BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Triple Black R1250rt. Previously 2009rt, 2011K1600, 2017RT, 2019RT
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using a Samsung S9 dedicated phone that I leave on the bike. It does not have any covers obstructing between the phone and the charging pad.

I have noticed that unless my phone is pre fully charged, on a few hours ride the phone will use more power than it will charge whilst in the pocket.

I typically have the map connectivity and play music.

If it is fully charged then it never gets to "red mode" even after an 8 hour day.

My latest example was a 4 hour ride today where the phone was at about 50% when I started. Within 3 hours the charge was down to red on the screen which when checked showed 24% on the phone. The light in the pocket also changed from green to amber after about 30 seconds when I put it back in.

I then moved the phone to a dedicated direct to battery port in my topbox. Was up to 60% within 30 minutes. Also had full connectivity to not sure it has to be in the front pocket to function properly.

Am I assuming correctly that the wireless charging is not a "full" charger or is there something else possibly wrong?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am using a Samsung S9 dedicated phone that I leave on the bike. It does not have any covers obstructing between the phone and the charging pad.

I have noticed that unless my phone is pre fully charged, on a few hours ride the phone will use more power than it will charge whilst in the pocket.

I typically have the map connectivity and play music.

If it is fully charged then it never gets to "red mode" even after an 8 hour day.

My latest example was a 4 hour ride today where the phone was at about 50% when I started. Within 3 hours the charge was down to red on the screen which when checked showed 24% on the phone. The light in the pocket also changed from green to amber after about 30 seconds when I put it back in.

I then moved the phone to a dedicated direct to battery port in my topbox. Was up to 60% within 30 minutes. Also had full connectivity to not sure it has to be in the front pocket to function properly.

Am I assuming correctly that the wireless charging is not a "full" charger or is there something else possibly wrong?
I have problems with my iPhone 12 as well. When it’s in the front pocket and locked the iPhone starts charging for 10 seconds and thereafter the light changes to flashing amber for 20 seconds. Thereafter it’s green again for 10 seconds and again amber. I found out that if I move the iPhone.more to the back it’s loading correctly, but then I can’t lock the phone and when braking the phone moves to the front. That’s the reason why my phone isn’t charging.
Did you check the status light during driving?

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Both of your conclusions sound accurate and are likely the cause of the loss of full charging, It's been my experience with electronics is that a direct connection is always better, ie: wifi is always a slower connection than connecting directly to the router, etc. Any connection has chances for interference in signals when vibrations and the like are present, even in the best circumstances much less on a vibrating handlebar mount going seventy mph down the highway. Use a good tight fitting connector and a usb to 12vdc power source that is listed to produce the most current within the devices limits for charging.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
611 Posts
I found out that if I move the iPhone.more to the back it’s loading correctly, but then I can’t lock the phone and when braking the phone moves to the front.
Why don't you put your phone into the box "feet first"? My 12 Pro Max hits the power button and therefore the screen switches off when inserting the "right way". Hence feet first and no problems with charging or accidental button activation.

@Trilergy did you test your phone with a known good wireless charger pad? The manual says that yellow flashing means inductive charging isn't working. Also, test your bike's cubby with a known good inductive charging phone too. just to be sure.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why don't you put your phone into the box "feet first"? My 12 Pro Max hits the power button and therefore the screen switches off when inserting the "right way". Hence feet first and no problems with charging or accidental button activation.

@Trilergy did you test your phone with a known good wireless charger pad? The manual says that yellow flashing means inductive charging isn't working. Also, test your bike's cubby with a known good inductive charging phone too. just to be sure.
Thanks
The phone for 3 years has been charged only on a charge stand (no wires) so I know that works.
Not sure about the power off point?
I can see the phone is on and the green light is on in the pocket. That's normal and says its charging. the other art only happens when power gets low. Why is it getting low?
For me it says usage is greater than charge.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks
The phone for 3 years has been charged only on a charge stand (no wires) so I know that works.
Not sure about the power off point?
I can see the phone is on and the green light is on in the pocket. That's normal and says its charging. the other art only happens when power gets low. Why is it getting low?
For me it says usage is greater than charge.
If the phone is 3 years old, it could be that the battery is getting weak and cannot take in enough charge to keep up with demand even though it can reach a full charge eventually.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the phone is 3 years old, it could be that the battery is getting weak and cannot take in enough charge to keep up with demand even though it can reach a full charge eventually.
Thanks. On charging in the the topbox it has all the same load from being connected but on direct battery charge, and it charges faster than usage so no don't think that is the issue.

·
Premium Member
6,308 Posts

I am sure that is the solution! Wireless charging is inductive charging, and if you don't have the sender coil lined up properly with the receiver coil in your phone, then not much charging is going to take place, if at all! Turn the phone around to get better alignment should work.

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
33 Posts
I have yet to see a wireless charger pad that can keep up with the load on a modern phone running nav and entertainment. At least you aren't driving the screen and it's backlight, which will chew thru even more.

·
Premium Member
6,308 Posts
I have yet to see a wireless charger pad that can keep up with the load on a modern phone running nav and entertainment. At least you aren't driving the screen and it's backlight, which will chew thru even more.
Perhaps you have seen very little? The charger in the RT's cubby is more than enough to keep my Pixel phones charged as well as add to the battery. Had the Pixel used in my '21 RT for more than 4,000 miles now, and typically I would start the ride with the phone battery 1-bar down, and not too long after riding, the battery would be fully charged, and stays that way for the full ride.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When it gets too hot the charging stops.leave the phone compartiment door open and all wil be good.merry christmas
I'm beginning to think it might be a heat issue. I've tried leaving the door open but no change. Maybe its the Aussie summer. Definately over 30 degrees in the compartment. Normal for most days in summer.

·
Premium Member
6,308 Posts
When it gets too hot the charging stops.leave the phone compartiment door open and all wil be good.merry christmas
Defective design for that compartment's ventilation! I ran into that situation last August when my phone shut-down due to heat, and I noted that the ambient temperature was 89 °F (31.6 °C). Yes, keeping the door open did work, which was what I did, even when ambient temperature was approaching 100 °F (37.7 °C). OTOH, in this country, in particular down south, we often get heavy downpour (rain) along with the high temperature, which was exactly what I ran into about a week later. Got caught in a sudden downpour and had to slam that door shut quickly, or I would have had my phone submerged in water in just a few seconds! Clearly, the vent fan is strong enough, but the inlet vent port is severely restricted. I haven't tried to remove that foam filter yet, but I suspect that might help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Both of your conclusions sound accurate and are likely the cause of the loss of full charging, It's been my experience with electronics is that a direct connection is always better, ie: wifi is always a slower connection than connecting directly to the router, etc. Any connection has chances for interference in signals when vibrations and the like are present, even in the best circumstances much less on a vibrating handlebar mount going seventy mph down the highway. Use a good tight fitting connector and a usb to 12vdc power source that is listed to produce the most current within the devices limits for charging.
The usb in the right glove box only has an out connection just to charge the phone. On older bikes it was used to plug in usb drive for music

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Defective design for that compartment's ventilation! I ran into that situation last August when my phone shut-down due to heat, and I noted that the ambient temperature was 89 °F (31.6 °C). Yes, keeping the door open did work, which was what I did, even when ambient temperature was approaching 100 °F (37.7 °C). OTOH, in this country, in particular down south, we often get heavy downpour (rain) along with the high temperature, which was exactly what I ran into about a week later. Got caught in a sudden downpour and had to slam that door shut quickly, or I would have had my phone submerged in water in just a few seconds! Clearly, the vent fan is strong enough, but the inlet vent port is severely restricted. I haven't tried to remove that foam filter yet, but I suspect that might help.
Power on mine got so low I took it out and put it on my direct to battery charge in the top box. Charged very quickly..in a cool topbox (never seems to get hot)

Interesting connectivity was no different that I could tell so not sure if it even needs to be in the compartment.

·
Premium Member
6,308 Posts
Power on mine got so low I took it out and put it on my direct to battery charge in the top box. Charged very quickly..in a cool topbox (never seems to get hot)

Interesting connectivity was no different that I could tell so not sure if it even needs to be in the compartment.
Heck, the connectivity is excellent. It was so even with the original software version on the TFT. Back then, I left my phone inside the house and went into the garage, switched on the RT, and to my amazement it proceeded to connect up to my phone inside the house. Both Bluetooth and wifi connected up as if the phone was right beside the RT!

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT
252 Posts
I rode in some 88F degree this weekend and was surprised how my phone was NOT hot so the ventilation seems to be good... we'll see when we approach our usual summer 90-100 degree temps.

Unfortunately, I had to take my case off for it to fit in the compartment - s20 fe - and dropped it cracking the screen a little.. ugh.. lol... I wish I could easily remove the tab/holder in that pocket as my phone w/case would just fit... Next time I have plastic off I'm going to see if that's something that's easy to do but also not compromise something in the process.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts