BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to thank everyone for the help with completing my 24K service. Now, I know I didn't directly speak to any of you; but the wealth of information that many of you have posted made the job "extremely" easy. (Well, that and the fact that BMW changed the valve adjustment from 12,000 to 18,000 miles) :)

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the "indirect" help and for saving me about $800.00 in service costs.

LOL

·
Registered
220 Posts
gargamel27 said:
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to thank everyone for the help with completing my 24K service. Now, I know I didn't directly speak to any of you; but the wealth of information that many of you have posted made the job "extremely" easy. (Well, that and the fact that BMW changed the valve adjustment from 12,000 to 18,000 miles) :)

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the "indirect" help and for saving me about $800.00 in service costs.

LOL

I have a 2009, when did they do that???

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BMW has changed the service interval for the LT's (at least the 2009's) to every 18,000 miles. The Service Tech at BOB's BMW printed out the new maintenance schedule for me.

And I'm 36, but that's what they're calling me at BOB's. LOL.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,259 Posts
Probably another cost saver implemented by BMW. My first adjustment was not until 48K, so I can see letting it go to 18K interval for checks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It probably will not need them, but the check the tolerances every 12K miles (according to the maintenance schedule). If at 24K they are still within tolerance, the dealership may spread that out to 18K on their own. But now with the new changes, it can go 18K before they will check them.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,259 Posts
rkimmel2 said:
Your supposed to have the valves adjusted?

Only if they are out of tolerance and the only way to know is to check them. The more time you spend near 7,000 RPM the faster the valve seats wear and more you will have to adjust.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
jzeiler said:
Only if they are out of tolerance and the only way to know is to check them. The more time you spend near 7,000 RPM the faster the valve seats wear and more you will have to adjust.

Ah, so true my friend, but yet, mine requires no adjustment at 61K. We will see what the future holds :)

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
bowlesj said:
Ah, so true my friend, but yet, mine requires no adjustment at 61K. We will see what the future holds :)
You obviously aren't riding her hard enough! :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
jzeiler said:
I have slightly over 10,000 mi. on her now.
She regularly see's 7,999 RPM, that's the only place where she sings to me in happy bliss.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,259 Posts
I guess I should re-phrase that. If you ride like a wus you may never have to adjust. If you ride like John B (as evidenced in his videos) and the rest you MIGHT have to adjust once (inside of 100K). The wear is very slow none the less.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
jzeiler said:
I guess I should re-phrase that. If you ride like a wus you may never have to adjust. If you ride like John B (as evidenced in his videos) and the rest you MIGHT have to adjust once (inside of 100K). The wear is very slow none the less.
Where might I find these videos? I did a quick youtube search and didn't find anything. I am guessing maybe here on the fourm somewhere, so I need to search some more. I'm still far from finding all of the forum's interesting nooks and crannies.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,259 Posts
Here is John's original post. You will see him hit 7,000 @3:08 into it.
Ride

1 - 15 of 15 Posts