BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how critical is the 36,000 mile service? I'm thinking of having a local bike shop perform this service work instead of hauling my bike all the way to grand rapids. they tell me they have worked on bmws.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
If you had a valve check done at 24K you're probably OK. I skipped the valves at 36K because they were still within spec at 24K (and were again at 48K).

As long as they do the fluids and filters, you should be OK.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I just did my valve check last weekend and they were all in spec. I have 30K miles on it right now. Is there an indication (riding experience or a sound) that might notify us an incorrect spec about the values? Its an expensive (timewise) check to do the measurements only to find that everything is perfect (which happens most of the time).

I also upgraded my plugs to NGK iridium (no adjustments) and love the ride. The K whine at 5K rpm is also less. The engine is a lot more smoother.

For the 36K server, change the fluids (engine, trasmission, final drive), upgrade the plugs, valve check, filters (air, oil, fuel). You may even do these yourself. First time it takes 2-4 days. Second time the entire service might take close to a day.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,412 Posts
If you had a proper 24K done then your fuel filter is OK and unless you have been in dusty areas air should be OK as well. Same on the valve check unless some were at the edge but they don't move very fast. Other than that a good oil change and trans and rear should do it. Plugs wouldn't hurt.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike sounds great. Valves were in good shape at the 24k service.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ignore my long list of chores in the previous post. Earlier I assumed the 24K server was not done.

36k should be easy. A good local mechanic should be able to do it. Its only the fluid change.

If you have time and resources plugs would help - NOTE This last recommendation is skewed based on my recent happiness with my change of plugs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts