BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who all is going to the Game of Roads in Waynesville, NC next month?

We should meet up for an RT ride!

Rick G

·
Registered
10 Posts
Who all is going to the Game of Roads in Waynesville, NC next month?

We should meet up for an RT ride!

Rick G
Not me - sadly my RT can't be picked up til Aug 21st - but I DID steal all the ride GPX's and will be doing them enroute from Bob's BMW in MD back to the Tampa Bay FL area!!
Will be doing paperwork to complete the sale today with a notary service, wired large down payment yesterday!!
At least salesman sent me a pic of MY bike:

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love that Blue!!

Rick G

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
I am not going to be too far away, but a week before those dates. Going to ride the full length of Sky Line Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway, as I make my way to join my kids in Hilton Head!

Reactions: LAF

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Skyline Drive though beautiful, is a toll road through the State Park and has only a 35 MPH Speed Limit strictly enforced. Radar Detectors are illegal in VA and they are strict. Be careful. A better way is to head through West Virginia to Roanoke to hit the Blue Ridge where you can maintain 55 MPH before the Rangers will stop you. 45 MPH limit. Another option is to take 16 through West Virginia where it meets up with VA 16 across the border. That is the start of the Back of the Dragon through Tazewell to Marion. You can pick up the Blue Ridge just east of Marion. If you haven't done that stretch it is equally beautiful with lower traffic.

Truthfully, any way you go should be big fun. Enjoy and ride safe!

Rick G

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you wait to pick up the Parkway in Roanoke heading south, you’ll miss about 80 beautiful miles since it begins near Charlottesville. I’d try not to miss that section which I feel is some of the best on the Parkway.

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
Hey Pad, make sure you slow down and pay your respects at the spot of my ‘12 RT’s demise!

36°59'58.1"N 80°08'08.6"W

Have a great (and safe) trip!

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Skyline Drive though beautiful, is a toll road through the State Park and has only a 35 MPH Speed Limit strictly enforced. Radar Detectors are illegal in VA and they are strict. Be careful. A better way is to head through West Virginia to Roanoke to hit the Blue Ridge where you can maintain 55 MPH before the Rangers will stop you. 45 MPH limit. Another option is to take 16 through West Virginia where it meets up with VA 16 across the border. That is the start of the Back of the Dragon through Tazewell to Marion. You can pick up the Blue Ridge just east of Marion. If you haven't done that stretch it is equally beautiful with lower traffic.

Truthfully, any way you go should be big fun. Enjoy and ride safe!

Rick G
I am very much aware of all that! That's why the wiring and installation of my V1 on my new RT has a low priority. If I do get it done before leaving, then my plan was to remove it before entering VA state line. That will be a simple unplug and removed from Velcro mount point.

If by toll road, you mean the entry fee for the National Park, then I have that fully covered as well. I have the senior life-time "America The Beautiful" pass ($10 when I got it, and $80 if you get it now). Speed isn't everything in riding, especially touring! ;)

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Hey Pad, make sure you slow down and pay your respects at the spot of my ‘12 RT’s demise!

36°59'58.1"N 80°08'08.6"W

Have a great (and safe) trip!
I was thinking of you when I had planned that!!! :p

If I had gotten my RT any later, I would have to either cancel or postpone this ride. As it is, I wanted to ride to Colorado around Mayor June, but BMW thoroughly screwed that up for me. That's going to have to be next year, or perhaps, this September??

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
If you wait to pick up the Parkway in Roanoke heading south, you’ll miss about 80 beautiful miles since it begins near Charlottesville. I’d try not to miss that section which I feel is some of the best on the Parkway.

Paul
Thanks for that. I will be riding the Pkwy end-to-end.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Pad G,

Enjoy the ride down the Parkway. Once south of Roanoke be very watchful for deer as that section is much more forested and enclosed. If your camping anywhere on the way down, or just exploring future camping opportunities, make a quick stop at Willeville Motorcycle Camp at mile marker 177.7 - RT 58 - in Meadows of Dan, VA. Its just off the Parkway and a really cool place. The Twin Valley Rally is held there in September. Its a great location to base at for rides around the area.

Paul

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Pad G,

Enjoy the ride down the Parkway. Once south of Roanoke be very watchful for deer as that section is much more forested and enclosed. If your camping anywhere on the way down, or just exploring future camping opportunities, make a quick stop at Willeville Motorcycle Camp at mile marker 177.7 - RT 58 - in Meadows of Dan, VA. Its just off the Parkway and a really cool place. The Twin Valley Rally is held there in September. Its a great location to base at for rides around the area.

Paul
Thanks Paul.

I am not a camper anymore! Getting too old for it, I guess. I had discovered that when I hiked the ancient Inca trial to Machu Picchu, a few years back. It was a 4 days hike, and the first night of tring to get into a tent showed me that my joints just didn't like the needs to crouch down low anymore!! On the planned ride of the BRP, I will spend the first night at Peak of The Otter; the second night at a hotel in Blowing Rock; and the third night in Maggie Valley, after finishing the BRP to the very end. As for deer, I think that I need to pass on the warning to somebody else here!!! ;)

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
Hey Tom, I hear that I should watch out for deer on the BRP!!! :devilish:
Well, there’s one less out there now……

Reactions: PadG
1 - 14 of 14 Posts