BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

381 - 400 of 443 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Supposedly, part of the delay is the microchip shortage coming out of China due to COVID. It affecting the entire automotive and motorcycle industry worldwide. I've read elsewhere that the factory in Germany is at reduced hours/staffing also due to COVID.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #382 ·
Supposedly, part of the delay is the microchip shortage coming out of China due to COVID. It affecting the entire automotive and motorcycle industry worldwide. I've read elsewhere that the factory in Germany is at reduced hours/staffing also due to COVID.
Yes. I am aware of the chip shortage, and it account for the lack of radio and perhaps the TPMS receiver unit. I was just wondering if there was anything else? As you said, reduced factory work hour due to COVID is probably the most likely other main reason!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had just heard from my dealer a couple of days ago that my order is finally in production, and I have the last few digits for the VIN.

Did they tell you the reason for the delay?
No, just those buyers affected by delays. He did say he had one order from Dec that still hadn’t arrived so they must be worried about people cancelling.

Congrats on your bike getting started

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey all - joining this thread as a happy owner of a 21 R1250RT in Racing Blue. Got one of the dealer's-first model that landed in Canada in early March. Those models have most of the packages and options, including TMPS and Radio. Took delivery a week ago and haven't had much opportunity to ride but really looking forward to warmer weather and less pandemic-related restrictions to put more miles on this amazing machine

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 ·
Hey all - joining this thread as a happy owner of a 21 R1250RT in Racing Blue. Got one of the dealer's-first model that landed in Canada in early March. Those models have most of the packages and options, including TMPS and Radio. Took delivery a week ago and haven't had much opportunity to ride but really looking forward to warmer weather and less pandemic-related restrictions to put more miles on this amazing machine
So you are the guy who got that one!!! :) Congratulations, and I do mean it, even if you have the one that I wanted.

Reactions: GeordieTraveller

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #386 ·
No, just those buyers affected by delays. He did say he had one order from Dec that still hadn’t arrived so they must be worried about people cancelling.

Congrats on your bike getting started
Thanks. Finally, and who knows when I will get my hands on it!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Congrats! Does the radio include Satellite Radio as well?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Congratulations! We’re not jealous at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So you are the guy who got that one!!! :) Congratulations, and I do mean it, even if you have the one that I wanted.
Thank you. As far as I know, there is another bike (exact same color and spec) available here in the Toronto region. I can give you the contact if interested

·
Registered
228 Posts
It does - see picture. I suspect that piece on top of the TFT is the satellite antenna
Excellent! What phone model do you have? And let us know your thoughts on the connectivity between the phone and TFT once you’ve had a chance to use it for a bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
LIke many of you, I was quite disappointed to learn the 2021 R1250RT would ship without the radio and TPMS. The latter I understand as the TPMS is a one trick pony.

But not getting “the radio” can be interpreted in many different ways. I don’t ever really see me listening to the built in speakers while riding but if I am working on the bike or eating lunch at a rest stop I might want to hear music. But the music I want to listen to will be streamed from a phone or connected to a USB port via a thumb drive or iPod device. So while I won’t need “the radio,” I’ll need bluetooth functionality as well as the built in speakers and what I have not gotten confirmation on is whether the first shipment of US bikes that don’t have “the radio” are merely missing the electronic tuning for AM/FM/Satellite connectivity or if there are no speakers and additional hardware is missing as well.

If the shortage is merely the chip-referenced hardware and BMW intends to supply it in the future, I can see where the rest of the necessary hardware is included and one would only need to have ”the radio” module installed and then full radio functionality is returned. I also don’t want to NOT have the TPMS but if BMW will install it in the future as mentioned above, I am okay with that.

So the short version of this diatribe is whether the lack of a radio also means no speakers and no way to. play music other than Bluetooth to headphones or if I can stream to the built in speakers but there is no reception for AM/FM/Satellite radio.

My dealer just received their first unit and they should have it setup in a week’s time. I’ll know by then for sure but like all of us, would like confirmation of what we are really getting as soon as I can get it.

Thanks.

NC

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #394 ·
Thank you. As far as I know, there is another bike (exact same color and spec) available here in the Toronto region. I can give you the contact if interested
Thanks, but I think that there might be some issues trying to get it down south of the border! ;) That one has radio as well?

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #395 ·
Numbercruncher - you should be able to order one with "radio-prep" option from your dealer. I stressed the "should" because that option is no longer in the Motorrad configurator. So, talk to your dealer. My order is finally in production, and that order does include the radio-prep. So, as soon as the radio unit is available, it can be added to the bike.

Reactions: Numbercruncher

·
Registered
25 Posts
So I got one with the radio or TPMS. The TPMS will be installed later and a reduced cost. But I did not get the radio or the radio prep. I have been able to use the system to connect my Cardo and use my phone to play music. The system allows me to control the Pandora in my phone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I got one with the radio or TPMS. The TPMS will be installed later and a reduced cost. But I did not get the radio or the radio prep. I have been able to use the system to connect my Cardo and use my phone to play music. The system allows me to control the Pandora in my phone.
Does your bike have speakers?

NC

·
Registered
10 Posts
Excellent! What phone model do you have? And let us know your thoughts on the connectivity between the phone and TFT once you’ve had a chance to use it for a bit.
I have an iPhone and had some issues setting up the connection to the bike for the first 2-3 days. It's working fine now.

I wanted to share my experience with the satellite radio. I tried using it for the first time today (recently learned that bike comes with a free preview of SiriusXM) and got frustrated with so many interruptions. I mainly rode through town (no highways) and in several places the connection was dropped with message "No SiriusXM signal". So the bike's satellite antenna appears to be worse than a car's. I have SiriusXM radio on my car and rarely have issues driving around town (only in certain spots with tall buildings).

Not sure if the bike's satellite antenna would work better on highways - will need to test that. Once I changed the source to regular FM, the radio worked well without any issues

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #400 ·
Finally, my RT is out of production, and ready to be shipped! I had doubled checked the features on the bike by getting a copy of the build-sheet, and it does have everything that I wanted on it, sans the actual radio of course. It does have TPM, and it IS radio prepped!

Now, how long will it take to get that thing here?

381 - 400 of 443 Posts