BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been having issues with my wireless charging since I got the bike two months ago.

I’m using iPhone 13 Pro, with the newest iOS.

The issue is that the charger begins charging the phone wirelessly when I placed a phone on the cradle, but within about 10 seconds it stops.

Then goes on and off on and off the whole time.

I had my dealer open a case with BMW through their system and try to get BMW to provide any insight or confirmation to replace the wireless charging compartment.

BMW did not acknowledge they have an issue, recused replacement, and their response was: “have the customer use a plugged-in a charging cable“

Has anyone experienced this issue?

Here’s a video I took showing what is happening:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can BMW refuse to repair the compartment with the wireless charger?
Any advise how to approach this would be helpful…are there dealerships which can or can not just repair without BMW approval?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I’ve been having issues with my wireless charging since I got the bike two months ago.

I’m using iPhone 13 Pro, with the newest iOS.

The issue is that the charger begins charging the phone wirelessly when I placed a phone on the cradle, but within about 10 seconds it stops.

Then goes on and off on and off the whole time.

I had my dealer open a case with BMW through their system and try to get BMW to provide any insight or confirmation to replace the wireless charging compartment.

BMW did not acknowledge they have an issue, recused replacement, and their response was: “have the customer use a plugged-in a charging cable“

Has anyone experienced this issue?

Here’s a video I took showing what is happening:

I have the same phone with the exact same issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sound like the coils of the charger are not lining up with the coils on your phone. Removing any case would help to bring the coils closer - have you tried inserting the phone the other way up ie feet first obviously screen facing upwards ? Most with charging issues have swapped to right angled usb lead. They don’t publish a list of compatible phones so I guess that will be their get out clause.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sound like the coils of the charger are not lining up with the coils on your phone. Removing any case would help to bring the coils closer - have you tried inserting the phone the other way up ie feet first obviously screen facing upwards ? Most with charging issues have swapped to right angled usb lead. They don’t publish a list of compatible phones so I guess that will be their get out clause.
I tried all those things with no avail, I need purchase the 90 degree short charging cord and it does fit and work.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You get the feeling that the wireless charging compartment was a bit of an after thought from BMW when they realised that using your phone for navigation chewed the battery.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Only time I have issues with the wireless charging is when ambient temps rise above 90F. I find that opening the compartment at those temps helps but it still doesn't keep the phone fully charged. That and I try to move the phone as far left in the compartment as possible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried all those things with no avail, I need purchase the 90 degree short charging cord and it does fit and work.

Thanks for the tips.
I have an Apple MagSafe case, which extends the charging to outside layer of the case itself.

But of course I tried it without the case. The problem is a little worse with the MagSafe case on, but it exists in both cases.

If you watch the iCloud video I posted you see I a brand new iPhone 13 Pro without a case.

it simply doesn’t work for more than a few seconds at a time.

They need to fix this problem.
we paid for a bike with a wireless charger.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you using a case on your phone, and if so, have you tried it without the case?
if you use the Apple MagSafe case, the wireless perimeter is extended to the case itself. It happens with and without the case.

The issue seems to be the size of the phone.
only people with the 6.1” phone sizes ( iPhone 12, 13 or 13 pro ) are reporting this issue. While people with the 6.7” inch phone size (Max) are able to use the charger.

·
Registered
2022 R1250RT Triple Black
1 Posts
Just traded my iPhone XR for the new iPhone 14 Pro, 6.1 inch. Same issue as described deserttan. Will not keep continuously charging case on or off. Put it in feet first, etc. Tried is with "always on" screen set to active, not active...same issue. Also, I have the magsafe case. Guess I'm ordering a 4in 90-degree cable.
My iPhone XR with 6.1 screen worked like a charm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an iPhone 12 (with plastic case) and the inductive charging sort of works, but is heavily dependent on temperature. At the best of times inductive charging is only half the rate of wired charging, and I feel as though it’s fighting against the heavy battery requirements of the BMW app and, often, against high temperatures, which prevent charging. I use a wire connector most of the time and I found recently touring in high temperatures in Spain that it did little more than keep the battery at an adequate level to maintain the app. The inductive charger in my car works slowly but will take the battery to full, even using CarPlay.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts