BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another NG, forum has been a great help for starting out, appreciate everyone's contributions.

Bought a 2000 LT with 38,000 miles a few months ago, trying to work through the initial maintenance. Bought at a discount with persistent ABS lights (rewired per
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30942&highlight=abs+reset to reset error codes ) but keeps coming back.

Front brake line started leaking which forced a major downtime/tear down. Put new Spiegler brake lines all around, flushed brakes, cleaned ABS pistons per K12Rick's post on
http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?p=359836 (fingers crossed on whether the ABS will behave, if not I will probably plumb around it). Flushed clutch fluid, replaced plastic fuel disconnects with brass, checked valve clearances, changed engine oil/filter, final drive oil (haven't done the tranny yet, but plan on it), new fuel filter, new plugs, changed coolant, replaced bent tip-over bar.

Don't think I want to go much deeper with the disassembly at this point, so will save the clutch slave/clutch housing weep holes for later. Probably won't tempt the speedo mod at this point either, haven't verified the error yet (still trying to decide on GPS mount strategy among all the options posted).

So bottom line, my question. Is there anything else I should try and get taken care of while I have the old girl stripped down? At this point, my maintenance hours have about equaled the riding hours and I would like to tip that balance with a trouble free summer.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Coupla thangs, Jim. I'd do the metal quick disconnect fuel fittings while you're at the stage you're in. Also, the cannisterectomy, which will give you an opportunity to reinstall the trunk a coupla inches back for your passenger's comfort. And, a convenience mod is to file out the fuel tank cap so that a key isn't needed each time you open up the cap. Still lockable if the need arises. Some other 'ghetto mods' are explained throughout the forums, once you get some riding out of the way and need some rainy-day reads.

Enjoy your ride. Watch those twisties that come up about every mile section or so!!! ;)

And if you get out to Benton, say "Hi" to my bro Greg at the Airpark he owns out there.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I was on the fence for the cannisterectomy, but hadn't thought about the seat shift.
Got the fuel disconnects from beemerboneyard, they sure are pretty, but I'm still adjusting to BMW part sticker shock.

Will do on Benton, I probably know some folks that fly out of there.

The bike hasn't seen many twisties, judging from the southwest travel stickers and tire wear. Will try to do better!

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
I did not see a mention of the air filter, but since you have the tank off now would be a good time to replace it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts