BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my bike to dealer today for annual maintenance and to address some warranty issues. Current mileage is 33237 km (~20,700 miles)

1. Had the brake wheel circuits flushed and a bleed test as per annual requirement. Fluid was very clean. A copy of the bleed test is attached for info. This was the only work I had the dealer perform. I will do all the other annual checks. Cost was $233.86 Can.
Note: BMW has issued a Bulletin dated Nov 2007 that specifies that the ABS Control Circuits can be flushed every 4 years - as opposed to every 2 years on the Maintenance Schedule.

The following work was all done under warranty:
2. I had 2 of the chrome strips (p/n 51-13-7-699-569 and 571) replaced on the outlet from the cooling port. The chrome had started to come unglued as shown in the attached photo.

3. The exhaust mounting bracket (p/n 18-21-7-656-032) had fractured and was replaced . See photo.

4. I noticed some looseness on my rear wheel this summer - but did not appear the be the rear drive. When I showed the dealer - they said it was the paralever needle bearings. The bearings were replaced (I thought these would not be covered by warranty but they were!!).The bearing p/n was 33-17-2-311-091.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,358 Posts
Great Jim,

I had wondered what was done on the bleed test. Quite a pressure difference between input and output. I have to agree on the bulletin for the control circuits. I have never seen any dirty fluid come from there unlike the wheel circuits which are usually pretty dark after a year.

I finally got a chance to drill my weep hole and I also had worn paralever bearings (44K). One was quite visible and the other just felt "notchy". I had a set of the J&L oiltite bronze units so that is what I installed when it went back together. They use a little less pre-load compared to the stock needle bearings. Will see how they wear.

Guess I'll keep an eye on my banjo fitting for the exhaust.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I got home, I checked the rear wheel and to my dismay, the rear wheel is still loose - probably a bit worse than before!! ( I should have checked it at the dealer before I left for home) The looseness is definitely in the paralever bearings - so it will have to go back to the dealer again.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Had same issue with the chrome pieces except that all four were replaced. Also replaced rear disk. Now I have issues with the centre stand not wanting to get the bike to sit up on first attempts and my trunk mirror broke but I am not sure if that is covered under warranty.

Which dealer did you use? I have nothing good to say about Wolf.

You may be interested in a tech session I am holding this Sat. (check out my thread under our flag), hope you can attend.

Regards...

Mugz

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mugszy said:
Had same issue with the chrome pieces except that all four were replaced. Also replaced rear disk. Now I have issues with the centre stand not wanting to get the bike to sit up on first attempts and my trunk mirror broke but I am not sure if that is covered under warranty.

Which dealer did you use? I have nothing good to say about Wolf.

You may be interested in a tech session I am holding this Sat. (check out my thread under our flag), hope you can attend.

Regards...

Mugz
I use Open Road in Newmarket. Have been very pleased with service and knowledge of mechanics and Service Manager.

I had seen your post about the Tech session. If I come - I'll bring my GS911 Code Reader - unless someone already has one?

Jim

·
Registered
511 Posts
RealWing said:
I use Open Road in Newmarket. Have been very pleased with service and knowledge of mechanics and Service Manager.

I had seen your post about the Tech session. If I come - I'll bring my GS911 Code Reader - unless someone already has one?

Jim
Hope you can make it!

Mauro

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the bike back again today and the problem turned out to be the RH side paralever bearing. One of the needles had been pushed out of the plastic retainer in the cage and was jammed behind it.
It was damaged during the last replacement on Oct 14th due to improper assembly - as the rear drive was being positionned.
All is now well!!!

·
Registered
511 Posts
RealWing said:

Jim
My bike is at Open Road for the centre stand, trunk mirror, and brake fluid change. They have had it for over a week with no word from them but I assume parts need to be ordered, so it takes time.

Mauro

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey Mugz, I bought my 2005 at Wolf, got a good deal, enjoyed the whole buying experience, and they have been great so far for service. Why are you not happy with them?

·
Registered
511 Posts
dmacd said:
Hey Mugz, I bought my 2005 at Wolf, got a good deal, enjoyed the whole buying experience, and they have been great so far for service. Why are you not happy with them?
Wolf has been known to cater to their own customers and I have heard good things about Ian's mechanical skills, indeed they are only 45 minutes away but they do not like you not buying from them and expect to be serviced in any decent amount of time. I bought my bike privately, my centre stand was acting up and they wanted to keep my bike overnight to inspect it. I do not have means to get back home but they refused to look at it while I was there saying they could not afford to pull a mechanic to take a look. I guess it takes a long time to press a button to see if the stand would deploy. Asked if I could rent a ride... nope, only do that for customers that bought the bike their... so he realy does not exude confidence that he wanted to do warranty work on my bike.

I cannot tell him how to run his business but I do not understand why he wants to turn away customers.

Mugz

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mugszy said:
My bike is at Open Road for the centre stand, trunk mirror, and brake fluid change. They have had it for over a week with no word from them but I assume parts need to be ordered, so it takes time.

Mauro
Say it there yesterday. Ronn was working on the center stand. Said the diagnostics could not communicate with the controller. may need a whole new assembly.
Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts