BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick update.

You guys may, or may not have seen another thread indicating that the bike is available to be configured and ordered in the UK. So, I went on the motorrad UK site and checked it out, to see exactly what is available as options for this new bike. You can do the same here: BMW Motorrad configurator - all models, colours, packages and prices

There were a couple of things that caught my attention.

First, there was a thread here about somebody wanting to put a GS handlebar on the RT. Well, that is an option that will be available on this new RT!

Second, of more interest to me, is that the auxiliary fog light is now a selectable option rather than being an automatic part of a package, as for the 2019 and 2020 models. Good news for me, since I want to use my Clearwater lights in those locations instead of the BMW, and don't want to have to pay for the BMW lights!

Take a look. There may be other things that are of interests to you. Oh, I just remember one other option that was of interest. I want to order the blue RT, which comes with the lower sports shield, BUT one could select the same bike and change the shield to the taller shield at no costs. That option wasn't available for the 2020 model.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
448 Posts
I didn't like those LED's coming with the high end model automatically either. I like my Darla's better. My thought was if I bought a bike with the factory LED spots, I was going to extend the wiring and mount them to the forks. Then mount my Darla's to the Ilium bars like I have now.
Not that I was planning on replacing my RT just yet...

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
...First, there was a thread here about somebody wanting to put a GS handlebar on the RT. Well, that is an option that will be available on this new RT!
Hi Pad, where have you seen that? from the pictures, the handlebars are the same set-up as on all the RT's from 2014.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Those may not be the exact packages and options offered here in the US though ... I'm pretty sure that in the past there were different configs/package groups available in Europe. I certainly hope we get the same options without having to select a more expensive overall package but we probably won't know for sure until closer to US launch.

Reactions: PadG

·
Registered
24 Posts
@bandytales- re tubular handlebars. They're a selectable option on the configurator. If you rotate the picture view, so you're viewing the bike from behind, then select the tubular bars option, the picture changes to show them. Looks like they may make raising the bars simpler, by using GS-style extenders.
Hope this helps!:)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Looking at possibly getting a 2021 R1250RT for its latest tech advancements. However, there’s really not a lot of information on it right now. I know no one really has any info at this point, but these are the questions I have:
  • Can 2 headsets be connected to the TFT system, and do they need to be BMW headsets?
  • Is SiriusXM available?
  • How do you bring a GPX file into the navigation system for routing?
  • How large a phone will fit into the right storage compartment with the “Comfort Telephony System” added?
  • What version of Bluetooth is now being used with the TFT?
  • Will a new “BMW Motorrad Connected” app be used to connect to the TFT system, or the current app which seems to be lacking and buggy according to reviews?

I expect these questions won’t get answers until the bike is actually out or has been reviewed, but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

·
Registered
405 Posts
We already have an answer to your GPX file question. The GPX needs to be imported to the BMW Connected app on your cell phone. Maps also are downloaded on your cell. The connected app is what controls the displays on the TFT.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
@bandytales- re tubular handlebars. They're a selectable option on the configurator. If you rotate the picture view, so you're viewing the bike from behind, then select the tubular bars option, the picture changes to show them. Looks like they may make raising the bars simpler, by using GS-style extenders.
Hope this helps!:)
Thanks to both PadG and RTs4me for showing me that. I do like that adjustability option.

·
Registered
160 Posts
We already have an answer to your GPX file question. The GPX needs to be imported to the BMW Connected app on your cell phone. Maps also are downloaded on your cell. The connected app is what controls the displays on the TFT.
According to what I’ve read so far, the TFT system uses Wi-Fi to connect with the phone for navigation, but still uses Bluetooth for music. I think the current BMW Connected app only uses Bluetooth right now, so that’s why I was wondering.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So the integrated navigation in the TFT is going to be a BMW proprietary NAV system? That would be unfortunate— I would’ve thought Apple and android airplay it would’ve been used since it’s so widely available and you can load various navigation tools on it. The cars I’ve owned with proprietary NAV systems are generally poor, and map updates ridiculously expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
702 Posts
So the integrated navigation in the TFT is going to be a BMW proprietary NAV system? That would be unfortunate— I would’ve thought Apple and android airplay it would’ve been used since it’s so widely available and you can load various navigation tools on it. The cars I’ve owned with proprietary NAV systems are generally poor, and map updates ridiculously expensive.
If this is the case, that BMW is the vendor for the map updates. I would seriously consider not moving to the 2021 RT.
The info above about using the WiFii to link the nav from phone to TFT, is something I see as a power drain on the phone & battery's not lasting on your cell, with all the charging going on.

·
Registered
405 Posts
So the integrated navigation in the TFT is going to be a BMW proprietary NAV system? That would be unfortunate— I would’ve thought Apple and android airplay it would’ve been used since it’s so widely available and you can load various navigation tools on it. The cars I’ve owned with proprietary NAV systems are generally poor, and map updates ridiculously expensive

The app is from TomTom BMW Motorrad | TomTom
App and maps downloads are free.
"These features include TomTom’s map data, Real-Time Traffic, weather and speed camera information."

How good, or bad, it's going to be remains to be seen. I hope they get it right but in the mean time I'm not selling my Nav VI.

·
Registered
33 Posts
According to this - Connectivity - the BMW Motorrad Connectivity system on the phone is “supported by TomTom.”

I don’t view this as a plus, personally. Proprietary systems like this just aren’t usually flexible, user friendly, and end up not playing well with other apps. I love the idea of using the power of the smartphone, since a ton of people already have those on them. But they should just let you link your phone and allow the user to select what apps are used (i.e., CarPlay). I realize this is more about control and licensing, but it’s 2021 and user control is key.

·
Premium Member
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't like those LED's coming with the high end model automatically either. I like my Darla's better. My thought was if I bought a bike with the factory LED spots, I was going to extend the wiring and mount them to the forks. Then mount my Darla's to the Ilium bars like I have now.
Not that I was planning on replacing my RT just yet...
I have a pair of Krista, and I think they are just too large for fork mount. I am going to install the Ztechnik bars on the new bike, and so I can't install an extra set of lights there either. My only option left is under-mirrors mount, which, just my opinion, I don't like the looks of the lights in those locations location.

I was going to order the 2020 1250RT back in late February, and I was going to ask them to see if they can eliminate those lights from their ordering system. I also wanted the sport shield (keeping the Werk shield from my present RT for real travels), but that was only available as standard for the red one (I wanted the Blue Planet), and I would have to pay extra for that, and ending up with 2 shields (3 counting the Werk), which was another thing that I had wanted my dealer to see if that can be changed. Turns out, I didn't even go in, because 2 days before the day that I had planned on going to see the dealer, the stock market took a big plunge, from the COVID impact, and so I decided to hold onto my fund instead of making the purchase, to make potentially more money. The summary is that, by holding off that purchase, I can very easily consider that I am getting this new bike for free, along with a real major upgrade!!! ;)

·
Premium Member
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looking at possibly getting a 2021 R1250RT for its latest tech advancements. However, there’s really not a lot of information on it right now. I know no one really has any info at this point, but these are the questions I have:
  • Can 2 headsets be connected to the TFT system, and do they need to be BMW headsets?
  • Is SiriusXM available?
  • How do you bring a GPX file into the navigation system for routing?
  • How large a phone will fit into the right storage compartment with the “Comfort Telephony System” added?
  • What version of Bluetooth is now being used with the TFT?
  • Will a new “BMW Motorrad Connected” app be used to connect to the TFT system, or the current app which seems to be lacking and buggy according to reviews?

I expect these questions won’t get answers until the bike is actually out or has been reviewed, but it doesn’t hurt to ask.
I also have some of similar questions, and the answer to one of yours can be found within the selector. Specifically:

"The Comfort phone tray with extended smartphone connection is a lockable storage compartment with inductive charging function and USB charging socket. It holds smartphones up to a size of 140 x 70 x 7.5 mm (including plug when used with USB and a protective cover) and has a thermostatically controlled fan."

·
Premium Member
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’ve heard Garmin is the map vendor.
That would have been my guess. I like to plan my routes offline, and so I still would like to see something more specific about that.

·
Premium Member
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The app is from TomTom BMW Motorrad | TomTom
App and maps downloads are free.
"These features include TomTom’s map data, Real-Time Traffic, weather and speed camera information."

How good, or bad, it's going to be remains to be seen. I hope they get it right but in the mean time I'm not selling my Nav VI.
Thanks for that!!!! :)

·
Premium Member
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
According to this - Connectivity - the BMW Motorrad Connectivity system on the phone is “supported by TomTom.”

I don’t view this as a plus, personally. Proprietary systems like this just aren’t usually flexible, user friendly, and end up not playing well with other apps. I love the idea of using the power of the smartphone, since a ton of people already have those on them. But they should just let you link your phone and allow the user to select what apps are used (i.e., CarPlay). I realize this is more about control and licensing, but it’s 2021 and user control is key.

I guess that we will have to wait and see. I am buying one for sure, since this is going to be my last bike, and I will let you guys know how they work out. Presently, my Garmin app is connected to my Nav V, but quite frankly the data provided by that app, without paying for subscriptions, are, IMO, mainly useless and incorrect (traffic congestion warnings, in particular).

1 - 20 of 63 Posts