out,

Cameron

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
It could very well be the alarm since it does send a signal to the flasher at the same point the handle bar switch does. Quick way to find out is to access the alarm 12 pin connector (circled in red) and snip the Yellow Violet wire on pin 4 and see if the flashers stop flashing. If they don't then it may be the switch on the bars or the flasher unit itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I can now report problem solved without snipping wires. Used electrical connector cleaner on switch while also putting battery on charge again for longer and problem rectified itself.

I am thinking that perhaps because the bike stood for a month and the battery was only charged for a couple of hours before I took it out that it may have not been sufficiently charged the next day when I switched her on and she went all hazardous on me. I read somewhere on the various threads that a low charge can cause electrical gremlins. Will now see if battery holds charge as it may be a sign I need a new one - current one (pun intended!) in 5.5 years old. Will check threads for best battery option if a replacement is required.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts