BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
'21 RT
47 Posts
S21 Ultra, had to remove the tab to get it to fit and I have to drop it in top first, face up. Always comes out 100% charged. I keep q portion of a micro fiber cloth folded and pressed between the door and screen to keep the phone solid and aligned with the charging coil.

If I ever get a smaller phone I am screwed.

·
Registered
190 Posts
S21 Ultra, had to remove the tab to get it to fit and I have to drop it in top first, face up. Always comes out 100% charged. I keep q portion of a micro fiber cloth folded and pressed between the door and screen to keep the phone solid and aligned with the charging coil.

If I ever get a smaller phone I am screwed.
Nope, all I did was get a small piece of velcro.

Reactions: CanyonCarver

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT
252 Posts
The tab/holder comes off very easily, as it is just held in place by two small push fit posts which are moulded to the bottom of the tab.
Cheers.
Which tab are you talking about? There's the one that sounds like what you're describing that is used to pull on and help lift the phone out of that area. I'm talking about the one that is vertical and, when you slide the other button over, it snaps forward to hold the phone in place. Removing that one would / should easily allow for a bigger phone.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Which tab are you talking about? There's the one that sounds like what you're describing that is used to pull on and help lift the phone out of that area. I'm talking about the one that is vertical and, when you slide the other button over, it snaps forward to hold the phone in place. Removing that one would / should easily allow for a bigger phone.
That is what I did for my Note 20 Ultra. Then I got a smaller phone for the bike and used a small piece of velcro, works fine.

Reactions: Mellow

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT LE
67 Posts

Hi Mellow, Yes, I was referring to the lift out tab. Apologies if you were misled. Cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My iPhone 12Pro never works with inductive charging on my 22. I think it does not align properly with the charging coil. I bought a right angle short charge chord and use that with the outlet in the compartment. Works well so far.

·
Registered
2022 Triple Black R1250rt. Previously 2009rt, 2011K1600, 2017RT, 2019RT
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
My iPhone 12Pro never works with inductive charging on my 22. I think it does not align properly with the charging coil. I bought a right angle short charge chord and use that with the outlet in the compartment. Works well so far.
Try these...

Go To Cable™ – GoToCable

Even easier and much more flexible.

·
Registered
2022 Triple Black R1250rt. Previously 2009rt, 2011K1600, 2017RT, 2019RT
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So an update...I upgraded to an S20FE Samsung. Seems the S9 was just old.
S20 only just fits...also removed the pullout tab. Placing it reversed and straight in...no difference either way to charging.
I use Nav and media.
Charge pretty well stays at whatever it starts as. If fully charged it stays that way, but if not it doesnt charge more.
My only issue is heat. It appears (maybe a Samsung issue) that when temp gets above 25deg (outside) the phone stops charging. Below that works fine.
Most annoying part is it keeps trying to be charged so beeps on start and stop every few seconds so very annoying in the ears.
Done 12000kms since December (new) so lots of KMs to test. Other than this I dont have any issues with connectivity other than the odd drop out when starting again after a short stop.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My iPhone 12 Pro works perfectly with inductive charging. Are you sure you are getting it into the compartment correctly?

It sounds stupid, but I struggled with that for the first two weeks and didn't understand what was causing it. Turns out to be really simple: the pull-tab that is meant to help remove the phone can very easily get trapped underneath when you slide the phone in. If that happens it won't charge. I removed the pull-tab (not the capture mechanism, which I still use) completely and now it charges perfectly every time.

Also worth noting is that I have a Spigen case on my phone that doesn't interfere with charging. At first, I thought the case was the issue, but it was just the pull-tab.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have problems with my iPhone 12 as well. When it’s in the front pocket and locked the iPhone starts charging for 10 seconds and thereafter the light changes to flashing amber for 20 seconds. Thereafter it’s green again for 10 seconds and again amber. I found out that if I move the iPhone.more to the back it’s loading correctly, but then I can’t lock the phone and when braking the phone moves to the front. That’s the reason why my phone isn’t charging.
Did you check the status light during driving?
This is happening to me and others as well.
It’s a manufacturing defect clearly.

Here’s my post:

Here’s a video I took showing what is happening using a brand new iPhone 13 Pro:

Charging compartment malfunction video

·
Registered
14 Posts
Why don't you put your phone into the box "feet first"? My 12 Pro Max hits the power button and therefore the screen switches off when inserting the "right way". Hence feet first and no problems with charging or accidental button activation.

@Trilergy did you test your phone with a known good wireless charger pad? The manual says that yellow flashing means inductive charging isn't working. Also, test your bike's cubby with a known good inductive charging phone too. just to be sure.
The max version of iPhone works in this charger. But that’s the only version that does.
The 13, 13 Pro, or iPhone 12, do not charge continuously.
The reason you guys are losing power while riding his because the charger goes in and out in and out every few seconds. It cannot continuously charge your phone and therefore your phone is actually not charging.

(This is not only not charging your phone, but also destroying your battery life because each time you plug in a charger to your battery it reduces its lifespan by a little.)

have you gone to BMW dealer/authorized repair shop and requested them to replace your charging compartment?

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
612 Posts
have you gone to BMW dealer/authorized repair shop and requested them to replace your charging compartment?
Are you asking me? I don't have charging problems. What I did have was "hitting the power button and turning the screen off" problem due to the phone's size. That was "cured" by inserting phone "feet first".

destroying your battery life because each time you plug in a charger to your battery it reduces its lifespan by a little.
That is not quite how it works. You destroy your phone battery (any phone) much quicker if you let it discharge under 20%. The number of charges given as a measure of life span assume a full charge sequence, from almost nothing to 100%. Partial charging has almost no measurable effect. Aggregately you do reduce the life, but like anything else, batteries have a finite life span. The wireless charger switching on and off under the phone will not cause measurable damage. Certainly not within the working life of a phone.

·
Registered
2021 BMW R 1250 RT, 2020 BMW R 1250 GSA, 2014 HD FLHTK, 2005 Honda Goldwing
96 Posts
Had this problem with the iPhone 12 and now with the iPhone 13. Rather than going down another rabbit hole, I purchased a charging cable and connect the phone. Problem solved.

As stated before, I can't figure out why BMW would release such a finicky, gimmicky package to it's customers.
Considering the map issues, [directing me onto peoples drive ways and dead end farm roads] in addition to all the other challenges, I have to rate the overall user experience a solid 1 out of 10. Fortunately the actual riding experience is a solid 11. And that what makes me hold on to this motorcycle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Agree. The software experience is so poor.
disconnections of the Wi-Fi, lack of updates, they won’t even let owners know there’s a new firmware/software TFT version…and the poor quality of Motorrad customer support. I will think 10 times next time before getting a BMW bike.

their response to the wireless charger not
Working with my iPhone 13 pro was literally “…tell the customer to plug in a cable…”.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is happening to me and others as well.
It’s a manufacturing defect clearly.
They need to fix this. We need to make them fix it.
Here’s my post:

Here’s a video I took showing what is happening using a brand new iPhone 13 Pro:

Charging compartment malfunction video
I have a iPhone 13 and it charges every time I ride the bike. It is in an Otterbox case. One difference between my use and yours (as shown in the video) is that I always use the clamp in the compartment. The clamp keeps the phone from slipping too far down into the compartment. The only time I've experienced the flashing yellow charging lamp is when I've not seated the phone flat on the floor of the compartment. Also, I fit the phone in top first - never tried it the other way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a iPhone 13 and it charges every time I ride the bike. It is in an Otterbox case. One difference between my use and yours (as shown in the video) is that I always use the clamp in the compartment. The clamp keeps the phone from slipping too far down into the compartment. The only time I've experienced the flashing yellow charging lamp is when I've not seated the phone flat on the floor of the compartment. Also, I fit the phone in top first - never tried it the other way.
Great news, as based on this a replacement unit of the charger will solve this problem.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
163 Posts
Have 2021 RT... iPhone 12 Pro with or without case... green / off / green / off... this goes on a while then it turns amber. Doesn't matter if the phone is heads down or up. Same thing.

Samsung Galaxy S22+ with case - no light

Samsung Galaxy S22+ without case / head up... quick green then off

Samsung Galaxy S22+ without case / head down... steady green

Go figure.

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
Have 2021 RT... iPhone 12 Pro with or without case... green / off / green / off... this goes on a while then it turns amber. Doesn't matter if the phone is heads down or up. Same thing.

Samsung Galaxy S22+ with case - no light

Samsung Galaxy S22+ without case / head up... quick green then off

Samsung Galaxy S22+ without case / head down... steady green

Go figure.
In regard to the Samsung, what you report makes perfect sense to me! The charger in the phone compartment isn't powerful enough to charge your phone with the case on, and the different orientation is so that you get the charging coil in the phone to align better with the corresponding charging coil in the compartment. You can prove this to your self with your own charging station by moving your phone away from the prime spot, and there will be a point where you will get the same on/off response from your phone. The charging unit in the compartment just isn't very powerful, and that tend to amplify the issues. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the root of the issue that iPhone users are having this problems. The wireless charger in the compartment just isn't powerful enough for them?

Reactions: dpickens
21 - 39 of 39 Posts