BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys have been great so far and many thanks. I have installed the BMR shelf. Routed my power from the map light and ready to put the 2610 to use.

However, I am running into some mounting issues......

1. I ordered the cross bar for the BMR Co-pilot and a tourtech locking mount. I did a hold in place today and the mount hits the windshield screen in a low (not the lowest position).
2. I rode home with the GPS mounted on the dashboard mount with double sided sticky tape but that isn't gonna cut it. Unit gets some buffeting and may blow away at higher speeds. So I ripped that off.
3. I have the garmin motorcyle mounting kit but it doesn't look like it will work either.

Anybody got any ideas?? Different tourtech model? BMR is sold out of their "classic" mount.

Again thanks for the help.

Mike

·
Registered
590 Posts
When I ordered my shelf and the Garmin mounting kit, BMR was out of the L-shaped bracket needed to connect the mount to the shelf, but they were able to deliver about a month later. If they won't have any for a while, it should not be difficult to fabricate one, since it's just a flat piece of aluminum with a bend in the middle.

I have seen several LTs with the Touratech mount on BMR shelves. Maybe someone with some real experience will chime in about that option. I understand it is a more solid mounting option than the Garmin plastic bracket (that's what I hear; I did not try wiggling someone else's GPS!).

·
Registered
49 Posts
GPS mount

WFZone, I have just purchased the Garmin StreetPilot C330 from Best Buy in Asheville NC and it came with a suction cup mount, extension and basically a adjustable ball under the unit. This unit "ROCKS"! The c330 suctions itself to the gas cover and stays put. No Questions asked. AND if your not familiar with the c330 it is the most easy, accurate user friendly GPS unit I have ever encountered. It like it was made for my k12. Hope that helps, Pete

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pete1102 said:
WFZone, I have just purchased the Garmin StreetPilot C330 from Best Buy in Asheville NC and it came with a suction cup mount, extension and basically a adjustable ball under the unit. This unit "ROCKS"! The c330 suctions itself to the gas cover and stays put. No Questions asked. AND if your not familiar with the c330 it is the most easy, accurate user friendly GPS unit I have ever encountered. It like it was made for my k12. Hope that helps, Pete

Thanks for the advise but I already bought the 2610. I was concerned about the C330 (not water resistant and damage to hard drive from vibrations) probably will never happen on the LT but I didn't want to chance it.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
pete1102 said:
The c330 suctions itself to the gas cover and stays put. No Questions asked.
But...but...I do have a question. What are you going to do the day that suction cup decides to let loose? :eek:

I mean no offense...but I would never in a million years trust a suction cup mount on a motorcycle. Even the luxurious K1200LT. Just a little food for thought...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
messenger13 said:
But...but...I do have a question. What are you going to do the day that suction cup decides to let loose? :eek:

I mean no offense...but I would never in a million years trust a suction cup mount on a motorcycle. Even the luxurious K1200LT. Just a little food for thought...

It is sitting between his legs so maybe he will catch it....hope the suction cup does let go and then decide to grab on again....might be a little embarrasing going into the E/R with a C330 hanging onto the privates.

Just kidding. I am newbie here and learning a ton from everybody. The most important thing I have learned so far is to have everything strapped down tight. The last thing in the world I want to do is let go and try to grab something as it is falling from my bike.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My bad

My bad folks! The suction cup is mounted on the radio cassette recorder storage compartment cover dead center and the 12vdc cord runs through a rubber grommet at the top. Kit also supplies a 3m mounting disk with some kind of epoxy on the bottom. Value the paint too much for the disk, and your right I don't believe I'd set anything with a suction cup as far over as the gas cap cover. Pete

·
Registered
684 Posts
WFZone said:
I ordered the cross bar for the BMR Co-pilot and a tourtech locking mount.

Mike
I have a similar set up, only its a SPIII with the Touratech mount. I found that with the stock screen (I now have a Cee Bailey) the release thingy (tech term) would hit the screen when it was lowered all the way down.
I remedied the problem by cutting about 3/16 in. off the top of the release thingy. It never touched the screen again.

Btw, what part number Touratech mount are you using with the 2610? I may be getting a 2610 soon.

·
Registered
174 Posts
messenger13 said:

Just lost my SPIII because I didn't lock the mount, course by the time I realized what it was that hit my leg it had been run over several times. Now off to get a more permanent mount for the replacement

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mjac said:
I have a similar set up, only its a SPIII with the Touratech mount. I found that with the stock screen (I now have a Cee Bailey) the release thingy (tech term) would hit the screen when it was lowered all the way down.
I remedied the problem by cutting about 3/16 in. off the top of the release thingy. It never touched the screen again.

Btw, what part number Touratech mount are you using with the 2610? I may be getting a 2610 soon.

I ordered this one...Touratech MvG Locking Mount 065-0068
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Larger Photo MvG provides Softest "suspension" available to protect the electronics. Use the MvG model as special precaution if Micro-drive (spinning hard drive) CF cards are used. 2620 nas an internal Micro-drive.

Same as 065-0067 except it includes a KEY lock, and a powercord holder.

With KEY-LOCK
very secure attachment
MvG model has SUPER suspension for vibration protection on single-cyl and rough twins. Highly recomended if "micro-drive" CF card is used, such as on 2620.
mounts to 1/2 inch crossbar
can be used with RAM arm 065-0040 (=grbh)
includes stylus
holder for powercord when not in-use (note exposed terminal)

Touratech MvG Locking Mount
Garmin StreetPilot 2610 & 2620 065-0068 $165.20

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I have a modified RCU shelf

I cut an RCU shelf and dropped a section 1.5 inches. The "drop" shelf is held in place by Aluminum sheet that has been cut and bent and is held in place with snap rivets. Am using the L bracket from BMR (045_AMPSBracket - Slotted Mounting Bracket) and the motorcycle 26xx mount from Garmin. I initially used industrial strength velcro to hold the 2610 slide in base to the lowered shelf. I found road vibration had a tendency to "drop" the face of the 2610. The Garmin / BMR motorcycle mounts solved that problem.

I have attached some photo's.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hallo all,

there are different ways how to install the 2610 on the bike. Everybody has arguments and reasons why one does it how.
This is the way how I mounted my Quest. The "clamp" I used is originally designed for the 2610. I am using it for my Quest.
Disadvantage: No maplight anymore. Here are some pictures:

http://www.bmwlt.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=25&userid=

1 - 15 of 15 Posts