BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 2020 I started planning a mid year ride out of Vegas where I had a conference then on a rental Triumph Tiger 1200, at that time I owned a 2014RT in Oz. Covid got in the way, late last month my planning came to fruition. A 3100 mile 9 day rental from Eurocycle in Vegas, originally I thought I would live the American Dream but on a R18 Trans Continental not a Harley. I read all of the reports on the R18TC most were good but they all mentioned the weight. I couldn't get a test ride here apart from sitting on one, just to get it vertical off the centre stand was an effort. So I decided that it would be all about the ride not the bike and rented the same bike, a 2021RT I ride at home.

It was a good decision, I managed to change to a 2022RT, with 600miles on the clock it was missing the ACC and speakers, I managed to get an old 49l top box fitted. I took my Zumo XT and fittings, having modified mine so I could use the power supply on the fairing, also my Givi 25l tank bag. So plenty of storage I took tools, tyre repair kit and pump, wet weather gear (not used) as I would on a ride here. In less than an hour I had loaded the bike (I have 4 fitted bags) signed the paper work on an iPad, wet down my LD Comfort Tshirt and set off in 105f heat.

But my 9 day routes, planned through Basecamp, would only get to 80% and fail, I had the US Micro SD maps installed. Luckily in Favourites there were all of the locations etc so I set it for the North Rim GC. All was good until the third day after a breakfast stop at Price two hours north of Torrey when the Zumo refused to start up, panic, I had paper maps the destination was Riverton Wy. I used Google maps with the directions in my helmet from then on, going online that night to work out the reset on the Zumo. I have yet to use navigation on my TFT although I have succeeded in setting it up I just prefer the Garmin maps and the ease of making changes finding locations, gas stations etc on the fly.

So despite riding on the "wrong" side of the road I managed to take in 4 parks and some of THE rides in Arizona/Utah/Wyoming/South/Montana incident free :) I found most bikes on the road were Harleys who waved at me and weren't annoyed when I passed them, in Wyoming/Montana without helmets and riding at 50mph!

Next year after 14 visits to Vegas the conference will be in Fort Worth, where do I ride from there in July 2023?

Attachments

Registered
2018 R1200RT
Next year after 14 visits to Vegas the conference will be in Fort Worth, where do I ride from there in July 2023?
In July? North, ride North quickly, like maybe 1500 miles, to put some distance between you and the scorching Texas heat. (Or, see if they can reschedule that conference to maybe, February, May at the latest.)

But, I'm not a Texan, and someone who lives in that area may have better ideas. 馃槒

Registered
K1200LT 2005
If you don't like the heat, Albuquerque, NM is about 600 miles west. A mile up and different scenery than west Texas, which is pretty monotonous. If you want to stay in Texas, the hill country around Austin is pretty. Padre Island beaches are nice but a long drive. You're almost to Mexico then. You could swing through Louisiana if you go toward the gulf coast. I think I'd go to New Mexico. Carlsbad Caverns is impressive.

Registered
2015 R1200RT
I would head East and check out the Smokey mountains, TN, NC, VA, WVA. Or you could head up to New England where there is beautiful riding also

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking east, perhaps a good time now to look at a route and check temperatures, I have done north of the Tail of the Dragon into Vermont and Canada so southern states. The RT is great for long boring straights but I prefer twisty routes.

Registered
Being a Texan, I would really like to recommend places in Texas, but riding in Texas in July will probably be miserable. At that time of the year much of the central US is also very hot. I would be very flexible with your planning. Watch the current weather reports and chase the cooler weather. The Hill Country is a great area when it is not too hot. I would head there first and then consider the Ozarks and head for Tennessee, Kentucky and Virginia. If you stay off the super slabs, it should provide some interesting riding.

Registered
I would second part of a mention from Randy. For a relatively shorter ride before the fun starts, the Ozarks of northern Arkansas and southern Missouri are not too far away. Even with the rain, I had a lot of fun on the Missouri side in my K1200RS when I was there. If you want longer, you could also head north along the Mississippi River. If you decide to head all the way up to Lake Superior, you could also stop at Aerostich in Duluth, Minnesota. (It's nice to visit and buy some gear, but I'm not sure I would make that a primary destination.) Or, maybe even better, you could head towards Colorado and ride the mountain roads up into Wyoming and Montana (and back), possibly adding some more national parks to your list. Or, if the trip is long enough, you could combine both routes and make a large loop of it for a bit more variety.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts