BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
61 - 80 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
215 Posts
On Tuesday, BMW recommended to move the actual antenna puck under the passenger seat on top of the radio module. Dealer did so...
Did they remove the antennae in the front under the windshield?

Or did they leave it and add a new one under your passenger seat?

Would be interesting to see what a passenger + top case does to the reception - i.e. are they just kicking the issue down the road or are they actually solving it...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did they remove the antennae in the front under the windshield?

Or did they leave it and add a new one under your passenger seat?

Would be interesting to see what a passenger + top case does to the reception - i.e. are they just kicking the issue down the road or are they actually solving it...
They actually moved the antenna puck which is internal and not visible. I have the top case on and it does not affect the reception- have to test with passenger.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Update---Sirius satellite reception issue resolved by BMW --- I have been working with the dealer and BMW for three months to resolve the issue. On Tuesday, BMW recommended to move the actual antenna puck under the passenger seat on top of the radio module. Dealer did so and so far, I have perfect reception but, planning to test it with a passenger this Sunday.
Can't wait to see if this works even with a passenger.....still amazed they obviously didn't test it much in the USA prior to releasing it otherwise this would not be such a prevalent issue....

Reactions: dpickens

·
Registered
'22 1250 GSA next week. '17 RTW ready to trade.
267 Posts
Ironic how BMW listened to riders who hated the radio antenna sticking out and hid it under the fairing. Of course, this is why XM reception no longer works.

I have a good friend who was all amped up to get a new RT with the TFT. Until he found out how BMW implemented the infotainment system. What does he have now? A 2020 Goldwing Tour DCT. He was a long time BMW owner. BMW's new TFT/Infotainment is so bad they are losing customers.
XM reception was bad on the 1200 Wetheads too...but the actual distortion coming from the BMW preamp/DAC was worse. I Seriusly (get it?) could not understand any sung or spoken words on the thing. I ended up just linking to my phone and letting it do all the work.

---
The new '22 GSA with TFT is better at processing the music. I haven't tried XM...but playing my recorded tunes from the phone sounds fine...but is a PITA to use. I turn on Cardo Packtalk Slim Bluetooth and it takes over a minute for the bike to allow it in. Then I have to turn on the music manually each time by scrolling menus with the wonderwheel. Verbal "Hey Cardo" instructions no longer work for volume, music on, music off, next track etc. If I want a change, I need to scroll back to the Media menu again with the wonderwheel. Cardo will "Mute Audio" though...That's good when you need the music off quickly. Quality is OK though.

Latest problem is that I'm getting static, like it thinks I hit the wonderwheel to change track but it's not sure. I'm purposely keeping my paws far from the wheel. Sometimes when this happens, I'll advance the song...push right on the wheel...and it'll stay on the same song but the static goes away. I'm also seeing some unrequested commands sent to the Nav VI from time to time. When it happens, it happens a lot...and the commands aren't easy to reverse. This problem can make you crazy if you actually need an instruction while it's weirding out.

Have to go in for 600 mile inspection soon and I'm making a list.

Reactions: dpickens

·
Registered
169 Posts
They actually moved the antenna puck which is internal and not visible. I have the top case on and it does not affect the reception- have to test with passenger.
how did they get the puck out of the mushroom?

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
215 Posts
how did they get the puck out of the mushroom?
Yep - that's what I want to know as well.

If I were to hazard a guess, the mushroom is still there and the dealer just added a new antenna under the seat, leaving the old one in place but disconnected.

Is the mushroom gone or still there?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Has anyone tried to rotate the mushroom or remove it? I want to mount a GPS above the TFT but the thing is in the way. I relocated the XM antenna on my 2019 RT replacing it with a aftermarket antenna moving it top the top box. I plan to do the same with my 2022 triple black.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Update---Sirius satellite reception issue resolved by BMW --- I have been working with the dealer and BMW for three months to resolve the issue. On Tuesday, BMW recommended to move the actual antenna puck under the passenger seat on top of the radio module. Dealer did so and so far, I have perfect reception but, planning to test it with a passenger this Sunday. View attachment 177942
Unfortunately, I completely lost reception once I tested it with a passenger. I advised the dealer on Monday and just received an email that BMW wants to try installing a new antenna. I do not have any further details- antenna is in Germany and two weeks out. I will keep you all posted.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Unfortunately, I completely lost reception once I tested it with a passenger. I advised the dealer on Monday and just received an email that BMW wants to try installing a new antenna. I do not have any further details- antenna is in Germany and two weeks out. I will keep you all posted.
Any update on the replacement antenna - tired of using XM Radio app on cell phone after paying $500 for a radio on the bike :(
Obviously I'd prefer a fix from BMW at no cost to me except for my time....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any update on the replacement antenna - tired of using XM Radio app on cell phone after paying $500 for a radio on the bike :(
Obviously I'd prefer a fix from BMW at no cost to me except for my time....
Sorry, forgot to update this forum- all was fine until I rode with my passenger and I completely lost signal ...BMW NA advised my dealer that they want to try a new antenna which I am still waiting for it to arrive..it's been two weeks now..

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Sorry, forgot to update this forum- all was fine until I rode with my passenger and I completely lost signal ...BMW NA advised my dealer that they want to try a new antenna which I am still waiting for it to arrive..it's been two weeks now..
Have them move the antenna to on top of the master brake cylinder. Doesn't look pretty but works flawlessly. I used the magnets that came with it and emblem tape holds them in place. If I had to move it out of the way to get to the master cylinder it's a snap.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, the new antenna finally arrived and installed and it was worse than the previous. At this point, I had them relocate it below the passenger seat and ask BMW for compensation. I am done with this 🙂.

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
215 Posts
Well, the new antenna finally arrived and installed and it was worse than the previous. At this point, I had them relocate it below the passenger seat and ask BMW for compensation. I am done with this 🙂.
Mine arrived, was installed but not activated properly until last week. Managed a short ride or two, and can confirm that XM reception is spotty. Was initially getting alternating 1 min of audio / 1 min of silence... with an occasional "signal lost" message popping up. But no XM Station Logos or Album art at all. 2nd ride was a little better in that I managed to get Station Logos / Album art but the longest stretch of audio was about 2 songs, maybe 3.

I'm wondering if this isn't a TFT interference issue and that shielding between the TFT and the mushroom antenna would be part of the solution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is a great solution posted on another forum.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
The first attempt I did was with a cheap square antenna from amazon and it didn't work out so well. Then I bought the antenna and extension wire from BMW that was used in the 2018 K1600 that works flawlessly. I don't know if it's a case of impedance matching or what, but my XM reception is perfect 99% of the time. XM signals work on line of sight, if I hover my hand over the antenna I lose reception. So placement of the antenna is of great importance if you want constant XM reception. The original pod design behind the windshield was a stupid idea because the metal arms of the windshield support become a faraday cage when the windshield is raised and that blocks the signal........DUH..........

·
Registered
52 Posts
So I went ahead and spent the extra $500+ to get the Alpine radio module for my RT to have XM as an option for music.
However the RECEPTION IS HORRIBLE - I get 2-3 seconds of music followed by 15 seconds or more of silence as it loses signal CONSTANTLY.

Does anyone know of a BMW fix for this?
I know I can go SPEND MORE money to get an aftermarket antenna and relocate it to the top box, but I'd rather it be integrated like BMW meant it to be.

GS911 scan info of bike and that module is as follows (need 2112.04 GS911 software) :

Bike Information : -
VIN : WB10L0302M6E68754
Model : R 1250 RT (K52)
Factory I-Level : K001-21-03-505
Actual I-Level : K001-21-11-500
Backup I-Level : K001-21-03-505

UNKNOWN : -
Controller Type : Unknown
Controller Name : UNKNOWN
Controller : 0x0F8910
Serial Number : 0000611508
Manufacturer : Alpine GmbH
Manufacture Date (YY/MM/DD) : 21/06/01
Firmware Date (YY/MM/DD) : 21/06/01
Kilometers when programmed : 0.00
Number of FW configurations : 7
HW Electronics (HWEL) :
Firmware ID : 0x64DE
Firmware Version : 004.003.000
Bootloader (BTLD) :
Firmware ID : 0x0006
Firmware Version : 004.000.001
SW Memory Image (SWFL) :
Firmware ID : 0x7862
SW Memory Image (SWFL) :
Firmware ID : 0x7863
SW Memory Image (SWFL) :
Firmware ID : 0x7864
SW Memory Image (SWFL) :
Firmware ID : 0x7860
Coding Data (CAFD) :
Firmware ID : 0x64E0
Firmware Version : 003.000.014
Same here. If the windscreen on my 2022 BMW R1250RT, with the factory installed satellite and HD radio, is raised more than half way up, my satellite radio starts to cut out. If I raise it up all the way up, forget it. It just cuts out, no signal. So if I don't want to raise the windscreen I've got good satellite radio reception, but if I raise the windscreen at all it starts to degrade pretty quickly and halfway up I'll get no signal pretty readily. Poor poor design or quality of the satellite radio antenna and/or its placement so close to the windscreen brackets. Dealership has had the bike twice for a total of 4 days and only updated the software to the 013 version, which is the latest and that didn't help at all for the radio reception. In fact it seems like it made the HD radio reception worse, but didn't do anything for the satellite radio reception. I'm getting, "We've never heard of this before" from the deslership, but when I look online it appears that this has been a constant problem with BMW radios going back to at least 2015. Frustrating To spend $30K on a bike And neither the hd radio or the satellite radio work.

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
215 Posts
Just took my 2021 RT in for the 6000 mile service. Added this issue to the ticket.

Per the dealer, there is no service bulletin on this issue. He said he’s going to check PUMA next week.

If he can’t find anything, I’m going have the issue escalated to the Regional NA Rep.

61 - 80 of 137 Posts