BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all;

Just some pics of my clutch at 218k. Will be installing the oil proof disc.
You can see i still could go a little longer, not to the rivets yet. I will follow up with a measurement later, calipers at work. Had to change the alternator, so clutch also, but was not slipping at all. There also are pics comparing the two, and the hosing parts. Thanks for all the great help on this site. Now just got get her back together.

Zeke

Attachments

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I'm in there might as well. Everything but the main housings. Hopefully will go another 200k. LOL.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I'm hoping that you'll keep us posted on the feel of this new clutch. I'm not entirely certain that I won't have to replace mine - again. If I do, I'm seriously considering the one you're installing.
Thanks.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,341 Posts
Don't be surprized when you install the slave cylinder, it will almost go flush with the housng before you feel any push back. Just that little bit of thickness in the clutch plate translates into a lot of movement of the release rod. (by the way my name is in the hat for the next build of these oil proof clutches).

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,341 Posts
Yes they are all the same 99-2009.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good pictures. Did you put all 218K miles on?

Just wondered how long did it take you to get the clutch and alternator out? Also curious, if that was the original alternator? Don't seem to read about anybody complaining of alternator problems. Are you having the alternator rebuilt or buying one?

I've got a 99 LT with 47K. Based on your info I should have a ways to go before these items need replaced. I try to be easy on the equipment. Keeping fingers crossed.

Thanks,
Don
'99 LT
Eagle, Idaho

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
While you're in there be sure to get that Sprag Clutch for the starter cleaned up...

John

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
av8trto said:
Good pictures. Did you put all 218K miles on?

Just wondered how long did it take you to get the clutch and alternator out? Also curious, if that was the original alternator? Don't seem to read about anybody complaining of alternator problems. Are you having the alternator rebuilt or buying one?

I've got a 99 LT with 47K. Based on your info I should have a ways to go before these items need replaced. I try to be easy on the equipment. Keeping fingers crossed.

Thanks,
Don
'99 LT
Eagle, Idaho

All miles mine, all 48 states and Nova Scotia. Counting all the "stuff" about 6-7 hours. Once you get there it all kinda just falls out. less than an hour to remove trans and clutch. Well me either on the alt. but at 218k miles did not surprise me. The alternator had a bad brush spring. Bought one off ebay for 65$. Damn if I paying BMW 800$. But I was planning on the doing clutch during thanksgiving week, but got pushed forward.
Dont be easy, ride the hell out of her. I have never been easy on her. Still would do 110 mph two up about a month ago. Ride her like you stole her.

Zeke

·
Registered
216 Posts
Zeke: What a great thread to read tonight as we there are too many threads about stuff not lasting on these bikes. So all of the 218K are from you. Sweet.

BTW, I think it would be a great for everyone to read about your experience on the things you replaced, how you handled repairs on the road, what you did from a preventative maintenance standpoint (before, during and after a trip) and any fun stories about your trip through the US and beyond.

Ride safe.

Glenn

·
Registered
94 Posts
Seriously Zeke, you da man on the LT. You could write the book.

Thanks for the info. One more question please, what year is your LT?

Don
'99 LT
Eagle, Idaho

1 - 14 of 14 Posts