BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

341 - 360 of 378 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got word from my dealer that yes, the TPMS can be installed but a cost of $1200 ($800 parts and $400 labor). But she suggested I wait since the BMW rep told her that BMW might be doing something about this. The dealership did not even know that all of their 2021s came without the TPMS until I asked about it. So I am guessing that there is some pressure on BMW to provide some type of fix with this from the dealerships. I believe adding this as an option was about a $500 additional option, so if they do something like this, I would be fine. She also said the current price includes a discount for no radio or TPMS, I do take that with a gain of salt but hey, buying a BMW is not for the weak of heart (with regards to money). Still have not heard anything from my email to BMW customer service. So potential buyers, write them to help increase the pressure for a fix.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Got word from my dealer that yes, the TPMS can be installed but a cost of $1200 ($800 parts and $400 labor). But she suggested I wait since the BMW rep told her that BMW might be doing something about this. The dealership did not even know that all of their 2021s came without the TPMS until I asked about it. So I am guessing that there is some pressure on BMW to provide some type of fix with this from the dealerships. I believe adding this as an option was about a $500 additional option, so if they do something like this, I would be fine. She also said the current price includes a discount for no radio or TPMS, I do take that with a gain of salt but hey, buying a BMW is not for the weak of heart (with regards to money). Still have not heard anything from my email to BMW customer service. So potential buyers, write them to help increase the pressure for a fix.
TPMS was a $320cdn extra when we ordered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #343
Yes that’s what I was (clumsily) trying to say. I don’t think of the ‘21 RT as a first year bike at all. The only issues that could arise should be teething problems with the new tech.
What’s ‘funny’ is that the real problems might be caused by bikes turning up missing important (and paid for) components. Honestly, if the TPMS isn’t able to be retrofitted I’ll be thinking long and hard about rejecting the bike no matter what financial incentives BMW offer. Also my Denali Cansmart plugs into the TPMS as well so there’s that!
That's pretty much about how I feel about the TPMS as well! When I ride, I am a little concerned about 2 things, and that is the condition of my tires and the condition of my battery.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I checked the order sheet I had from my dealer when I ordered my '19 GSA. TPMS was not an ala carte option. Could only be had with the premium package. Looks like that continues across the model lines. If enough people raise hell I suspect there is a chance the warehouse bikes will see a low cost or free TPMS retrofit. Nothing happens fast with BMW corporate and the customer service reps can't do anything but log your complaint. I think they are hooked up to electrodes and get shocked if they start to offer any useful information :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Since there is no fiche yet for 2021 based 2 different rims on this:

·
Registered
111 Posts
BMW should make TPMS standard across the board like ABS as it is a safety feature. It is required on all new cars sold in the US since 2008. The more TPMS is installed the cheaper the cost per unit. Better to have TPMS tell you your tire is going flat at 75mph than a worsening weave as the tire goes flat. It gives you more warning time.

·
Registered
620 Posts
BMW should make TPMS standard across the board like ABS as it is a safety feature. It is required on all new cars sold in the US since 2008. The more TPMS is installed the cheaper the cost per unit. Better to have TPMS tell you your tire is going flat at 75mph than a worsening weave as the tire goes flat. It gives you more warning time.
Pretty much has been unless you special ordered a bike. Very hard to find a non-premium bike on the showroom floor. BMW is their own worst enemy on this one. Good news is that it's probably only a few RTs at each dealer. My dealer is getting one of each color.

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #349
I actually put my hand on one at my dealer last Saturday. Didn't bother to ask what option was on the bike, since I already knew that none of the factory warehouse ones here in the US is equipped anywhere near what I want. I just wanted to get my eyes on the actual mounting of the TFT, and that looks quite solid! The actual bike itself looks the same as any wetheads or newer models. The physical differences are in the upper screen/cockpit/headlight areas, of course.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got an email back from BMW regarding the TPMS, and to say that it was "unimpressive" is likely the understatement of the year. In fact, it really did not even address my question.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got an email back
I am curious about they would have to say about the TPMS issue. Would you be willing to post the email?

I caught a construction staple in the front tire on my KTM when I was on a ride. I credit the TPMS on my
bike for l letting me know that I had a problem before that problem caused a much bigger problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am curious about they would have to say about the TPMS issue. Would you be willing to post the email?

I caught a construction staple in the front tire on my KTM when I was on a ride. I credit the TPMS on my
bike for l letting me know that I had a problem before that problem caused a much bigger problem.
My Email to them
I noticed that the TPMS is not an option in the new 2021 R1250RT. This seems strange still it is an important safety option and most riders will wait this option. Is it a supply issue and we it be able to be installed at a later date? If we can install it, will the need to be some type of software highlight?

Their reply
Thanks for contacting BMW Motorrad USA regarding the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) on the 2021 BMW R 1250 RT. I appreciate your inquiry.

While the TPMS is not a standard feature, it is an optional feature that you can choose prior to the manufacturing of the bike. You can look at all the optional equipment on our website at: Data & equipment | 2021 R 1250 RT.

My follow-on
Thanks for the email. However, for 2021 R1250RTs that have been shipped to the US, they don't have the TPMS feature and so can the TPMS be installed by the dealership? Also, looking at the "Build your Own" function, adding the TPMS is not available. So I can't select that optional equipment.

Have not heard back

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Email to them
I noticed that the TPMS is not an option in the new 2021 R1250RT. This seems strange still it is an important safety option and most riders will wait this option. Is it a supply issue and we it be able to be installed at a later date? If we can install it, will the need to be some type of software highlight?

Their reply
Thanks for contacting BMW Motorrad USA regarding the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) on the 2021 BMW R 1250 RT. I appreciate your inquiry.

While the TPMS is not a standard feature, it is an optional feature that you can choose prior to the manufacturing of the bike. You can look at all the optional equipment on our website at: Data & equipment | 2021 R 1250 RT.

My follow-on
Thanks for the email. However, for 2021 R1250RTs that have been shipped to the US, they don't have the TPMS feature and so can the TPMS be installed by the dealership? Also, looking at the "Build your Own" function, adding the TPMS is not available. So I can't select that optional equipment.

Have not heard back
I agree, that is a non-answer. Thank you for posting it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 2010 K1300S had it!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree, that is a non-answer. Thank you for posting it.
Basically, if you want TPMS, wait for a bike that has it. Same for the radio. Having things added later is an impossible thing most of the time with any auto and motorcycle manufacturer. If you buy it the way it is, that's the way it will be. Hence, the non-answer from BMW.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Basically, if you want TPMS, wait for a bike that has it. Same for the radio. Having things added later is an impossible thing most of the time with any auto and motorcycle manufacturer. If you buy it the way it is, that's the way it will be. Hence, the non-answer from BMW.
I asked my dealer this morning to check with BMW for me. He hadn’t heard about it. He reckons no matter the cost, if I ordered it, it will be fitted to my bike sooner or later.

Embarrassed to admit that I did go and have a sit on a ‘21 Goldwing yesterday in case the RT thing goes belly up!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Embarrassed to admit that I did go and have a sit on a ‘21 Goldwing yesterday in case the RT thing goes belly up!
I wouldn't do that if you like to ride twisty roads. On the other hand Honda probably has the electronics perfect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My second choice would be the Indian Charger but I would much rather get the RT. I've
sold my HD now and summer is coming soon so I hope that I can work the deal on the
BMW soon. I just wish they would be more forthcoming as to when they think that the
audio and TPMS situations are going to be resolved.

341 - 360 of 378 Posts