BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, to start with, if you live in an area of the country (or World) that it is currently covered in snow or ice where you can't ride, I am very sorry. I am lucky enough to live in Washington where we get random days of great weather even in the winter.
So I live out in Graham, about 20 miles south east of Tacoma. The weather here today was 63 and sunny. After church I had some lunch and decided to not let the day pass without getting out for a ride.
I left home and rode out through Orting, then to South Prairie, Burnett, Wilkinson, and Carbonado. This alone is a beautiful ride and worth doing if you have a chance. These small towns are full of charm and tucked into green mountain oasis's.

If you continue to follow Hwy 165 out of Carbonado it will take you out to Mt. Rainier National Park and past the Carbon River Ranger Station. As you wind your way up the canyon to the park you cross over the Carbon River a few times and below you is a rapid running river.

At about the mid point up the road you come to a bridge that is only one lane wide, you have to wait if anyone is headed your way. This is a very old bridge with a steel and wood design, most likely Army Corps. way involved. As you stand on this bridge and look down to the rushing water over 150ft below you can feel the bridge move under you. As cars pass over it, it shakes badly and gives an uneasy feeling.

A little while later you will come to an open area where you get a view of the river and some camping spots. The river is very gray from the snow and silt run off it gives it a unique look.

I rode out to Ipsut Creek camp ground to see what was there and look over the area. It would be a great place to spend a weekend or more fishing and hiking the area.
As I returned toward home again I took Orville Rd out through Electron and into Kapowsin and past the lake. At this point I was only a few miles from home and decided it was time to return.
It was a very pleasant surprise to have such a wonderful day for a ride in January in Washington. I must have waved to almost 100 other bikes as I rode out this way. The roads were still wet in some areas, the sun was bright and some of the roads were a bit rough in areas, but it was awesome. I had a great ride and I hope that if you live in the NW you enjoyed the day also.
Anyway, just had to share. This last picture is what my bike looked like after the ride, she is a bit dirty, but happy. Still need to scrub the whiskers off the new tires, but it was still a little wet for that.

Have a great day and ride safe everyone.:bmw:

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Thanks for posting your ride report and great photos. Gives us a reminder of what spring looks like. Four more inches of snow by tomorrow morning...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice pictures and write up. You're only about 3 hours south of us so I'll add it to the "Bike It List"
Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
787 Posts
Pics looked great, Damn I'm jealous, 12" to 16" of snow predicted for tonight and tomorrow. its not fair!!!!! Well I guess I could move, but its still not fair?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sometimes I get tired of all the rain here, but I do have to admit, the lack of real cold weather and snow does make it nice sometimes. It should still be nice for several more days to.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Happy Guy, nice pics thanks.
Across the Pond in Germany it is still a little to wet and cold.
We have snow just now.
But if I see your pics you have not to come across.
Could be in the Balck Forest or in the Eifel area. Looks the same.

Manfred

·
Registered
506 Posts
We may need to get together for a ride sometime. I could buzz down the 101 along the Hood Canal and meet up with you somewhere. Really looking forward to exploring WA on the bike. Moved out here last year. Finally got up to Hurricane Ridge a few weeks ago, but that was in the truck. No place for a bike up there this time of year...but will be about August!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We may need to get together for a ride sometime. I could buzz down the 101 along the Hood Canal and meet up with you somewhere. Really looking forward to exploring WA on the bike. Moved out here last year. Finally got up to Hurricane Ridge a few weeks ago, but that was in the truck. No place for a bike up there this time of year...but will be about August!
Well, I am ready and eager to ride with you. I have a lot of time on my hands right now, so just about any time is wide open. I have explored most all of the state except for the Peninsula. I have just not made it out that way yet.
Washington offers some amazing riding, I think often people overlook the great riding here because of the weather.
P.M. Me any time and we can set something up. I like to bike camp also, so a multi day ride is good also.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well, I am ready and eager to ride with you. I have a lot of time on my hands right now, so just about any time is wide open. I have explored most all of the state except for the Peninsula. I have just not made it out that way yet.
Washington offers some amazing riding, I think often people overlook the great riding here because of the weather.
P.M. Me any time and we can set something up. I like to bike camp also, so a multi day ride is good also.
Sounds great!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Great ride report. Love this weather. I'm in for riding and camping too :) The fog in the morning as I ride to Portland is bad but other than that, I'm happy to be enjoying this Jan weather.
Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts