BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reporting behalf of my shy mate from Rocky,..........

Shane completed his annual pilgrimage, travelling from Rockhampton, Queensland, down to the Oz MotoGP at Philip Island, and back again of course, a round trip of probably 6000kms....in the couple of weeks holidays he gets off work every month....(well he always seems to be having time off hehehhehe)

5 kms from home on the return trip he gets the dreaded flat rear tyre syndrome, courtesy of the failed tyre valve.

I had this "disorder" some time back an thought "typical, why is it always me?".....(yeppppp getting paranoid as well......) but wooohoooooo someone else is sharing the load....plus someone I know.

Shane thought he had got the valve insert changed at the last tyre change....who knows....but you can be lucky an be very close to a repair shop to get the thing fixed, OR you coulda been out in the middle of the bush an have this problem. There are some pretty desolute regions between Rocky an civilization for this to have occurred.

Shane used 3 CO2 bottles to get some small amount of air back in the tyre and trickled off to the bike shop in Rocky, which as luck would have it, the keys were held by a mate whose wife saw Shane on the side of the road and called the mate to open the bike shop for him to get a new valve insert fitted.

I think you should go an buy a lottery ticket, or two, Shane.......

Couple of pix attached when I had my problem. the valve insert is only a small amount of $$, to keep in the side case...alongside the gear change threaded rod/ball joints,.........you never know......

cheers

Phill
78XS1100E "The Tardis" (ret)
99K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

Attachments

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Phil,

The problem you experienced has happened to many on this board and has been discussed extensively. Personally I have had two valve stem failures before I switched to aftermarket products. No problems since. The outcome of the prior posts indicated that the problem is not age related , as many including myself had installed new BMW OEM stems and had them fail also. Presently, the delamination issue with the BMW valve stems has not been solved, but it seems to be isolated to the LT. My dealer thinks high tire pressures and the sheer bulk of the bike contributes to this type of failure, but the jury is still out.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hey Phil,
Good plan keeping a spare handy. Unlike Shane, my dramas always seem to occur when I am in the middle of no where...like the time my clutch cable snapped when I was in the middle of Croc country in the Northern Territory (on my K1100LT)...but that's another story :)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
patrick2000 said:
Phil,

The problem you experienced has happened to many on this board and has been discussed extensively. Personally I have had two valve stem failures before I switched to aftermarket products. No problems since. The outcome of the prior posts indicated that the problem is not age related , as many including myself had installed new BMW OEM stems and had them fail also. Presently, the delamination issue with the BMW valve stems has not been solved, but it seems to be isolated to the LT. My dealer thinks high tire pressures and the sheer bulk of the bike contributes to this type of failure, but the jury is still out.
Patrick, are your aftermarket valve stems all metal ??

- Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts