BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

321 - 340 of 378 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Where do you find out how to run the VIN? I am also waiting on a build.
I used the same one as Hammick. Mdecoder.com

On the bright side - the Ducati Multistrada V4S in the same dealer that I ALMOST bought is one of the ones requiring a new engine. So things could always be worse!

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
Why did it need a new engine? (My son-in-law has a Monster).

·
Registered
91 Posts
It’s just for the new V4 Multstrada.

Why did it need a new engine? (My son-in-law has a Monster).
Recall number: SRV-RCL-21-002 | : 21V-212
Update date: Mar 29, 2021
Recall Campaign status: Open
The engine valve guides may experience excessive wear, and can lead to the mechanical breakage of the valve head in the concerned cylinder. The engine will no longer be able to deliver the intended power output and this could lead to potentially dangerous situations. As a result, acceleration and performance may be reduced, thus not meeting the rider’s expectations and increasing the risk of crash.
Ducati notification date to NHTSA: March 26, 2021. Ducati will notify owners, and dealers will install another engine on the motorcycle, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin March 29, 2021. Owners may contact Ducati customer service at 1-888-391-5446. Ducati's number for this recall is SRV-RCL-21-002

One out of the two Multis that my dealer had is affected. Looks like quite a widespread problem for early bikes.
It’s funny, after my 2004 R1200GS I swore that I’d never have another 1st year bike. That was one reason I chose the ‘facelift’ RT despite the 1300 coming around the corner. If the RT has any issues, at least we (and BMW) know about them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well, I might have overstated it but I think it’s accepted that BMW have a 1300 boxer engine in the wings and that the latest GS and now RT are the last hurrah before a major update. It’s totally a guess on my part but the pandemic will have delayed any plans so who knows when the new versions will roll out? 2022/2023?

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
477 Posts
There was some links somewhere that I saw where the 1300 would be getting the "M" badge. So it may be a limited deal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
With regards to the TPMS, the one I am getting this week also does not have one. My dealer said that it can be reto-fitted but then I just talked to a rep from BMW customer service and he told me no, they cannot be reto-fitted. I also sent an email, so I would like to hear back from them. Very confusing. Does anyone have any information on this? It makes no sense that it could not be added later, since would BMW really have a different software for different RTs?

·
Premium Member
2020 R1250RT Alpine White
105 Posts
In my 2020 R1250RT the RDC (TPMS) unit installs under the top case and the connector runs into the right side harness. Repair instructions cover replacement of the unit and reprogramming of the master computer etc. If that connector is under your top case (or back seat and luggage rack) it would seem that part of the retrofit installation would be easy if the RDC module itself was currently in short supply due to the current chip issue. If that connector isn't there, then maybe the talk about not being able to be retro-fitted could be accurate.

Also the wheels would also need to have TPMS sensors installed.

Larry

·
Registered
18 Posts
In my 2020 R1250RT the RDC (TPMS) unit installs under the top case and the connector runs into the right side harness. Repair instructions cover replacement of the unit and reprogramming of the master computer etc. If that connector is under your top case (or back seat and luggage rack) it would seem that part of the retrofit installation would be easy if the RDC module itself was currently in short supply due to the current chip issue. If that connector isn't there, then maybe the talk about not being able to be retro-fitted could be accurate.

Also the wheels would also need to have TPMS sensors installed.

Larry
Would require new rims too. The rims are the one for no TPMS sensor, valve stem on the spoke. Over $2200 just for the rims! What also sucks about the rims that came with the bike is that you can't use a TPMS system that screws onto the valve stem. I tried and the front one hits the brake caliper, but rear works!

·
Premium Member
2020 R1250RT Alpine White
105 Posts
Would require new rims too. The rims are the one for no TPMS sensor, valve stem on the spoke. Over $2200 just for the rims! ...
YIKES!!! Didn't know that and that sucks big time. Wow, feeling very lucky that I saw the BMW offers on 2020 RT's at the time that I did.

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
It’s just for the new V4 Multstrada.

Recall number: SRV-RCL-21-002 | : 21V-212
Update date: Mar 29, 2021
Recall Campaign status: Open
The engine valve guides may experience excessive wear, and can lead to the mechanical breakage of the valve head in the concerned cylinder. The engine will no longer be able to deliver the intended power output and this could lead to potentially dangerous situations. As a result, acceleration and performance may be reduced, thus not meeting the rider’s expectations and increasing the risk of crash.
Ducati notification date to NHTSA: March 26, 2021. Ducati will notify owners, and dealers will install another engine on the motorcycle, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin March 29, 2021. Owners may contact Ducati customer service at 1-888-391-5446. Ducati's number for this recall is SRV-RCL-21-002

One out of the two Multis that my dealer had is affected. Looks like quite a widespread problem for early bikes.
It’s funny, after my 2004 R1200GS I swore that I’d never have another 1st year bike. That was one reason I chose the ‘facelift’ RT despite the 1300 coming around the corner. If the RT has any issues, at least we (and BMW) know about them.
Looks like they have some very serious issues!

First year bike? I don't think of the '21 RT wholly as a first year bike. The basic bike is in it's 3rd year. What's new, and REALLY new, is the added functionalities which are all electronics or electrical in nature. Easy to modify or even replace. Well, relatively speaking anyway!!! :)

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
With regards to the TPMS, the one I am getting this week also does not have one. My dealer said that it can be reto-fitted but then I just talked to a rep from BMW customer service and he told me no, they cannot be reto-fitted. I also sent an email, so I would like to hear back from them. Very confusing. Does anyone have any information on this? It makes no sense that it could not be added later, since would BMW really have a different software for different RTs?
It probably have to do with the receiver for the TPMS! If the option isn't installed, then the receiver isn't there. The real question is whether the receiver is a stand-alone module or integrated into another controller?

Oops, just read the other post that reminds me that the TPMS is a separate stand-alone module! I should have remembered that, since that is where I made the connection to graft in the Canopenner for the Clearwater lights on my present '15 RT!

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
Would require new rims too. The rims are the one for no TPMS sensor, valve stem on the spoke. Over $2200 just for the rims! What also sucks about the rims that came with the bike is that you can't use a TPMS system that screws onto the valve stem. I tried and the front one hits the brake caliper, but rear works!
Don't think so! My '15 RT has the front wheel valve in the spoke, and I have TPMS! This is one item that I would rather NOT have missing!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I see something strange in the picture I've attached. Looks like the rim has both a spoke valve and another regular valve. My 2019 with TPMS has the spoke valve. I'm not sure what the other one is - maybe for non-TPMS configurations? You also can clearly see it on the rear wheel.

·
Registered
620 Posts
TPMs can be retrofitted to a Wethead and done cheaper than the factory option if you source parts from Fleabay. You can read how I did it on my '16 GSW here.

·
Registered
620 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Looks like they have some very serious issues!

First year bike? I don't think of the '21 RT wholly as a first year bike. The basic bike is in it's 3rd year. What's new, and REALLY new, is the added functionalities which are all electronics or electrical in nature. Easy to modify or even replace. Well, relatively speaking anyway!!! :)
Yes that’s what I was (clumsily) trying to say. I don’t think of the ‘21 RT as a first year bike at all. The only issues that could arise should be teething problems with the new tech.
What’s ‘funny’ is that the real problems might be caused by bikes turning up missing important (and paid for) components. Honestly, if the TPMS isn’t able to be retrofitted I’ll be thinking long and hard about rejecting the bike no matter what financial incentives BMW offer. Also my Denali Cansmart plugs into the TPMS as well so there’s that!

·
Registered
91 Posts
So I just spoke with BMW NA customer support and they wouldn’t talk about the TPMS situation at all with me. Speak to your dealer is all I could get out of them.

My dealer doesn’t know anything about the bike arriving without TPMS...

Great

·
Registered
620 Posts
BMW even has a "Retrofit Tire Pressure Monitor" on their parts fiche for the R1250RT. It can certainly be done but will be $1,000 plus if done by a dealer with parts at MSRP and labor.

My '16 GS had to be hooked to my dealer's computer to enable TPMS after I installed the TPMS module under the passenger seat and the TPMS sensors.

321 - 340 of 378 Posts