BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Supposedly BMW is going to sell you the Alpine Amp at cost somewhere in the 600's. I'm thinking they should give it to you for putting up with the aggravation. I just posted a work around to use the bike's speakers to listen to music..............
What did you do to your bike today #250
ScFlat, where did you post the work around? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update in regards to the SiriusXM antenna on the 21 RT: I had mentioned a problem with the antenna reception and that was based on my first month's experience in April after I got the bike (SXM was activated for a few weeks). After that period, I only got the first Preview channel and realized the "bonus" period was over. So a couple of days ago I decided to log in to my SXM account and select "add new radio". Entered the bike's VIN number and surprisingly got the message that I was entitled for a 6-month free subscription on the 21 RT. I finished the transaction and re-sent the signal to the bike (removed from the garage to avoid signal obstruction). Interesting that after I did this, the reception appears to be much better. Not sure if it was the signal resend or having an actual subscription. I rode 260 Km yesterday and it worked well on highways most of the time but still dropped the signal a few times when riding in the city with buildings around. I will keep testing for the next few days as I like to have the option of selecting the radio station through the TFT (not possible if streaming via the SXM app)
Sorry about the poor speech to text conversion that no doubt follows. Hi have a new 2022 R 1250 RT that came with the factory installed HD radio and Sirius XM radio. It's been in the shop twice now for a total of 4 days. They can't figure it out. I am on video but the software upgrade has not resolved any of the HD or satellite reception issues that I have had since day one when I picked up the bike with 1 mile on it over 4 months ago. Software was updated the latest 013…. addition just this past week in the dealership was hoping that was gonna solve the problems. It did not solve the reception problems at all. I figured out this afternoon that even though The HD radio and satellite radios work great when I'm not moving with the windscreen down, soon as I raise the windshield about halfway up the satellite radio starts to cut out and eventually goes to no signal, even when not moving the bike and the engine off. Does all that much sooner when I'm moving. If I keep the windshield all the way down I've got perfect satellite radio reception whether I'm in town or a 100 miles out of town. However the HD radio reception continues to These keep and often I don't even get HD signal in my own suburban driveway in Bloomington, Mn. Like no HD signal reception from my house the entire mile and a 1/2 to the suburban BMW dealership. My 8 plus year old car rarely loses HD signal in any direction for a 150 miles or more.
The bike's antenna and/or its positioning between the TFT display and the windscreen and windshield brackets is terrible. I don't think it's tbe wi ndscreen interfering with the satellite radio antenna. I think it's the windscreen brackets. A s they rise they go right up on either side of the antenna and interfere with its ability to receive the signal. It would think BMW would be smart enough to figure this out and have avoided that situation. Post just making the satellite antenna sit up and inch higher or move it 2" back and have it 3" higher probably would have solved that problem. I can't get more than 10 miles from my suburban home before I often have no HD signal which means I'm getting a lot of static . The HD radio is useless unless I'm just driving around my neighborhood. Another 10 miles and I essentially have nothing on the FM radio and of course I switch over to satellite and it says no signal pretty much by the time I'm off my block. I'm in a suburban area where satellite and HD radio teceprion are great on my car amd other radios and work in every direction from here for 150 miles or more. No reason my motorcycle radios shouldn't both work too. Very frustrating on a brand new motorcycle and the dealership wants to play these games or what I suspect are games of, "We've never heard of this before." They don't seem to want to take the fairing off or do anything to actually check the connections, etc. I have good SXM reception as long as I don't raise the windscreen. What no sense is tbat? Kind of I ordered a $22 Satellite radio antenna with a good length of cable attached, but I don't want to mess with it as this is a brand new bike with a 3 year warranty. I want BMW to fix this so I can enjoy HD radio and satellite wherever I go. At least where there's a decent signal that can be picked up by my car radio as well as satellite radio wherever I can see the sky. So frustrating.

Steve

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Sorry about the poor speech to text conversion that no doubt follows. Hi have a new 2022 R 1250 RT that came with the factory installed HD radio and Sirius XM radio. It's been in the shop twice now for a total of 4 days. They can't figure it out. I am on video but the software upgrade has not resolved any of the HD or satellite reception issues that I have had since day one when I picked up the bike with 1 mile on it over 4 months ago. Software was updated the latest 013…. addition just this past week in the dealership was hoping that was gonna solve the problems. It did not solve the reception problems at all. I figured out this afternoon that even though The HD radio and satellite radios work great when I'm not moving with the windscreen down, soon as I raise the windshield about halfway up the satellite radio starts to cut out and eventually goes to no signal, even when not moving the bike and the engine off. Does all that much sooner when I'm moving. If I keep the windshield all the way down I've got perfect satellite radio reception whether I'm in town or a 100 miles out of town. However the HD radio reception continues to These keep and often I don't even get HD signal in my own suburban driveway in Bloomington, Mn. Like no HD signal reception from my house the entire mile and a 1/2 to the suburban BMW dealership. My 8 plus year old car rarely loses HD signal in any direction for a 150 miles or more.
The bike's antenna and/or its positioning between the TFT display and the windscreen and windshield brackets is terrible. I don't think it's tbe wi ndscreen interfering with the satellite radio antenna. I think it's the windscreen brackets. A s they rise they go right up on either side of the antenna and interfere with its ability to receive the signal. It would think BMW would be smart enough to figure this out and have avoided that situation. Post just making the satellite antenna sit up and inch higher or move it 2" back and have it 3" higher probably would have solved that problem. I can't get more than 10 miles from my suburban home before I often have no HD signal which means I'm getting a lot of static . The HD radio is useless unless I'm just driving around my neighborhood. Another 10 miles and I essentially have nothing on the FM radio and of course I switch over to satellite and it says no signal pretty much by the time I'm off my block. I'm in a suburban area where satellite and HD radio teceprion are great on my car amd other radios and work in every direction from here for 150 miles or more. No reason my motorcycle radios shouldn't both work too. Very frustrating on a brand new motorcycle and the dealership wants to play these games or what I suspect are games of, "We've never heard of this before." They don't seem to want to take the fairing off or do anything to actually check the connections, etc. I have good SXM reception as long as I don't raise the windscreen. What no sense is tbat? Kind of I ordered a $22 Satellite radio antenna with a good length of cable attached, but I don't want to mess with it as this is a brand new bike with a 3 year warranty. I want BMW to fix this so I can enjoy HD radio and satellite wherever I go. At least where there's a decent signal that can be picked up by my car radio as well as satellite radio wherever I can see the sky. So frustrating.

Steve
Don't hold your breathe they won't. I have perfect XM radio reception only because I moved the antenna to the top of my front brake master cylinder. I bought the round BMW XM antenna used in the K bikes and bought the stock extension wire also used in the K bikes.

Those 2 square things are magnets and hold the antenna firmly. If I have to get at the brake reservoir all I have to is lift it out of the way. I know BMW should be responsible to fix the radio under warranty but the BMW engineers know way better than the consumer that has to put up with BULLSHIT..................................

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts

Steve
Sounds like you're in the same boat as me with the AM radio antenna - which doesn't pull in any stations. The dealer won't do anything and BMW support says "radio reception on a motorcycle is not as good as on a car". With the AM radio, a cheapo aftermarket rod antenna placed right next to the BMW antenna in the right fairing picks up stations fine. BMW won't admit their antenna isn't fit for purpose.

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
163 Posts
Sounds like you're in the same boat as me with the AM radio antenna - which doesn't pull in any stations. The dealer won't do anything and BMW support says "radio reception on a motorcycle is not as good as on a car". With the AM radio, a cheapo aftermarket rod antenna placed right next to the BMW antenna in the right fairing picks up stations fine. BMW won't admit their antenna isn't fit for purpose.
Jono,

Do you have any aftermarket lights installed such as Clearwater or Denali under the mirrors by any chance?

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
163 Posts
Right there with you.

Unfortunately even with the windshield all the way down, the XM and FM (HD) reception is still weak. I lose reception in a lot of situations where my Buick does not. Going under a very small bridge? Nope, let me cut out. Going by a tall building, nope. It's frustrating to say the least.

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
163 Posts
I don't. The only mods I've made to the bike are head covers and a wider sidestand foot.
Good to know. The reason why I asked is that one of the techs offered up that the Clearwater lights I had installed were pretty close to the AM/FM antenna.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't hold your breathe they won't. I have perfect XM radio reception only because I moved the antenna to the top of my front brake master cylinder. I bought the round BMW XM antenna used in the K bikes and bought the stock extension wire also used in the K bikes.

Those 2 square things are magnets and hold the antenna firmly. If I have to get at the brake reservoir all I have to is lift it out of the way. I know BMW should be responsible to fix the radio under warranty but the BMW engineers know way better than the consumer that has to put up with BULLSHIT..................................

Do you have the parts # for the antenna and cable.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Do you have the parts # for the antenna and cable.
Your probably not going to want to pay these prices but:

0165 21 8521436Antenna for SDARS1$176.99

0265 21 8521434Antenna line, SDARS Satellite1$47.48

These are what I installed on my bike on the front master brake cylinder and the XM reception is flawless. I bought them from Bob's BMW online.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
It's a shame we don't have someone here with a 3D scanner and printer that could do a test-print of a pair of non-metallic windshield brackets to prove/disprove the brackets as a cause of multi-path phase cancellation.

Of course they may not be strong enough for full-time replacement and only good for lower speed testing but I'm SO FED UP with this issue.

I even left my bike at BMW Dealership for two weeks while I was away on my GS Adv in order for them to have time to test it.
Upon my return they said - we did the software update and it is working fine.
so I saddled up pulled out of parking lot and within 20 feet it cut out the 1st time and in 1 mile or less I lost signal several times while following their tech up to the gas station north of there.

When I spoke to the GM and Svc Manager later they said they DID test ride the bike, however when I spoke to the actual TECH he said "I don't mess with the radio on customer's bikes" which means he test rode it but NOT FOR THE XM ISSUE which was the ENTIRE REASON I left it with them for 2 weeks with the BONUS extra work of a 12K service that I could have done myself. I was being generous since they were doing warranty work on a bike they didn't sell...I now regret doing that to the tune of almost $1000 :(

oh well - rant done.....

Dave

41 - 54 of 54 Posts