BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

2021 RT Nav VI mounted above TFT

32K views 114 replies 34 participants last post by  gary c 
#1 ·
New to the forum but a long time BMW/Ducati owner. Just picked up my option 719 RT and had the dealer mount my Nav VI above the TFT. Using the cradle it works well, wonderwheel obviously does not.

Having the music replay issues with my iPhone others have reported. Hope that gets resolved, otherwise love the bike.

See less See more
#5 ·
Welcome and congratulations! I am fairly sure that you will love the RT!

Reactions: Geoff c
#10 ·
Could you post the pic of your mount?

I am very curious as to me that is a great addition to the bike.

I am sure you can use the TFT mounts and a backer plate just curious what you did?

#12 ·
Well if it was me, that TFT is attached to something bracket wise behind the headlight. I would pull the headlight and see. But I would have a cradle and some aluminum flat stock before I started. If I could mount a plate I could mount the cradle. Maybe pull the speaker cover and look around first?

Reactions: Geoff c
#13 ·
I spoke to my dealer and the mount is made in Germany and used on Police RTs for mounting radar. They had to rotate the radio antenna 180 degrees and made a minor dash modification to install the bracket. The bottom edge of the Navigator rests right against the top edge of the dash. I waiting to get the exact part number but apparently the bracket is designed for the bike.

#17 ·
Oh that looks good. That bracket is made right for it and my Zumo XT would bolt right up to that bolt pattern, but it's a little taller then that Nav IV so I might have to fiddle with it. If you could get the part# that would be great. I need call the dealer and see what they can find out, but after seeing this I bet any 90° piece of medal can be mounted there unless the bottom piece is rolled semi-circular.

Thank you kind sir for the pictures!

#22 ·
Thank you for those pics and info.

That is a game changer there. Once that part number is out you wont find those for a year :)

• Haha
Reactions: JRT
#26 ·
Thanks BMWbkman! It's interesting as it looks like they have a few different bracket types. I'm not real keen on that big hole in the top....i wonder if that headlight fairing area is water tight to start with. I need to take a look at the bike.

#28 ·
Stay tuned, the guy who came up with this is going to make a bracket that will be easier to install with instructions including the wiring. As soon as they have it I will post the contact information. Otherwise the install is pretty complicated including rotating the radio antenna, finding the right wires for the nav so it will power up and power down, etc.

#29 ·
Congratulations on a nice RT. I always wonder why companies like BMW that do so much research along with R&D don't sort out simple issues like phone integration, a decent stereo, and a navigation system that is truly integrated. All of the GT, GTL`S, B series, and RT have had a crap stereo and speaker systems since day one by now you would think they would have that sorted by just listening to their customer base and feedback along with making the whole thing simple to work without having engineers degree. :unsure: I love the brand and for the money, they cost they should be a whole lot better. I understand the latest RT`s have improved in so many ways but in other ways, you sometimes have to be a rocket scientist or tech-savvy.
Enjoy your new ride I know as so many others around the world know you are on one of the best bikes being produced with fantastic handling and speed etc. Enjoy and be safe.

#30 ·
TO ALL FOLLOWING THE BRACKET ON BMWBkman 's bike:

I recently spoke with the guy who designs and makes this bracket (for the RT-P) and he says he is working on making one that would be much easier to install and Garmin-craddle-friendly. Really neat guy and he also rides which makes a lot of difference when you talk with him about ergonomics

Here is an email he wrote me back which pretty much summarizes our conversation. I am gonna wait for the user-friendly bracket he is making for the '21/s

Hi Fernando,

Thanks for reaching out. Not sure which bracket you are referring to, other than perhaps the TFT display mount (there are several). I spoke with a dealer yesterday about the same subject – he mounted a BMW Navigator using the Stalker DSR bracket. Though I worked, I think we can make a more elegant solution. We will design a new bracket to hold the GPS with the TFT display.

Best regards,

Frank Stevens
FMS Solutions, LLC

629 S Pokeberry Pl
Saint Johns, FL 32259-5438

C: 201-264-8365
F: 201-590-1115

info@fmsaccessories.com
www.fmsaccessories.com

#32 ·
If it has I haven't spotted it - and there is no reason for BMW to have retained it. I ran the cables back through the right hand side right to the tail in order to power it from an ezCAN, but I was also running cables for an Innovv K3. Others have tapped in to the DIN socket feed under the right hand panel.

#33 ·
Here's a solution for mounting a BMW NAV VI for the 2021 R1250RT. It's not the greatest, but it is functional.

There's an accessory bracket that fits on SW-MOTECH tank bags which accepts a RAM Ball for the automobile mount for the NAV VI. The power cable to the GPS mount, however, has a cigarette lighter end on it. With an adaptor, this can be plugged into the accessory plug in the fairing. This is not a great solution (I tried it) because the plug then sticks out far enough that if you're not careful it can be snagged by the handlebar and, if you have a hardwired accessory plug, it is not in a canbus switched circuit.

Since, apparently, BMW doesn't make a "repair" plug, the cable solution I created was to "modify" a spare accessory plug and solder the mount cable end (absent the cigarette lighter plug) to it and plug it directly into the canbus socket left unused when a hard-wired socket was substituted for the original canbus socket in the fairing. The following will give you an idea of how this all comes together.

Also note that Frank Stevens of FMS Accessories has designed a bracket for mounting a GPS above the TFT. It is not yet in his inventory, but is due soon.

This is the starting point.

IMG_4909.jpeg

I sawed off the cap, the barrel around the contacts in the plug, and the clamp for the negative lead.

IMG_4910.jpeg
IMG_4914.jpeg

Then I soldered the wires from the mount’s cable to the plug.

IMG_4915.jpeg

And, wrapped with electrical tape, the plug worked as intended.

I ran the cable under the fairing and up and to the rear of the handlebar.

IMG_4923.jpeg
…Resulting in this ...
IMG_4600.jpeg

#34 ·
New to the forum but a long time BMW/Ducati owner. Just picked up my option 719 RT and had the dealer mount my Nav VI above the TFT. Using the cradle it works well, wonderwheel obviously does not.

Having the music replay issues with my iPhone others have reported. Hope that gets resolved, otherwise love the bike.
Can you please post the link for the place where you got that bracket and if you have instructions or mounting pics or both I would appreciated it...thanks