BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

401 - 420 of 443 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Finally, my RT is out of production, and ready to be shipped! I had doubled checked the features on the bike by getting a copy of the build-sheet, and it does have everything that I wanted on it, sans the actual radio of course. It does have TPM, and it IS radio prepped!

Now, how long will it take to get that thing here?
Good for you PadG.

I have not a clue how long or even a guess, but did you get any indication on time frame?

I look forward to your review.

Well I look forward to your waiting, build progress, and delivery experiences also :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally, my RT is out of production, and ready to be shipped! I had doubled checked the features on the bike by getting a copy of the build-sheet, and it does have everything that I wanted on it, sans the actual radio of course. It does have TPM, and it IS radio prepped!

Congrats!

Do let us know if the "radio prep" includes speakers or not. My local shop had two RT's show up about two weeks ago and I'll stop by today to see if either has been set up.

NC

·
Registered
106 Posts

Great to hear the bike is reaching the final hurdle.

So it’s a race then! Let’s see which one arrives first
My purchase timeline. Order placed Feb 16. Build date mid March. Container arrival date either May 27 or June 4 - into the Port of Montreal which just went on strike…
I’m looking forward to your riding impressions too. I reckon you’ll have yours before me!

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #404 ·
Good for you PadG.

I have not a clue how long or even a guess, but did you get any indication on time frame?

I look forward to your review.

Well I look forward to your waiting, build progress, and delivery experiences also :)
They can only guess as to when the bike will get here. Based on what the Canadian riders have been posting, I think that it's going to be in June! So, the saga of my "last bike" continues!

If it wasn't for the fact that the RT fits my requirements for a bike, like a glove as no other bikes could, I would have said goodbye to BMW with the way that they have been treating us here in the US. Well, this will be my very last BMW vehicle. I suspect that my next "vehicle" is going to have a 3-points star in front!

Went out on a ride on the '15 RT yesterday. It's all stripped down, ready to be traded in or sell. The stock screen was in place, instead of the Werks, and boy, It reminded me of how quiet the Werks screen was! Hopefully, I can fit that screen on the new bike with simple relocation of mount holes!

Reactions: LAF

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #405 ·
Congrats!

Do let us know if the "radio prep" includes speakers or not. My local shop had two RT's show up about two weeks ago and I'll stop by today to see if either has been set up.

NC
I will do that! Unfortunately, I suspect that the 2 RTs that you will see will not have the radio, and I will be interested to see even if they have TPM!

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #406 ·
Great to hear the bike is reaching the final hurdle.

So it’s a race then! Let’s see which one arrives first
My purchase timeline. Order placed Feb 16. Build date mid March. Container arrival date either May 27 or June 4 - into the Port of Montreal which just went on strike…
I’m looking forward to your riding impressions too. I reckon you’ll have yours before me!
Yeah, and I could have placed an order last October, right after the announcement and I would have had everything that I want, including the radio, before now!

Anyway, I don't expect the ride quality to be very different than my present RT, except for the added power and a little better transmission. I say "little" because mine is well broken in, and I get smooth shifting in all gears, up and down. Therefore big difference is going to be the new features, which is what I am going to really appreciate. Adaptive cruise control, for a start. When I go on day-rides locally, I would take the local country roads, and set the cruise control in areas with no traffic, and come off it as soon as I catch up to other vehicles. The adaptive cruise control will be great for that, so that I can keep it on and pass when possible. The Econ ride mode is going to be interesting, since as much as I hate riding on the Interstates, I have a lot of it planned for this year.

Reactions: GeordieTraveller

·
Registered
47 Posts
I saw a new 2021 at my local dealer here I’m Chesapeake, VA. No radio speakers or TPM on it. I did see a demonstration of the TFT. Pretty Impressive and a little bigger than I anticipated - even from the photos I’ve seen. I still like the simplicity of my NAV 5 on my 2015 though - and my phone is still just my phone.

Paul

·
Registered
43 Posts
The federal government is forcing the Port of Montreal to go back to work, as it is interfering with COVID supplies for the rest of Canada...wow...one good thing to come out of COVID!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
The federal government is forcing the Port of Montreal to go back to work, as it is interfering with COVID supplies for the rest of Canada...wow...one good thing to come out of COVID!!
Fingers crossed it gets through the senate or else I’m going to have a long ride with a pair of bolt croppers strapped to the bike!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just got a call from BMW USA. They told me a bulletin went out today to the dealers about a discounted retrofit kit to add TPMS to these early US bikes. I have contacted my dealer and awaiting the cost per this bulletin.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cost I was quoted was around $450 for the TPS retrofit kit which BMW says reflects a 50+ % discount and around three hours of labor for a total of around $780. More than I thought, but supports other reports I have read that the normal price would be in the $1200-$1300 range without BMW discount. I am going to do it as I had a flat in my first 200 miles on the bike and no warning lights alerted me to the loss of pressure or compromised handling. The front tire going flat really degraded the handling of the bike and when I went to turn into a gas station the bike failed to negotiate the turn and I had to go into a bank parking lot instead. It was then that I discovered that the front tire had a flat. Luckily no one was exiting as the front end did not go where I expected. I will pay the money to avoid that very dangerous situation in the future.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Boy, 2020 with the brake issue and now this with the 2021 model. I flirted with the idea of "upgrading" my 18' model, but honestly I just wasn't impressed when I checked out a white 21' with no radio. I'm sure the engine is a worthy upgrade, but not too enamored with the TFT and its nav solution. Other than that it's pretty much the same bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked mine up today and I can confirm that it does have operational TPMS and the "radio prep" (speakers and antenna) but no actual audio unit.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #416 ·
I picked mine up today and I can confirm that it does have operational TPMS and the "radio prep" (speakers and antenna) but no actual audio unit.
Is this one of the "warehouse" unit?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought one of the “warehouse” units as I wasn’t told they could order one and I wanted one “now.” My bike as outfitted (all options except radio and TPMS) cost $500 less than if I ordered one now as BMW did away with packages and every thing is a separate charge. I guess I could rationalize my $780 retrofit system to only be costing me $280, ( $780 - $500 savings = $280.) Can you tell I used to be in marketing and sales?

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #418 ·
I bought one of the “warehouse” units as I wasn’t told they could order one and I wanted one “now.” My bike as outfitted (all options except radio and TPMS) cost $500 less than if I ordered one now as BMW did away with packages and every thing is a separate charge. I guess I could rationalize my $780 retrofit system to only be costing me $280, ( $780 - $500 savings = $280.) Can you tell I used to be in marketing and sales?
Those are the decisions that we make!!! Back then, I was offered a blue one like what I wanted, but for some reasons, the "warehouse" ones were with the standard height screen, and probably equipped like yours. My dealer knows what I want, and why, and at the time BMW refused to accept ANY orders, telling the dealers to sell the "warehouse" bikes. Eventually, BMW accepted the order, but by then the best that could be ordered was with the "audio-prep" (which isn't even an option right now . . . or at least, the last time that I'd looked). I want the bike exactly as I wanted, and was prepared to wait.

·
Registered
12 Posts
After I get the TPMS installed I will have the bike exactly as I wanted. I don’t listen to the radio as I like to stream music off my phone into my Sena speakers. My bike is at the dealer now getting a new front tire, (a flat in the first 200 miles) a TPMS retrofit, and a 600 mile service. I had to sell my 2020 Yamaha XMAX 300 scooter as I couldn’t fit an SUV, the golf cart, a kayak, the RT, XMAX, 5 bicycles, 2 ladders, tons of garden equipment, etc., etc., etc. into one 2 car garage. Oh, these are the “sacrifices” that we have to make.

·
Registered
291 Posts
After I get the TPMS installed I will have the bike exactly as I wanted. I don’t listen to the radio as I like to stream music off my phone into my Sena speakers. My bike is at the dealer now getting a new front tire, (a flat in the first 200 miles) a TPMS retrofit, and a 600 mile service. I had to sell my 2020 Yamaha XMAX 300 scooter as I couldn’t fit an SUV, the golf cart, a kayak, the RT, XMAX, 5 bicycles, 2 ladders, tons of garden equipment, etc., etc., etc. into one 2 car garage. Oh, these are the “sacrifices” that we have to make.
Exactly the reason the wife & I will be seriously considering a 3-car garage as a must when we relocate in the near future. It's either that or we get rid of one of the two cars ... I'm at max capacity with the two cars and 2 of the 3 bikes we own stuffed into our 2-car right now. Fortunately I've got 2 sheds in my yard to keep the rest of my crap ;)

401 - 420 of 443 Posts