BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been covered here before, but I don't recall seeing it in the last few years that I have followed the forum.

Is there any particular sequence to be followed for the 24K maintenance items? Or are all things equally accessible once the tupperware is off? Just looking to benefit from others experience before I dive in.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
If you're referring to a list of things to be done and in a particular order, I've never seen anything like that. There is a list in the BMW Repair Manual of things that are to be done for each service and/or annual. I don't think the order of the way they are done matters. I usually do things that require Tupperware removal together, i.e. air, fuel filters, coolant, shift linkage, brake bleeding(can be done with Tupperware on, but easier to get to ABS unit if off), etc. Then everything can be put back together. The next week or so I do engine oil and filter, final drive, and the tranny if it's due. I know I could do it all together, but I go slow and take my time. Keeps frustration down since I'm not in a rush and I don't get overwhelmed by the mountain of maintenance.

Hope this is what you were asking for.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
No particular sequence. I just drain the lubricants as soon as possible, while they're still as warm (hot) as possible. Engine first, then FD, then tranny. Then strip the tupperware, and tackle the rest.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Go to the local Library and check out the Clymer's manual............I'd shoot you the page but my scanner is on strike...............must be the ........never mind...oh,well............. ;)

·
Registered
407 Posts
hallzee said:
No particular sequence. I just drain the lubricants as soon as possible, while they're still as warm (hot) as possible. Engine first, then FD, then tranny. Then strip the tupperware, and tackle the rest.
I change the fluids in reverse order. After warming things up , I change the Final drive, Trans and Engine in that order. My thinking is the FD gets the least hot and will cool the fastet (and the oil is much heavier), followed by the trans and engine for the same reasons. I have to note that I complete each drain and fill before moving on to the next section. If you were draining them all at the same time, than I guess it wouldn't matter too much. After that I do the same Hallzee with the Tupperware.

·
Premium Member
7,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lee510 said:
If you're referring to a list of things to be done and in a particular order, I've never seen anything like that. There is a list in the BMW Repair Manual of things that are to be done for each service and/or annual. I don't think the order of the way they are done matters. I usually do things that require Tupperware removal together, i.e. air, fuel filters, coolant, shift linkage, brake bleeding(can be done with Tupperware on, but easier to get to ABS unit if off), etc. Then everything can be put back together. The next week or so I do engine oil and filter, final drive, and the tranny if it's due. I know I could do it all together, but I go slow and take my time. Keeps frustration down since I'm not in a rush and I don't get overwhelmed by the mountain of maintenance.

Hope this is what you were asking for.
Yes, basically. I was just curious if anyone who had done a few 24Ks had found a certain sequence that was faster or easier than some other sequence. For example, since the ABS2 pump is used as part of the flushing process, does removal of anything such as the stingray cause any connection to be broken that would prevent pump operation? I can't imagine this being the case, but I have worked on other vehicles where removal of one part prevented another from being operable. That was maily was I was looking for.

It sounds from the posts thus far that the order is pretty arbiratary. I will probably do the oils while things are warm after a ride as I normally do and then strip the bike down and do the valves which probably require the most tupperware removal, then the spark plugs, and then the coolant and brakes and clutch flush assuming the ABS pump still runs with the stringray removed. Then I will catch the air filter and fuel filter while the tank is off. Next lube the center and side stands and shift linkage and I think that pretty well covers what needs to be done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts