BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2000LT about a month ago. It's got about 38,000 miles on it. I think the previous owner took pretty good care of it. But, still, I'm wondering what kind of things should I have checked out and serviced engine and tranny and rear end wise? Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Nope! That's it. Just ride and enjoy!:bmw:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
zippy_gg said:
Nope! That's it. Just ride and enjoy!:bmw:
Cool, thanks. That's what I'll do...am doing. Love this thing. All I've done so far is replace the front tire with a new Michelin.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Valve clearances, definitely. If you don't have hard evidence that the air and gas filters have been changed, you might want to do that to have a base-line. Other than that, I'd also do a complete brake flush and clutch flush so you have a baseline on those as well. The nice thing about the 2000 is that you can easily to do the brake flush yourself.

Happy riding,
-joel

·
Registered
938 Posts
Any service records?? Where did the owner bring it for service, they would have records?? If you know that, you can go over it with the dealer or on the record.

I would check the brake pads for wear as well. Better to replace bads then rotors. Also, check the rear drive for play:

1) put on the center stand
2) check for vertical movement or play in the rear tire to see if there is any

If it is solid, you are set. You also may want to consider bringing the bike to a dealer and having them run a diagnostic check - motronics check..

Service records are key...

Also,

When was the last oil change?
Did the bike have the 36K done? if so when and by who?
Tire pressure - 42 front, 48 rear..

Just a few suggestions.

Regards..

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Ride it like you stole it!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I would check the maintenance records to see what all has been done. If all has been done, ride it. If you can't find that all has been done, start working thru it. I would end up with all fluids changed in the next few months. I had my clutch/brake fluids changed, and the coolant at dlr. Did my own oil. That was 6k miles, last september. Last couple weeks, I've been doing the 12K service, which took care of final drive, tranny, another oil change, air and fuel filter. So I'm pretty good that all has been attended to. Going to do valve check and spark plugs this weekend.

Randy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts