BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 BMW K1200lte and the shift between 2nd and 3rd is a bit hard to complete (not always but most of the time i have to pull up quite hard to get it in). Is this normal or is this a sign that its getting ready to go? It also does not always shift from nutral to 1st without either double clutching or moving the bike a bit to line everything up. As ive never had a beemer before I dont know its quirks. Any advice?

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
A wild guess to at least check out. When was the clutch last bled? Maybe you have a spongy clutch that is not fully disengaging. I had an Austin Healey eons ago with a bad master cylinder that needed the double clutch not so much to match the gear speed but to pump up the pressure.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,181 Posts
Could also be sloppy shift linkage. Look here for a quick tour of how to check and lube the linkage.

Linkage

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies. I did a bit of backreading on a few threads and it seems like its probably in the linkage as I doubt they did anything to it before I bought it. Ill pull it apart clean it and lube it then we will see thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i need to reiterate what im talking about. Many times I skip right by 2nd gear strait to 3rd du to the closeness of 1st and 2nd (heavy 1st gear strait to 3rd). this is where I have the biggest issue. It hits 2nd fine but when I go to pass 2nd into 3rd it is hard as heck. Ive never had the issue on any other bike to this extreme. Monday Ill be pulling it apart to lube everything up and ill repost to let ya know what I found. Just seems strange that I dont have the issue with regular shifting but only when double pumping the gears and it is only the 2nd to 3rd interchange that sticks. More soon

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,181 Posts
What other bikes have you ridden? I don't understand why you are skipping 2nd. I don't usually shift out of second until I am at 60 (if no one is in front of me at the light). Actually 1st is good to 62 before you hit the rev limiter. The LT likes the higher RPMs. If you are shifting before 3,000 RPM then I understand your problems.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Going from first straight to 3rd is something inside the tranny. Shift forks? Quite rare, but can happen. My wrench says try shifting 'softer' see if that helps. Tearing into the K tranny is a bit time-consuming. If you find you can't shift from 1st without going all the way to 3rd (in one stroke) may be time to look for a used tranny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts