BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

My first post!

I've been reading a lot of posts lately, many of them solved some issues I was having with the LT. Thanks to everyone.

I just ordered a new ABS ring for the front. I inadvertantly bent and cracked the original while doing a front tire change. While I was checking out of the BMWBONEYARD dot com, I saw the 24k maintenance kit they sell and added it to the shopping list.

I hope to complete the maintenance over a weekend this month. I will post the shortcomings and or success in the coming weeks.

I want to Thank You All for your contributions to this site, it would be hard to find this kind of information anywhere else.

-Grady
2000 K1200lt
Fremont California

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
Grady welcome and good luck.
I am working up the courage to get her undressed one day and save my self some money. I can put it towards fuel or my wifes Christmas gifts :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the heads up about the quick connects.

I saw on the thread you posted that there is an available part from mcmaster. I will order a couple today since I have an account with them.

If anyone has a few words of caution regarding the 24k maintenance, I'd like to hear em'.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
gramiras said:
Thanks for the heads up about the quick connects.

I saw on the thread you posted that there is an available part from mcmaster. I will order a couple today since I have an account with them.

If anyone has a few words of caution regarding the 24k maintenance, I'd like to hear em'.

Thanks again
Your 2000 LT probably does not even have the plastic QDs but instead has brass couplings. You will need to stop the flow of gas from the lines when you remove your brass couplings to install the Quick Disconnects. I used visegrip pliers with pennies and it worked like a charm.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
gramiras said:

Thanks again
Cautions: from experience
1) Keep track of which screws go where when removing the side panels. There are three different lengths and they don't interchange real well.

2) Be patient, forcing things just ends up costing you more in replacement items that you broke.

3) Engine must be cold when doing the valve check. NOTE: If your valves need adjusting you will have order the buckets as needed.

4) Have the fuel tank close to empty. It is much easier to handle when removing for access to the air filter. Also be careful when setting the tank down so as not to put weight on any of the fuel or electrical connections.

Last but not least... when in doubt, give us a shout. Odds are pretty good some one can answer your question(s). With luck they will even be good answers :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts