BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No, I will not be asking how to do it or how much it costs. (it cost me about $130). I just want to tell all how it went.

My 14 year old daughter and I started it about 10:30 friday morning. First was taking off all the tupperware. We did this pretty quick. Then take off the gas tank and replace the air filter, the old one wasn't too bad, but put in the new one anyway. A note to all, make sure to look inside the air box real good, I found a few peices of asphalt in there (lots of road work going on in these parts).

Next was the fuel filter. fairly easy job, take out the old one, put in the new one, make sure everthing is cleaned up. put back together. I just used a big screw driver and the heel of my hand to both loosen and tighten the ring. If the ring and tank aren't marked, make sure to do so prior to taking apart. Mine was already marked before I bought the bike.

Before putting the tank back on, checked to make sure everything looked good underneath, cleaned things up a bit too. Put tank back on.

Then we did a valve check. Most were right in the middle of spec. Forward valve on number 1 intake was a tight .006. I left it in, will need to check closely on the 36K. Cleaned up the gasket and cover real good, put on a few dabs of RTV, then put the cover back on and torqued to spec. Next we changed the spark plugs. Old ones looked good, brown on the end, with a little soot on the metal end. Torqued the new ones to spec.

Next we changed the tranny fluid. I hadn't changed this since the 12K. I must have really cranked the plug last time because it sure was tough getting it break loose. I made sure not to crank it quite so tight this time. ( I don't normally torque drain plugs). The fluid looked like I had just put it in. It was my daughters job to hold the pastic catch I made out of an old quart jug to catch the fluid. She miscalculated a bit. Let's just say the center stand won't be rusting for a while.

The final drive fluid, which I changed at 18K, was much darker. Quite a bit of fuzz on the plug, but no chunks. I used Mobile one for the tranny and FD.

Then we changed the engine oil and filter, used mobile one for this as well.

Time to start it up to check for leaks before putting all the tupperware on. Hit the button, it ran for a few seconds then died. Hit the button again, ran for a seconds and died. Couldn't get it to run for more than two or three seconds. A quick check of things found that I hadn't pushed one of the quick disconnects all the way together, snapped it in, hit the button, and she purred. Checked for leaks, all good, We put all the tupperware back on and went inside. We finished up around 4:00. This is with taking a bit of a break for lunch. I didn't do anything with shift linkage as I had just done this a couple months ago.

This was only the second one of these I have done on my bike. It really isn't all that difficult to do, just a little time consuming. My daughter and I got to spend the day together, and had a pretty good time. For me anyway, it is much better than giving the dealership $800.

Saturday My daughter, wife and I spent the afternoon on the bikes. My wife has her own bike, and my daughter rides on the back of mine. The bike actually seemed to run smoother.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,561 Posts
Good on ya'......
I sure miss my baby now that she's grown up.......
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
She'll always remember hangin' with Dad and workin' on the bike. That's the good parenting that might even keep 'em talkin' to ya when they're teenagers! That $800 can go into the college fund. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,180 Posts
Good job! Don't forget about replacing/flushing the cooling system, brake, ABS & clutch fluid (every 2 years)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
The dealer wouldn't charge $800 for the work you did. That much money would have included the 24k service plus the brake/clutch system flushing too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Well done :thumb: I wish I could convince my 13years old daughter to spend that much time doing mechanic with me. She helped me bleed the brakes on my truck when I replaced the master cylinder but after only 5mns pressing on the brake pedal she was already asking me 'are we done yet?' :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pendie said:
The dealer wouldn't charge $800 for the work you did. That much money would have included the 24k service plus the brake/clutch system flushing too.

I was just going by prices others have posted in earlier threads, and besides, I did the brakes and clutch at a tech session in April. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alpac said:
Well done :thumb: I wish I could convince my 13years old daughter to spend that much time doing mechanic with me. She helped me bleed the brakes on my truck when I replaced the master cylinder but after only 5mns pressing on the brake pedal she was already asking me 'are we done yet?' :)

My wife and I are very blessed to have the daughter we have. She actually likes to spend time with us, and pretty much does whatever we ask of her without complaint. She has been working on vehicles with me since she was three or four. And since it was pouring all afternoon on friday, there wasn't much else she could of doing :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,206 Posts
Shopping malls are usually indoors :)

living_free said:
My wife and I are very blessed to have the daughter we have. She actually likes to spend time with us, and pretty much does whatever we ask of her without complaint. She has been working on vehicles with me since she was three or four. And since it was pouring all afternoon on friday, there wasn't much else she could of doing :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
living_free said:
Hit the button, it ran for a few seconds then died. Hit the button again, ran for a seconds and died. Couldn't get it to run for more than two or three seconds. A quick check of things found that I hadn't pushed one of the quick disconnects all the way together, snapped it in, hit the button, and she purred.
I did exactly the same thing when I did my last service. Easy to miss.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top