BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am contemplating a trip:

1. Am interested in those that have experienced a rear-drive failure, has anyone experienced a 2nd rear-drive failure on same cycle?

2. Assuming a reasonable dealership, are rear-drive failure parts readily available? (Didn't someone carry a 'spare' rear drive on trip, recently????)

3. Question one (1) begs the question as to whether repaired rear-drive better than factory?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
In answer to 3:

There is no way to ever know if a repaired drive will outlast a new factory one. It depends on a couple of things:
1- Was the culprit bad tolerances in the housing machining from the factory?
- if so, a new bearing may fail in the same way.

2- Did the person doing the repair have all the proper measuring equipment, AND the knowledget use them?

- if not, again, the repair may not last as long as a new one.

3- Was anything else damaged when the bearing went out? Such as gear damage, housing damage, etc.

- if there was other damage, again the repair may not last as long as new.

In short, I would not trust a repaired unit to last as long as new, the odds are against it due to the reasons above. Not to say it won't, just a gamble, with the odds in favor of the "house".

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David, I know you racked up some serious miles on one (or more) LT's. Did you experience any failures personally?

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
jpalamaro said:
Am contemplating a trip:

1. Am interested in those that have experienced a rear-drive failure, has anyone experienced a 2nd rear-drive failure on same cycle?

2. Assuming a reasonable dealership, are rear-drive failure parts readily available? (Didn't someone carry a 'spare' rear drive on trip, recently????)

3. Question one (1) begs the question as to whether repaired rear-drive better than factory?

Thanks in advance.
1. The drive in my '02 failed twice. I wasn't around for the first fix (done in St. Louis while I rented a cage to get to CCR out west, so I had no idea what what done. I *believe* the entire FD was replaced. At the second failure, I removed the FD at my dealers shop, and personally eyeballed the bearing -- a 19 ball unit.

2. I would *not* assume parts are in stock; probably will be overnighted -- *if* there's one in the country. This is the end of October, so the summer drain on stock is probably recovering.

If I had an older bike, I would buy and carry my own 17 ball bearing and seal. HOWEVER, with your '05, I wouldn't bother (I won't for this week's trip to Iron Horse). We have yet to hear of a failed 05 FD, and we have only one confirmed 17 ball failure, on a previously repaired older FD.

3. A crap-shoot -- depends on the previous damage vs. whether Hans was hung over that Monday.

Still, John, try and put it out of your mind -- just not very likely at all for you.

HTH,

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for reassuring words Mark, full well realizing anything can and will go wrong. I have a tendency to 'over-engineer' stuff etc. Just seems like FD failures continue to be a hot subject . . . but then again, clunky shifts, erratic idle, and low-speed front-end wandering are the hot topics on the K-BIKE.COM K1200S forum, and they are not that big a deal!

BTW, liked your answer as to why you buy BMW . . . guess it's because your reasons are also mine! Hard to find the quality in other bikes. FWIW, I have a Yamaha FJR1300AE on order. In case you aren't aware of the AE it's the electronic (pushbutton) shift system. Wonder what your thoughts are?

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
hey john ... please be sure to give us a full ride report on the FJR after you get it. i'd be very interested in your impressions of that bike.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks exciting! But, kinda hard to get excited since I am sure it's going not be much earlier than May of next year. Feel like a traitor but technically speaking quite an innovation . . . but then again Formula racing has had 'tiptronic' for years.

Regards

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
What happened to B est M otorcycle in the W orld?

dshealey said:
In short, I would not trust a repaired unit to last as long as new, the odds are against it due to the reasons above. Not to say it won't, just a gamble, with the odds in favor of the "house".
This is about the last thing I want to hear this morning,
after being without my bike for a week, with my bag liners still packed, laying on the end of the couch, burning another day of vacation time.
The seal they were waiting on finally arrived and the dealer told me they would be putting the Buffalo back together this morning.
There's a hurricane moving through the state with lots of wind and rain and still, I can't wait to get back on the bike
When I was a Harley rider I always carried a spare wheel bearing in my saddle bags, now you're telling me I should carry a spare final drive bearing and seal on my K1200LT, that is certainly not very confidence inspiring.

Just thinking out loud now, how many spare parts do the Gold Wing riders have to carry?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
Just thinking out loud now, how many spare parts do the Gold Wing riders have to carry?
At least you can carry the bearings in the saddle bags. Heck, one could even carry a spare final drive in the top case. :D

Nowhere on the 'Wing to carry a spare FRAME! :D :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts