BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like my second gear is bogging down during minor acceleration. I have to really give it a lot of gas to make it perform properly. The other gears seem to be just fine. Last two tanks of gas were 93 octane and I used some fuel injector cleaner both times which seems to make no differance. Got any ideas? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Ron,

How fast are you spinning the engine, you need it to be around 4k to get it to goooooo.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
johnbaker15 said:
Ron,

How fast are you spinning the engine, you need it to be around 4k to get it to goooooo.
Just cruzing up thru the gears, not zooming! I'd guess, cause I wasn't looking, around 2800-3000 rpm. I'm seldomly up in the 4k range.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
RonHolly said:
Just cruzing up thru the gears, not zooming! I'd guess, cause I wasn't looking, around 2800-3000 rpm. I'm seldomly up in the 4k range.

Ron, find a clear long stretch of road and spin her to redline in the first three gears. You will be amazed! Will not hurt (except for the grin) BMW's like to spin.
Robert

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Scouter-50 said:
Ron, find a clear long stretch of road and spin her to redline in the first three gears. You will be amazed! Will not hurt (except for the grin) BMW's like to spin.
Robert
+1

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
It took me some time, years, to get used to rrunning my LT at higher RPMS.

You will be simply amazed at your speed in first gear up around 6-7K.

I came across Texas last year and compared gas milage using 4th vrs using 5th. It wasn't a controlled experiement. But, I go about the same milage, 52 mpg?.

My conclusion, since theses engines easily go past 200K, is that running her at higher RPMs, probably her sweet spot, doesn't have a down side.

Best from tucson
Bob

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,919 Posts
RonHolly said:
3,000 RPM in 2nd is lugging the engine. This is a high reving engine. First gear is good to 62 MPH! I don't always go that high before I shift out of 1st but you get the idea. I never get out of 4th unless I am on the interstate. It takes some getting used to when you could blow up a cruiser engine above 5,000 rpm.

If you shift out of first at 4,500 rpm and hit second you will be well above 3,000 rpm already.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
jzeiler said:
3,000 RPM in 2nd is lugging the engine. This is a high reving engine. First gear is good to 62 MPH! I don't always go that high before I shift out of 1st but you get the idea. I never get out of 4th unless I am on the interstate. It takes some getting used to when you could blow up a cruiser engine above 5,000 rpm.

If you shift out of first at 4,500 rpm and hit second you will be well above 3,000 rpm already.
That seems like "gettin it" speeds! I just wanna get up to around town speed limits. 35-40 around town in 3rd gear with not that much winding out revs to be able to listen to the "radio" is nice. I could even bypass 2nd into 3rd and no lugging. I do take it out on the Interstate 2 or 3 times a week at 75-80 mph.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Scouter-50 said:
Robert
Oh yeh! Ron, run your LT at much higher RPMs from time to time. You'll be amazed, and you may think you're on a new bike! :) My personal favorite is 3rd gear - love it.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
RonHolly said:
That seems like "gettin it" speeds! I just wanna get up to around town speed limits. 35-40 around town in 3rd gear with not that much winding out revs to be able to listen to the "radio" is nice. I could even bypass 2nd into 3rd and no lugging. I do take it out on the Interstate 2 or 3 times a week at 75-80 mph.
Ron, no reason you can't run at 30-35 mph in third gear. Shoot, you can run those speeds in 4th or 5th gear. Just know that any kid on a moped will blow you into the weeds if he pulls up beside you and you try to take off.

These things have very long legs and they like to turn fast. Between traffic lights I seldom shift out of first. 40mph in 1st is easy as pie!

Loren

·
Cat Herder
1,442 Posts
Hi Ron, ride it like you stole it!!! I would cruise on my LT around at 35-40 as well but I would never leave 2nd gear. See what happens when you take 1st gear to 40 then shift to second and ride around. See if you get better response after you ride around for awhile.

·
Registered
85 Posts
RonHolly said:
Seems like my second gear is bogging down during minor acceleration. I have to really give it a lot of gas to make it perform properly. The other gears seem to be just fine. Last two tanks of gas were 93 octane and I used some fuel injector cleaner both times which seems to make no differance. Got any ideas? Thanks
Ron, it doesn't sounds like there is a mechanical issue. I believe I experience a similar phenomenon when "short shifting" from first to second (especially when its very hot out, and only from first to second, right?). I find if I wind it up a little more in first ( to maybe 4000 rpm) it minimizes the bog factor. Of course, winding it to the redline completely eliminates the bog factor... :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Beemerick said:
Ron, it doesn't sounds like there is a mechanical issue. I believe I experience a similar phenomenon when "short shifting" from first to second (especially when its very hot out, and only from first to second, right?). I find if I wind it up a little more in first ( to maybe 4000 rpm) it minimizes the bog factor. Of course, winding it to the redline completely eliminates the bog factor... :)
In addition, this could be a fuel mapping issue. JZ can help here... does his bike have the brown wire? or just remove the cat code plug?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,919 Posts
Cochinosucio said:
In addition, this could be a fuel mapping issue. JZ can help here... does his bike have the brown wire? or just remove the cat code plug?
2002 has the brown wire but that only helps in hot conditions just like the air temp sensor (never do both mods!!). He doesn't have hesitation but rather a "bog" from lugging the engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts