BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I started looking at some of the parts on the K1200LT and started thinking that some of these could be printed via 3D printers. By way of example, look at the tip over wings. They are sacrificial. I don't think it would be a stretch to have the pair "scanned", have the scanned file stored in a "Printable" format, then uploaded here on the Forum.
With the cost of 3D printers coming down more people can afford them. Whenever a new set of wing were needed, simply print them! The 3D models could even be set up to have a channel for the LEDs that Rider West used to sell that were surface mounted.

Thoughts?

Registered
Well. If the interest is there. It might be worth it.

Registered
The problem I see with 3D printing is that AFAIK the plastic that is used is very sensitive to heat.

I printed two little door holders for my deck glass doors and they deformed and failed under the sun after a few weeks.

YMMV

Registered
The problem I see with 3D printing is that AFAIK the plastic that is used is very sensitive to heat.

I printed two little door holders for my deck glass doors and they deformed and failed under the sun after a few weeks.

YMMV
If using PLA, then yes - subject to heat deformation and not really UV resistant.

If using ABA, ABS, or Nylon variants - these are more heat/UV resistant and suitable for "outdoor" applications.

Check out here for a quick guide: Ultimate 3D Printing Materials Guide | Simplify3D

As with most materials, need to pick and choose based on application (and what you have on your desk that can use the material as well!).

Premium Member
I started looking at some of the parts on the K1200LT and started thinking that some of these could be printed via 3D printers. By way of example, look at the tip over wings. They are sacrificial. I don't think it would be a stretch to have the pair "scanned", have the scanned file stored in a "Printable" format, then uploaded here on the Forum.
With the cost of 3D printers coming down more people can afford them. Whenever a new set of wing were needed, simply print them! The 3D models could even be set up to have a channel for the LEDs that Rider West used to sell that were surface mounted.

Thoughts?
I think it is worth looking at. Not sure it will save much money in the end and many of the cheap printers make ugly parts. However, if you use this, the pars look almost injection molded. HP Multi Jet 3D Printing Technology - The Latest 3D Printing Technology from HP | HP庐 Official Site

1 - 5 of 5 Posts