BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
110 Posts
On Tuesday, BMW recommended to move the actual antenna puck under the passenger seat on top of the radio module. Dealer did so...
Did they remove the antennae in the front under the windshield?

Or did they leave it and add a new one under your passenger seat?

Would be interesting to see what a passenger + top case does to the reception - i.e. are they just kicking the issue down the road or are they actually solving it...

Reactions: RobRT

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did they remove the antennae in the front under the windshield?

Or did they leave it and add a new one under your passenger seat?

Would be interesting to see what a passenger + top case does to the reception - i.e. are they just kicking the issue down the road or are they actually solving it...
They actually moved the antenna puck which is internal and not visible. I have the top case on and it does not affect the reception- have to test with passenger.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Update---Sirius satellite reception issue resolved by BMW --- I have been working with the dealer and BMW for three months to resolve the issue. On Tuesday, BMW recommended to move the actual antenna puck under the passenger seat on top of the radio module. Dealer did so and so far, I have perfect reception but, planning to test it with a passenger this Sunday.
Can't wait to see if this works even with a passenger.....still amazed they obviously didn't test it much in the USA prior to releasing it otherwise this would not be such a prevalent issue....

·
Registered
'22 1250 GSA next week. '17 RTW ready to trade.
238 Posts
Ironic how BMW listened to riders who hated the radio antenna sticking out and hid it under the fairing. Of course, this is why XM reception no longer works.

I have a good friend who was all amped up to get a new RT with the TFT. Until he found out how BMW implemented the infotainment system. What does he have now? A 2020 Goldwing Tour DCT. He was a long time BMW owner. BMW's new TFT/Infotainment is so bad they are losing customers.
XM reception was bad on the 1200 Wetheads too...but the actual distortion coming from the BMW preamp/DAC was worse. I Seriusly (get it?) could not understand any sung or spoken words on the thing. I ended up just linking to my phone and letting it do all the work.

---
The new '22 GSA with TFT is better at processing the music. I haven't tried XM...but playing my recorded tunes from the phone sounds fine...but is a PITA to use. I turn on Cardo Packtalk Slim Bluetooth and it takes over a minute for the bike to allow it in. Then I have to turn on the music manually each time by scrolling menus with the wonderwheel. Verbal "Hey Cardo" instructions no longer work for volume, music on, music off, next track etc. If I want a change, I need to scroll back to the Media menu again with the wonderwheel. Cardo will "Mute Audio" though...That's good when you need the music off quickly. Quality is OK though.

Latest problem is that I'm getting static, like it thinks I hit the wonderwheel to change track but it's not sure. I'm purposely keeping my paws far from the wheel. Sometimes when this happens, I'll advance the song...push right on the wheel...and it'll stay on the same song but the static goes away. I'm also seeing some unrequested commands sent to the Nav VI from time to time. When it happens, it happens a lot...and the commands aren't easy to reverse. This problem can make you crazy if you actually need an instruction while it's weirding out.

Have to go in for 600 mile inspection soon and I'm making a list.

Reactions: dpickens

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
110 Posts
how did they get the puck out of the mushroom?
Yep - that's what I want to know as well.

If I were to hazard a guess, the mushroom is still there and the dealer just added a new antenna under the seat, leaving the old one in place but disconnected.

Is the mushroom gone or still there?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Has anyone tried to rotate the mushroom or remove it? I want to mount a GPS above the TFT but the thing is in the way. I relocated the XM antenna on my 2019 RT replacing it with a aftermarket antenna moving it top the top box. I plan to do the same with my 2022 triple black.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update---Sirius satellite reception issue resolved by BMW --- I have been working with the dealer and BMW for three months to resolve the issue. On Tuesday, BMW recommended to move the actual antenna puck under the passenger seat on top of the radio module. Dealer did so and so far, I have perfect reception but, planning to test it with a passenger this Sunday. View attachment 177942
Unfortunately, I completely lost reception once I tested it with a passenger. I advised the dealer on Monday and just received an email that BMW wants to try installing a new antenna. I do not have any further details- antenna is in Germany and two weeks out. I will keep you all posted.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Unfortunately, I completely lost reception once I tested it with a passenger. I advised the dealer on Monday and just received an email that BMW wants to try installing a new antenna. I do not have any further details- antenna is in Germany and two weeks out. I will keep you all posted.
Any update on the replacement antenna - tired of using XM Radio app on cell phone after paying $500 for a radio on the bike :(
Obviously I'd prefer a fix from BMW at no cost to me except for my time....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any update on the replacement antenna - tired of using XM Radio app on cell phone after paying $500 for a radio on the bike :(
Obviously I'd prefer a fix from BMW at no cost to me except for my time....
Sorry, forgot to update this forum- all was fine until I rode with my passenger and I completely lost signal ...BMW NA advised my dealer that they want to try a new antenna which I am still waiting for it to arrive..it's been two weeks now..

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT
194 Posts
Sorry, forgot to update this forum- all was fine until I rode with my passenger and I completely lost signal ...BMW NA advised my dealer that they want to try a new antenna which I am still waiting for it to arrive..it's been two weeks now..

sorry... couldn't resist...

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Have them move the antenna to on top of the master brake cylinder. Doesn't look pretty but works flawlessly. I used the magnets that came with it and emblem tape holds them in place. If I had to move it out of the way to get to the master cylinder it's a snap.

Attachments

61 - 74 of 74 Posts