BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking some pictures of the Final Drive I'm building to use at the Smoky Mountain Fall Reunion at the Iron Horse Lodge in Robbinsville North Carolina.

This is for my 2000 LT so I'll need to install the speed sensor ring on the taper bearing hub. I freeze the hub & remove the taper bearing. I use red Loctite when I install the speed sensor ring. It then sits on the press for 24 hours. Then I epoxy the ring to the hub.

I use EP lube on the taper bearing back lash spacer so the Loctite I use when I install the taper bearing can't stick to the spacer. After I reinstall the taper bearing it sits in the press for 24 hours. This is something I also do on all of my rebuilds.

Attachments

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The next thing I have to do is machine the hole for the speed sensor, drill & tap the hole for the bolt that holds the speed sensor. I've had a friend do this for me before but I decided to make a fixture so I can do it myself. The fixture should be done tomorrow & the reamer for the hole will be here on Tuesday. The housing on the left is the GS 3.09 gear ratio that I'm converting for the 2000 LT.

Attachments

·
Miles of Smiles
1,045 Posts
Dave, it's a pleasure to see your attention to detail.
A true craftsman at work.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave,

Dealing with a Simpleton here, what is the benefit for the conversion of gear ratio? Thanks!
My 2000 LT came with a 2.75 ratio. I like how the lower ratio's start out in first gear better & the LT accelerates quicker with the lower gear ratio's. I've been using a 2.91 for highway riding & have used 3.20 & 3.36 gears in the mountains. This time I'm trying a 3.09 ratio. My 2004 LT that I use for my daily in town bike has a 3.09 gear in it.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
My 2000 LT came with a 2.75 ratio. I like how the lower ratio's start out in first gear better & the LT accelerates quicker with the lower gear ratio's. I've been using a 2.91 for highway riding & have used 3.20 & 3.36 gears in the mountains. This time I'm trying a 3.09 ratio. My 2004 LT that I use for my daily in town bike has a 3.09 gear in it.
Dave, what is the difference between the ring gear and pinion of the different sets? Does the ring gear have a different number of teeth, smaller, larger same? I expect the pinion has fewer teeth so does that make the ring gear thicker to account for the smaller diameter of the pinion? I don't remember if you have posted any side by side pictures of the different sets.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave, what is the difference between the ring gear and pinion of the different sets? Does the ring gear have a different number of teeth, smaller, larger same? I expect the pinion has fewer teeth so does that make the ring gear thicker to account for the smaller diameter of the pinion? I don't remember if you have posted any side by side pictures of the different sets.
2.62 gear ratio = 34 tooth ring gear & 13 tooth pinion gear, 2.75 = 33/12, 2.82 = 31/11, 2.91 = 32/11, 3.0 = 33/11, 3.20 = 32/10, 3.36 = 37/11. The gear sizes also change.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
That is pretty handy to have.

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
That is a very good idea! I have always hated how tall first gear is, so what is the top gear rpm at 80mph? That would also be very good for two up riding. Are you making these for sale?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts