BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

361 - 378 of 378 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I wouldn't do that if you like to ride twisty roads. On the other hand Honda probably has the electronics perfect.
Haha yeah it was actually a leap to get my head around buying the RT (test ride changed my mind!) because twisty roads are my first love but this is going to be our two up bike. We tried a K1600GTL right after the RT and both of us hated the big old barge ( no offence to K1600GTL owners! ) so GW probably not in my near future.
I would like to try the DCT though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Got my reply from BMW Canada this morning

“Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad Canada.

We appreciate you providing the last seven digits of the VIN for the 2021 BMW R1250RT in which you have placed an order for. Please be advised we can confirm that your bike was built and will be delivered with the tire pressure monitor system (TPMS). We hope you find this information helpful.

If you have any further questions, please contact the Customer Interaction Centre at 1-800-567-2691. Again, thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad.”

As has been pointed out on another thread, it looks like RDC is BMW speak for TPMS, hence the confusion.

I guess I’ll have to cancel the Goldwing order after all

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #363
Wonder how fast the 1250s can go? Take a look at this one, even if it's the lighter RS:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Update on the TPMS. Picked up my bike yesterday and was told by the dealership that BMW will be installing the TPMS at the cost of around $500-600. Basically what the option would cost if ordered. I am totally OK with this. Mine did not have the radio, but if I had the option, I would not order one anyway. First ride was great and I will put down some thoughts later.

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #366
Update on the TPMS. Picked up my bike yesterday and was told by the dealership that BMW will be installing the TPMS at the cost of around $500-600. Basically what the option would cost if ordered. I am totally OK with this. Mine did not have the radio, but if I had the option, I would not order one anyway. First ride was great and I will put down some thoughts later.
What other options did you have?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Congratulations on getting the bike. Looking forwards to hearing your first impressions of it.
That’s too high of an estimate on the TPMS. As an option it wasn’t that expensive up here - it should be more like $250usd

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went down to my local dealer yesterday to check on my order and to
get a ride on the plain Jane demo RT. I confirmed that TPM is an itemized
option listed in the package for my bike and the only thing that is missing is
the radio of course. I am really glad that TPM will be there from day one and I
won't have to worry about retrofitting it later.
As for the demo ride I was very impressed. I wasn't able to suitably sample
the power that the engine has to offer of course but it felt strong and I think
I'll be happy there. The brakes are nothing short of amazing and it handles
very well. I'm glad to have the Harley sold now and I'm really looking forward
to riding my RT. I'm guessing that the Harley types that I ride with will be
polarized with it It'll separate my friends that ride Harleys from my hardcore
orange blooded associates who probably never gave a damn about my friendship
anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Finished the first 200 miles on the new RT. It is a wonderful bike. The engine and handling is outstanding. It does feel a little lighter than my 2014, which I don't understand since the weight is the same. Maybe it is due to the new window front design and how the wind impact is reduced. Some of the new items are really nice. The adaptive cruise control worked well and while I thought I would not have selected this as an option, I really liked it. Glad that it came with this bike. I can feel the difference in engines, the increased HP is nice. I really like the display. I played around with it and found the settings I like. I used the partial map and it worked well for me. It took some time to get use to how to operate it, after an hour of so, it felt like I got it. I think the key is testing different set ups and deciding which you like the best. There are some things I still need to figure out, but overall, thumbs up.

The app worked well, overall. Our group uses MyRoute to put together the trips. So for this ride, we put in a route that we normally take for a quick half day ride. I have MyRoute loaded on my phone, so it was easy to save the route onto my phone as GPX file. Once I opened the app, I was able to import the routes quickly. In fact, it was easier than my friends that have the Nav 6. Now it downloaded 2 versions of the route, I believe one is with waypoints and one is a track version. I read in another thread to use waypoints, since that will re-calculate the route if you go past a turn off. Not sure which one I downloaded, so I need to check on this. We did to test the system by going past a turn and seeing how the app adjusts. At first the app wanted me to go back the start point, which was 20 miles back. While after some miles back on the correct route the system caught up. So I still need to test this out. The connection between my phone and bike was good, and I did not lose it during the ride. It does take a minute or two for the full connection. Also, after lunch, the app did connect to the bike as long as the app was open but it took a few miles before the navigation caught up.

OK, let's talk phone. I have a Pixel 4a 5G. Not a huge phone. It fits into the compartment only if I don't have a case on it. If I have my case, it will not fit the way it should. Also, my phone does not have wireless charging, so I need to connect into the USB port. However, a normal straight USB C will make the phone not fit into the compartment. I had to order a right angle low profile USB C cord. Don't get more then a 1.5 foot cord. This worked, however, I can't have a case on my phone (kind of a pain) And yes, you need to have the phone charge because it does eat up a lot of power. It would have been nice to increase the size of that compartment.

Anyway, going to put on another 200 miles tomorrow and will see if there is anything else I can add.

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #370
Great write-up! FYI, I also have the Pixel 4a-5G, and already made it chargeable wirelessly! Take a look for an adapter, which is just a thin circuit board, sealed in some type of protection. The whole thing is attached to the back of the phone with double-sided tape and also plugs into the USB-C port on the phone: Amazon.com : pixel 4a 5g wireless charging adapter

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great write-up! FYI, I also have the Pixel 4a-5G, and already made it chargeable wirelessly! Take a look for an adapter, which is just a thin circuit board, sealed in some type of protection. The whole thing is attached to the back of the phone with double-sided tape and also plugs into the USB-C port on the phone: Amazon.com : pixel 4a 5g wireless charging adapter
Thanks. I thought about this but worried about overheating. But good to know there are other options.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Finished the first 200 miles on the new RT. It is a wonderful bike. The engine and handling is outstanding. It does feel a little lighter than my 2014, which I don't understand since the weight is the same. Maybe it is due to the new window front design and how the wind impact is reduced. Some of the new items are really nice. The adaptive cruise control worked well and while I thought I would not have selected this as an option, I really liked it. Glad that it came with this bike. I can feel the difference in engines, the increased HP is nice. I really like the display. I played around with it and found the settings I like. I used the partial map and it worked well for me. It took some time to get use to how to operate it, after an hour of so, it felt like I got it. I think the key is testing different set ups and deciding which you like the best. There are some things I still need to figure out, but overall, thumbs up.

The app worked well, overall. Our group uses MyRoute to put together the trips. So for this ride, we put in a route that we normally take for a quick half day ride. I have MyRoute loaded on my phone, so it was easy to save the route onto my phone as GPX file. Once I opened the app, I was able to import the routes quickly. In fact, it was easier than my friends that have the Nav 6. Now it downloaded 2 versions of the route, I believe one is with waypoints and one is a track version. I read in another thread to use waypoints, since that will re-calculate the route if you go past a turn off. Not sure which one I downloaded, so I need to check on this. We did to test the system by going past a turn and seeing how the app adjusts. At first the app wanted me to go back the start point, which was 20 miles back. While after some miles back on the correct route the system caught up. So I still need to test this out. The connection between my phone and bike was good, and I did not lose it during the ride. It does take a minute or two for the full connection. Also, after lunch, the app did connect to the bike as long as the app was open but it took a few miles before the navigation caught up.

OK, let's talk phone. I have a Pixel 4a 5G. Not a huge phone. It fits into the compartment only if I don't have a case on it. If I have my case, it will not fit the way it should. Also, my phone does not have wireless charging, so I need to connect into the USB port. However, a normal straight USB C will make the phone not fit into the compartment. I had to order a right angle low profile USB C cord. Don't get more then a 1.5 foot cord. This worked, however, I can't have a case on my phone (kind of a pain) And yes, you need to have the phone charge because it does eat up a lot of power. It would have been nice to increase the size of that compartment.

Anyway, going to put on another 200 miles tomorrow and will see if there is anything else I can add.
I'm happy to hear that the adaptive cruise control is enabled. I thought there were rumors that it hadn't been approved yet. Some good news for a change.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm surprised it's that low for the TPMS to be installed after delivery. People don't realize it's usually much harder to add most features like this after it leaves the factory. It requires the parts to be shipped and BMW techs to install and integrate it. In many cases components and wiring for features are covered up by other stuff during assembly making it hard to get to later on. I can tell you that while TPMS is not essential to ride, it greatly increases the safety factor. I have already had one occasion where I found out about a small leak in the rear tire before it dropped to a dangerous level. $500-$600 is cheap compared to having a crash because you didn't know one of your tires was losing air.

Like you, I could have done without the radio on my 2019. It is not user friendly, lacks modern functionality with my phone and the XM-Sirius audio quality when piped to my to Sena is abysmal. And the external speakers suck. I've read that this hasn't changed on the 2021s for the speakers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm surprised it's that low for the TPMS to be installed after delivery. People don't realize it's usually much harder to add most features like this after it leaves the factory. It requires the parts to be shipped and BMW techs to install and integrate it. In many cases components and wiring for features are covered up by other stuff during assembly making it hard to get to later on. I can tell you that while TPMS is not essential to ride, it greatly increases the safety factor. I have already had one occasion where I found out about a small leak in the rear tire before it dropped to a dangerous level. $500-$600 is cheap compared to having a crash because you didn't know one of your tires was losing air.

Like you, I could have done without the radio on my 2019. It is not user friendly, lacks modern functionality with my phone and the XM-Sirius audio quality when piped to my to Sena is abysmal. And the external speakers suck. I've read that this hasn't changed on the 2021s for the speakers.
I think that because it was not even an option with the current shipment of bikes to dealers, there was a lot of complaining to the dealers. This is something owners want and the dealers were getting a lot of blowback. So BMW decided to eat some of the cost and take the heat of them. At least that is my opinion. Will update once it happens.

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #375
Thanks. I thought about this but worried about overheating. But good to know there are other options.
That compartment is fan cooled! Unless you mean heating from the added converter? The answer to the latter is no heating effect at all. I have been using one for a couple of months now.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I actually was at the dealer today to pickup the front fender on my current RT. They chipped it when they did the fuel pump recall and they repainted it. I took a look at the new RT in blue. IDK. It didn't do anything for me. On one hand, it's beautiful, on the other I'd be afraid to screw it up. I am not particularly careful once in a while...And I don't need all that tech. I think I am officially an old fuddy duddy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
So I heard a rumour today that BMW are so far behind with shipments due to COVID and supply issues have brought cargo shipping costs up so much that they’ve decided to charter planes and fly the bikes to NA. Sounds like a win / win. The airlines can use some of their empty planes and we get our bikes before the Summer is over!

361 - 378 of 378 Posts