BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

24k Service requiring New ABS

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  kedwards005 
#1 ·
Let me preface my question by saying I am a rider; not a mechanic. I can change oil but that is about the extent of my mechanical talent.

I ride a 2005 K1200LT. 90% pf the service has been performed by the dealer with all routine maintenance completed on time. The bike has been kept in a heated garage since new.

Today I get the call from the dealer that goes something like this:

"Everything looks fine except you are at the beginning stages of a ABS Failure. Cost with labor is about 3k."

I asked if there was a way to bypass the ABS and he said "Yes, but we won't do it it." My ABS light isn't on nor have I had any indication from braking that it is going bad. The dealer said they did not recommend changing my brake fluid because that could cause the ABS system to fail.
Does anyone know who I can take my bike to in Indiana to have the ABS bypassed when/if it does fail. I just felt like I was trying to be scqred into spending 3k on a 10 year old bike that I did not need to spend.

#3 ·
I had my dealer tell me 2 years ago that I had to sign a waiver to have the complete ABS brake system flush and service done because the units sometimes fail after the service. I said you have to be joking right the whole purpose of having the service is to avoid trouble with the unit. WTF! I then talked to the owner of the shop who I had bought an extended warranty from and he agreed to do the flush without me signing a waiver, of course he saw his and my ass were covered. I then had it done this year and they did not even bring it up so who knows what the truth is about if they are trying to screw you or not. Hopefully one of the wrenching guru's will chime in.

#4 ·
Find another dealer. They can perform a bleed test and it is pass/fail period. There is no "marginal" test. Also to say don't change the fluid is also bad advice. Changing fluid will not cause a failure.

The only thing he could have seen was a collection of past faults that have self cleared but are still stored in memory. He may be biasing his recommendation on that but with out the details I cannot comment on the validity. Usually these just fail with no warning so I don't know what he is referring to with "the early stages of failure" report.

Reactions: anwdaryl
#6 ·
"Everything looks fine except you are at the beginning stages of a ABS Failure. Cost with labor is about 3k."
A bit like going to a doctor and being told, "I'm sorry but you are in the beginning stages of death..... here's an expensive prescription to make you feel better in the meantime"
Well, as soon as you are born you're in the beginning stages of death.... :rolleyes:

Screw em... find someone with a GS911 and check the readouts for yourself (or post them here for opinion), or find another stealer. I'd be more worried about the brake lines being 10 years old, rather than the iABS unit going out. Spieglers are cheaper than an iABS unit. :D

#7 ·
I love your analogy! I just wasn't convinced I needed to spend 3k. Now I need to figure out what to do if/when the ABS finally fails. I love my 1200lt....this is my second one as I had a 1999 before I had the 2005. I only ride about 4k miles a year and just have a hard time spending the 3k after I paid 2k for a clutch failure about three years ago.

#9 ·
I just wasn't convinced I needed to spend 3k
Exactly why I bought my own GS911 and, with all the support you get on this site (and friends with LT's) have learnt to do my own servicing...
maybe it's time to bite the bullet, you'll be glad you did.....

:bmw:

#12 ·
Falcone Motorsports- the one and only BMW motorcycle dealer in Indiana. The truth is I am not educated enough to debate the service manager. Today I called and said to change the brake fluid regardless and I will accept the outcome and the service manager said he did not think they could bleed it properly and therefore would not do the service. The service manager then said that there is a company called Module Masters that can rebuild ABS models and that cost, including labor, is aprox $600 with a 5 year warranty. That is much more reasonable. Unfortunately the rebuild for a 2005 LT is still under development but will hopefully be available soon. Does anyone know of another company that rebuilds ABS cylinders for the BMW K1200LT?

#14 ·
Certainly flushing is important, but (correct me if I'm wrong) I think exercising the ABS periodically in a controlled hard straight line braking strokes the pistons fully and helps prevent them from sticking.

#17 ·
Call Falcone @ 317-803-2434, ask to speak with "Nick" in service department, I did and here is what he had to say:

Nick at Falcone MrtSprt. said he is 3 to 4 days out on appointments right now, labor rate currently $84.50 until March 1, goes to $97.

Explained full iABS procedure was 6 circuits on unit and control circuits for front and rear. About $10 for fluid, get it all done for around $500 now. Took him a few moments to get the labor hours figured up but he didn’t hesitate, said it was 5.5 hour job.

Just thought inquiring minds would want to know.:wave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.